No rating

Anderson Island Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 5 students

Posted February 24, 2010

We are very happy with the small school. Our daughter has lots of friends and feels everyone likes her. This is such a better experience than she had at her old school.

Posted January 27, 2010

As a parent of a Kindergartner at this school I give it high marks. My child has learned to read by mid year, alphabetize and add. The current K-2 teacher is the best the school has had in the past 15 years. Staff is helpful & dedicated & administrator is doing a good job.

Posted January 26, 2010

We are pleased with the positive programs being implemented this year. The principal and staff care about my child's attitude and feelings, not just grades. I can really see a positive change in the school and children this year.

Posted March 20, 2007

We saw dramatic improvements enough to re-enroll after an ugly K-1. With only two teachers for 6 years (K-2 & 3-5) - parent/staff differences are exacerbated. District oversight and teacher accountability has been spotty. At the district level, former Asst. Sup. Paul Ganalon was the only person we trusted and found effective. Community and parent involvement are great. Overall, there is a genuine desire to put kids first and work together. Classrooms are multiage, so students work independently and classroom aides and volunteers are invaluable. For 3-5, the math program is probably weakest. With an atmosphere where kids shared openly what they appreciate about each other; disrespect and bullying are never tolerated. I could comment on the past K-2 class, but choose not to Expect to get involved and prepare to keep the district accountable for oversight and funding.

Posted January 20, 2007

My child attends AIE and has been suffering terribly due to the abusive and controlling nature of the teachers/staff. There is a serious lack of communication overall and parents are definitely not welcome. Be warned - over half of the comments on this forum have been made by the staff of AIE. Small class size means nothing if your child is spending their time with their head down on the desk crying. I'm pulling my child asap.

Posted December 31, 2006

Our boys were in Mrs. Wilson's class for three years. I had the opportunity to be a Para-educator at Anderson Island Elementary during those five years. I can tell you it was the best experience of my life working with Mrs. Wilson. With Mrs.Wilson and the other staff members we created the most incredible creative learning environment. Our boys are now in 6th and 8th grade and know what accountability means. This is one of the great gifts she has given to me and to my children. Terri Bruggeman

Posted December 30, 2006

Both of my boys attended Anderson Island Elementary. Since their earlier-grades teacher is now retired, I limit my comments to their 3rd-5th grade teacher. Mrs. Wilson is dedicated to her students, incredibly creative in her teaching methods, and creates a loving, safe, and fun atmosphere. Both of my boys loved school, missed it during breaks, and still think of Mrs. Wilson as a hero. They both now attend a large public school and began there very well prepared in all academic areas and have been very successful because of it, in great part due to Mrs. Wilson's caring guidance and insistence on accountability. I only wish that I had had her for a teacher.

Posted December 12, 2006

When we were deciding on whether or not to move out to Anderson Island the elementary school played a big role. Small class size, consistent classmates transportation were all qualities were loved. My child is only in Kindergarten, and so I don't have much to review against except this: my daughter is happy. She comes home every day with a new appreciation for learning and is always excited to go back for more. I attribute much of this to the energy and innovative of her teacher and the team of para-educators at the school. Their patience and perseverance with the children really seems to show.

Posted December 10, 2006

My child had previously attended another district before moving here. We were told prior to our move the the school was a great environment because of it's small class size and close nit community. Since the move my child's performance however has only declined. There has been little to no effort on the schools behalf to work with me to improve the situation. The new lower grades teacher is very nice and kind to the children but is ill equipped to teach a multi-grade classroom with no full time para educator to help. The higher grades teacher approaches children and parents alike with a condescending demeanor. I have encountered an immense lack of communication between the staff and the families on topics regarding performance expectations, and curriculum, as well as school and district policies. I would strongly advise potential parents of Anderson Island Elementary students to consider home schooling.

Posted December 9, 2006

AIE had many good qualities, but rewards (including candy and parties) and very public reprimands were used often. AIE didn t provide enough challenges for my gifted child. Volunteering, I perceived several students struggling with math without receiving adequate support. Principal doesn t offer much leadership.

Posted November 1, 2006

Anderson Island is a school unlike any I've seen. Small, multi-age classrooms combined with learner-oriented teaching is the norm here. Both the staff and the highly-involved community show strong support for the needs of the students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 29, 2006

As a teacher with 33 years experience working with preschoolers up to 8th grade including working in inner city school as well as gifted education, it is a joy to work here. I would hold our program up to any other school in the nation. Our children consistently pass all of the state standards testing, averaging 2 years above grade level in math and reading. We work hard and play hard with a wonderful atmosphere of trust, creativity and respect for each other.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 25, 2006

Individualized student learning is the key to academic growth. All students have the opportunity to be successful at their own level everyday! AIE provides individualized learning in Math and Reading for all grades. 3-5 graders use Accelerated Math and Reading Counts with quarterly assessments using Star Math and Star Reading. I recommend all parents & community members to come and volunteer at our school. Witness our school in action! SEE how it all works. If parents have concerns our highly qualified staff will gladly help them.

Posted May 14, 2006

My child attended this school for 2 years. I must say she did not enjoy it. I feel that the children that attend this school are not able to excel in a way that they should. The 3-5 teacher is very harsh and does not listen to schildren. I would not recomend this school.

Asian 6% 7%

Average years educational experience 1N/A12
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

• Nancy McClure

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

13005 Camus Rd