Posted April 30, 2014
I believe that the right school leader is the key ingredient to school turnaround. And Powell ES has an outstanding school leader who is so clearly focused on ensuring all students at Powell have a high-quality education. Our child (in english/spanish PK3) is thriving. And, we've seen remarkable progress by all the students in the class, regardless of race or socio-economic background, even those who started off way behind at the top of the year. What we most appreciate about Powell: 1. The principal 2. The teachers - dedicated, attentive. focused on student growth and continual progress 3. Tools of the Mind - we didn't have a strong preference before but we now really appreciate the foundation for self-discipline and focus that our child is building 4. The focus on parent engagement through the Flamboyan Foundation programs 5. The diversity - at a glance, the school is most obviously diverse in the youngest classrooms. But if you look more closely, there is great diversity across all grades and that diversity is explored and celebrated 6. The sense of community Truly, Powell is a wonderful, learning-rich school.

Posted April 29, 2014
My kids (second grade and Pre-K 4) started attending Powell this year and I simply cannot say enough good things about this school! My son especially has come a long way academically; he was a below-average student in his previous school (in Maryland), and has made significant strides this year to catch up to his peers. My daughter is doing great academically as well, and is growing in fluency in Spanish daily (she is in the dual language program). I love the teachers, staff and administration and they really do work well with the parents. Our school has a wonderful community. Next year my son will be in the Pre-K 3 program at Powell, and I can't wait. It's a real shame that Powell's 5 star rating is being dragged down by one 1 star comment (that honestly could have been written by my 2nd grader...). I do encourage anyone who doubts Powell's ratings to come and tour the school and see all that has been accomplished. This is truly a shining star among DCPS Schools.

Posted April 08, 2014
I love that the school is so welcoming. There is an amazing community and they are working hard to improve the test scores. Kids are happy. Teachers seem happy. They have practically done a home visit of about 95% of the students at the school. Great programs. And happy about the appropriation passed to remodel the school.

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter loves this school, we are from Brazil and I choose this one because is a dual language school, she is in Kinder, she can read and do math pretty good.

Posted December 20, 2013
Powell is a wonderful school. The following is an excerpt from a note is we sent to the principal: We are writing to express how much we appreciate the teaching team of Mr. X and Ms. Y. Our son is learning so much, from starting to sound out words and speaking Spanish in full sentences to learning to better regulate his emotions and exhibiting increased self confidence. Most importantly, he is happy and looks forward to going to school every day. Mr. X is a gem, and we tell this to everyone who asks us about our experience at Powell. He has an amazing ability to connect with his students. He talks to them and shows that he cares about what they are doing and how they are feeling. He works creatively with his students to solve conflicts in the classroom and on the playground, and we have seen the role playing he directs being put into action. Mr. X also goes above and beyond to communicate any issues or positive feedback related to our son. We even recall receiving a call on a Friday evening, long after the call of duty had ended. We feel very lucky that our son was placed in Mr. X's classroom and are happy we made the decision to enroll at Powell.

Posted December 14, 2013
Powell is a great school, their bilingual and early childhood education programs are strong. Powell is one of DCPS success stories with great gain in Math this year from 48% last year to 63% Proficient , and in Reading from 37% to 45% Proficient. Powell is one of the top 12 DCPS schools showing DC-CAS improvement in 2013. Our enrollment increased exponentially, from 219 in 2009 to 407 in 2013. The Embassy of Spain names Powell the second best bilingual school in the US. Principal Docal just won one of the seven 2013 Rubenstein Awards for DC Schools Leadership.

Posted December 13, 2013
Powell is a great place to have a child in early childhood education and parents should see it for themselves. We looked all over DC - DCPS, charter and private - and were thrilled with what they are actually doing in our child's class. Your sense of "reputation" or a quick look at "demographics" should not, I repeat, not, keep you from seeing what is going on at Powell. The Tools of the Mind curriculum for small kids is so fun, and engaging, and based on brain science. I feel jealous of my child! And the upper grades are doing well, with very, very fast gains in test scores. And the principal is very engaging and pouring her heart into this school and it is working. The parent organization is up and coming but still has improvements to make. All in all, a school like this is heartening for those who wonder if DCPS can succeed. Powell certainly can.

Posted August 23, 2013
The love and dedication towards our children here is beyond measure! The staff is dedicated beyond compare and works around the clock to provide the best for our children. I couldn't be more excited about the year to come and the progress that our students will achieve this year!!

Powell Elementary School 1

Posted June 04, 2013
This reviews are too good to be true. check your self the test scores, and also chek if this will be here tomorrow. The real review was in 2010, but after a bad real one they became crazy doing more and taking out all others. Loock yourself if is too good to be true, please think about.

Powell Elementary School 4

Posted May 29, 2013
My 3 year old is just finishing up her first year at Powell and has flourished at Powell! The staff and principal are incredibly responsive, talented, and dedicated. And the preschool classrooms will be renvoated for use next year! If you are thinking about this school PLEASE take a tour and see it for yourself. Powell currently offers one-hour tours from 8:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. every Tuesday. If you can't make it during school hours (which I highly recommend) call (202) 671-6270 to arrange an appointment. Additionally, the preschool classrooms are being renovated next year. We couldn't be happier.

Contact Information

1350 Upshur Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20011

School website

Find the great schools in Washington Dc

Powell Elementary School
1350 Upshur Street Northwest, Washington, DC  20011
Last modified Powell Elementary School is a public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Powell Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.