400 students|Basis Dc Pcs

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 06, 2015
I don't like that underclass students are given worksheets to work out of instead of real books

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted October 06, 2015
This school does not treat it's students fairly. The expect the students to be accountable for themselves but the staff rarely does the same. All they do is transfer and recycle teacher and staff but never fix the problem

BASIS DC PCS 1

Posted October 03, 2015
This school has a good blueprint but it's only been in Dc for 3 years. It's just getting used to the city and its rules. This school has had a different head of school every year and are always admitting fault but rarely actually fix any of their problems

Posted September 12, 2015
I am an 8th grade student that has been at BASIS since it opened and it is a great school if you are prepared for it. The topics are hard, and it's very stressful (the environment & work), but it prepares you for college very well. The teachers I personally really like and the students are really nice school. The two things I would say are bad about BASIS are: 1) There is a lot of homework (1.5- 4 hours) (depending on the night and person) and: 2) there is pretty much no natural light in the building, if you're lucky, there's more than one window in the classroom you're going to. So all in all, I recommend BASIS.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted September 12, 2015
My tae kwon do teacher, Mr. Crawford, teaches us respect and self-defense and adds just the right twist of fun into the class. I've learned so much from him, so I just want to give him a big thanks!

Posted March 25, 2015
Our son has attended this school since it opened 3 years ago. He loves it and plans to stay through high school. The academics are very challenging and includes lots of assessments and tests to see where students are/arent grasping the concepts. The vast majority of teachers are caring and strong especially in science and math. Administration could be stronger - been lots of turnover - but seems to be improving.

BASIS DC PCS 2

Posted March 23, 2015
Overall, the academic PLAN is outstanding. However, execution of this academic plan is failing and has failed many DC students. Please check with the DC Office of Student Engagement. An entrance exam would have helped to place the students, as the DCPS curriculum differs significantly from that of BASIS DC. Although my student carries an overall 90% average, everything to support student success is lacking, and the stress level on the students is obvious. The high turnover rate of teachers and administrative staff is both ineffective and embarrassing. I have no doubt that many of the glowing reviews are from the droves of Virginia/Maryland parents that we encounter on a daily basis, who are happy to have there kids in a school near jobs in downtown DC. E-mails and phone calls are not returned. School meetings rarely end amicably, which leads to many calls and meetings with the DC Charter School Board. In all honesty, the most important thing at this school is the TEACHER FUND!!! It saddens me that BASIS DC is yet another example of DC failing our inner city children. SIGH...we are anxiously awaiting the results of the DCPS lottery on 3/31/2015. You have been warned.

BASIS DC PCS 5

Posted January 01, 2015
Our son has been attending BASIS DC since it opened, and we continue to be impressed with the rigorous and challenging curriculum and content, I have been amazed at my son's intellectual growth, his mastery of math is becoming impressive, his interest in science has exploded, and he is becoming quite a good writer and voracious reader, all while still pursuing his own interests in history, sci-fi, and other things. He's also enjoyed quite a few of the after-school clubs and activities. While the coursework and workload is challenging, we have found the teachers and staff to be great to work with, when he missed days due to illness or other issues, we were easily able to make up the work, missed quizzes, and other things, thanks to student hours and other supports. BASIS goes far and beyond any school I ever attended in my youth.

Posted December 02, 2014
I think the school has some very hard working teachers and the curriculum is absolutely one of the best in the city. My child needs to work hard but his knowledge of arts and science is equivalent to knowledge of the children at any top private schools in DC area. Definitely recommend for kids who want to explore and learn. OUR FAMILY LOVE THE SCHOOL!

BASIS DC PCS 5

Posted October 19, 2014
We are so grateful for BASIS. Although DCPS is, from our experiences, improving, our kids had a rough time academically and socially for years. We found BASIS and our kids have thrived. There are plenty of supports--for all types of learners (one of our kids has special needs). Most importantly, our kids are excited about learning in ways we had not seen since preschool, and they have made the crucial shift to owning their learning, time management (they now average 1.5 hrs. of homework/night), etc. . . which has allowed them to engage in the rigor BASIS offers.

Find the great schools in Washington DC

410 8th Street, NW, Washington, DC  20004
Last modified BASIS DC PCS is a Charter school that serves grades 5-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
BASIS DC PCS Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top