Posted May 22, 2014
Wow I must say after reading the reviews I must be missing something. My daughter came from a Ross Elementary and Basis Charter School and we transferred to Barnard because of my job status change. I was excited about the year ahead but have mixed feelings. I do not feel my daughter has been taught to the standards I am use to seeing for her. Expections would be her English teacher and Social Studies teacher.- As a single Parent I cannot not be all the parent night meetings but do email regularly and have had her English teacher be the only one to respond to my concerns where my daughter is concerned. There is a disconnect with the other teachers- I find certian style of teachings lacking the passion the enthusiam my daughter is use to from her previous schools and therefore a lost of interest. Now regardless of who the teacher is this momma bear is much harder on her then anyone else can be and homework gets done regardless- I went from Upper Middle Class to Low income family because of my job status. And have noticed the difference in how a family is treated in not just the school aspect and that attitude has got to change. Quality Education should be for everyone

Posted April 30, 2014
My school has a very nurturing, loving academic environment which strives to meet each child at his/her academic level to achieve mastery.

Posted April 30, 2014
Barnard ES is a very nurturing school where children love to come. I like the fact that my child's needs are always considered and the teachers are never too busy to discuss my concerns about my child. I would like to see more language supports for ESL parents. There is a class, but more parents need to take advantage of it. I have been here for six years now and I am so glad I found this school. Some of my friends transferred to this school when they visited with me.Parents are really like partners not bystanders. Our input is received and children are given what they need to grow academically. Hey, they even had Saturday school, extended day and other programs to support high flyers and struggling students.

Posted April 30, 2014
Barnard Elementary School is a phenomenal school with many things to offer. Principal Reid and her staff work very hard to ensure that every child learns at their level and their pace in spite of all of the testing that students and teachers face! Be on the lookout! This school's data will blow your socks off in the next years to come!

Posted December 30, 2012
As a revious student I, Myself can say that Barnard Elementary school has prepared me for my current success as a 10th grade student. They Offer wonderful electives and have ground breaking teachers, Mrs.Sharon F. McCrea to name just one. As a student of many schools and teachers I can say that this school has a staff that actually cares about its students not only education but overall well being and happiness.

Posted August 23, 2012
We appreciate the concern for each student's TOTAL well-being. The staff is very concerned about the student's social development as well as academic achievement.

Posted November 29, 2011
Barnard is great school. I am very impressed by the teachers and the Principal, as they are pushing the kids to learn in the most fun way possible. My son loves going to school and comes home singing a new song at least twice a week. Barnard is doing a great job.

Posted October 11, 2011
i am very happy to have my daughter in this school .so far it is agreat school.

Posted June 19, 2011
Barnard is a great school. I have 1 child currently enrolled and one who graduated a year ago. Principal is Superb, Staff is very professional and my children love the school. I do not volunteer as often as I wanted to, but I was aware of the various activities that the PTA sponsored for all the students and staff at the school. It was a great Year. The PTA even got my retired mom to volunteer and she felt welcomed at the school. Barnard school encourages past students and parents and people in the neighborhood to be involved in this great school.

Posted December 17, 2010
I gave Barnard a 4 Star rating because it is "Above Average" for a DCPS school, but I think it is more of a 3.5 star School. I have a child that is currently attending Barnard. On the + side Barnard's current Principal, Dr Reid, is very dedicated to the success of the school & the teachers seem to be dedicated to giving the children a quality education. If those are the main things you seek from a school then you should be more than happy to send your child to Barnard. HOWEVER, if you seek more for your child, you may want to look elsewhere. Barnard does not have adequate administrative support. With 435 students there is no Asst Principal (due to a hiring freeze there won t be an Asst Principal position this year) As for resources, Barnard lacks clubs or activities for your child to participate in. Part of this is because of the ineffectiveness of the PTA at Barnard. Although it is "active" it has a lot of organizing (and re-organizing) to do before it MIGHT become an effective organization. Although the PTA is unsatisfactory, there is an Early Childhood Education group that just started and is making a little bit of progress. Again, overall, Barnard is a 3.5 school.

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Barnard Elementary School
430 Decatur Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified Barnard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barnard Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.