Posted April 15, 2015
I rate it a 4.5; there are some things missing like a library. Music is coming next year thanks to a fundraising effort by the PTO. We came to ITS from a Montessori school. We applied after talking to parents, attending family events & speaking with the exec. director. We found her to be very open and honest- admitting weaknesses, making no excuses, while providing well-thought out plans to make adjustments. The teaching staff is diverse, in terms of age, experience, gender & ethnicity. Our son had his first male classroom teacher, which was great. The families are diverse as well & very welcoming and friendly. For academics, the teachers seem to really know our children & work to provide activities to meet their needs. My youngest has been very excited about the different experiences (totally opposite of his last school). Our oldest is more of a 'go with the flow' kind of kid & has done well at ITS. He scored very well on his standardized tests last year, including a perfect score in math. While we certainly work with him, I must give credit to his fantastic teacher, who didn't teach to the test, but made sure students were exposed to wide variety of activities.

Posted February 19, 2015
We have been at the school since its founding nearly four years ago, and we are thrilled with the education our children are receiving. There have hiccups along the way, as one might expect with a new school, but our experience with the administration has been that they are open to parents' concerns, receptive to feedback, and always acting with the best interests of the students in the forefront of their minds. The teaching model really meets kids where they are and focuses not only on academics but on cultivating a sense of community. It's a remarkable place, and we have loved it here.

Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS 4

Posted February 19, 2015
As a founding family we've seen ITS through its growth years. With it has come some anticipated growing pains but also immeasurable care and concern for the students. As with all schools, sometimes ITS does not get it right the first time BUT they are a team with a growth mindset willing to learn from failures, hear concerns and respond with integrity. Our boys love school and look forward to sharing their favorite part of their day every evening around the dinner table. As all parents, we want what's best for our children so we'll always question - is this the BEST education they can get? Are they learning to LOVE learning and foster their IMAGINATION? Will they look back at their schooling with fondness? Do these things out way my adult frustrations with systems/policies and a handful of staff that don't seem the most effective? Most certainly. Would I recommend this school and the amazing community of families and staff to others? Indeed!

Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS 3

Posted February 03, 2015
We were drawn to ITS by the promise of hands-on learning. We left a Public School in 4th grade for the opportunity for our son to be at ITS. We ended up leaving ITS mid year. The problem was in part that the school made a bad teacher hire. That can happen anywhere. But the way the leadership dealt with the problem was very troubling -- treating parent complaints as disloyal, a lack of transparency about the process of replacing a teacher, and abandoning the responsibility for the children's learning while they sought a replacement -- leaving a nice but untrained paraprofessional in charge of the classroom. Instead of master teachers, our son had a sub-par teachers for 4 months. Homework was busywork. Ultimately, they replaced the teacher, but I could not trust my son's emotional well being or intellectual growth at ITS. I did not trust the leadership to accept parent input with open ears and a positive attitude. My son has more project based learning at Hearst, better teachers, and more stable and professional management system. Positives of ITS include awesome parents, diversity, several top notch teachers, kind staff, a wonderful mission, and excellent special ed leadership.

Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS 2

Posted January 27, 2015
Last year, I wrote a four-star review on this site, but this year I feel like ITS is losing its way. When we've tried to share our concerns and advocate for our kids, we are met with defensiveness and resistance rather than openness and partnership. We've seen less inspiration and a lot more traditional schooling this year--lots of boring worksheets, rote memorization and lectures, plus tighter classroom management that feels joyless. They are struggling with how to teach up to challenge high-performing kids and our child is bored as a result. I feel like the school has lost sight of its vision and progressive educational philosophy. When talking to parents about their experiences with the school, it's important to ask what grades their kids are in -- older grades seem more hit and miss.

Posted April 17, 2014
This school has been fantastic for my kids - they are learning a ton and really enjoying the environment. Also, it's small enough that there is a real sense of community.

Posted April 02, 2014
ITS is a wonderful school, my daughter has learned so much in her first year. The teachers, principal and student's relationship is much more than you would expect from a school. They are very personable and respectful to the kids and sensitive to all personalities and teach them how to work and get along with each other as a team and peers. My daughter is eager to go to school even when school is not in session due to the friendly atmosphere. I love that they have several methods of teaching subjects assuring that you learn the material in various ways. This school has been very nuturing for my daughter and she loves the way they make learning very interesting and fun.

Posted October 28, 2013
Since ITS is a school that develops children's habits of mind--their Intellect, Inquiry, Imagination and Integrity, the shift to the more rigorous Core Standards won't have that much impact on our classrooms. The school has been practicing a more rigorous and progressive learning environment since it opened 3 years ago. Since it never teaches to the CAS or any standardized test, children embrace learning for the pure joy of it. This school is a private school education for public school prices--they share the same rigor, passion for open ended materials and critical thinking, all in an inclusive and nurturing environment. It is a school that refuses to leave anyone behind.

Posted September 24, 2013
This school is great...my son is learning to love reading and they are great at teaching him at his level.

Posted August 04, 2013
The Inspired Teaching School is like no other. Kids thrive in this learning community because they are challenged every day, but at the same time are supported and encouraged to do things their own way. And, they have FUN. The quality of the teaching at ITS is second to none. We feel extremely fortunate to be part of this this exceptional school.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS
200 Douglas Street NE, Washington, DC  20009
Last modified Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Inspired Teaching Demonstration PCS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top