Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (3 responses)

Posted March 02, 2016
Amazing school with incredible people proving a great education to a wonderfully diverse student body.

Posted February 29, 2016
My daughter has already been at SSMA for 3 years. During that time the school went through substantial growth and is constantly improving. All the staff is always very kind and helpful. My daughter is very happy there and I rarely hear her to say she don't want to go to school. She substantially improved her concentration skills. The best part or SSMA is the grace and courtesy teaching. Everyone is very polite and the children learn how to coexist with each other in a very gentle way. I love it and so does my daughter.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 29, 2016
I love the guides and appreciate their varied cultural background. SSMA puts emphasis on diversity and it is doing a great job.

Posted February 29, 2016
We have 2 daughters at SSMA, they love going to school and we know our girls are in good hands !!!

Posted February 26, 2016
Our daughter is in her 2nd year (PK4) at SSMA and we have had a wonderful experience and we are so excited about the future of this school.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 26, 2016
There are many people at this school I would like to thank. I will start at the top with the school's director, Dr. R. She has had so much to deal with over the last year and half that we have been there (location issues, going through 2 accredidation processes) and she handled it all with such amazing grace. She is a big reason I'm so excited about the school's future and I am so thankful for her. Of course I am also thankful for my daughter's teacher and the assistants in the classroom (but, Dr. R. was the one who hired them so she gets some credit for that too :D ).

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 26, 2016
Our daughter has learned a lot over the past year and a half and she likes school. She loves her teachers so it seems to me they are effective.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 26, 2016
The only "homework" she has been given are a calendar fun little activities to do. For example for PK3: Find something that feels smooth in your house. Go to the library and check out a book about fall. Name 5 things you are grateful for. Play the "I Spy" game - remember to take turns. Find some triangle shapes in your house. But no real homework which I think is perfect for 3 - 5 year olds. Her teacher will say, " just let them be children at home".

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 26, 2016
The school focuses on the whole child - not just the "three R's". In the primary class (PK3 through Kindergarten) they learn practical life skills, grace and courtesy, independence, what it means to be part of a community (sharing, waiting your turn, doing your part). They learn to respect and care for others.

Posted February 26, 2016
We are in our third year at Shining Stars, and our child loves going to school here. In all honesty, we did not choose this school for any particular reason, other than this is where we happened to "win" admission through the lottery. However, we now realize how incredibly lucky we were! The Montessori approach is remarkable, and our child is thriving. The teachers are excellent, and care deeply about the children and the work that goes on in the classroom. We also appreciate the diversity - both among students, as well as teachers and staff.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

1240 Randolph St NE, Washington, DC  20017
Last modified Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6