Bad
Good

We are very happy with the small school. Our daughter has lots of friends and feels everyone likes her. This is such a better experience than she had at her old school.

As a parent of a Kindergartner at this school I give it high marks. My child has learned to read by mid year, alphabetize and add. The current K-2 teacher is the best the school has had in the past 15 years. Staff is helpful & dedicated & administrator is doing a good job.

We are pleased with the positive programs being implemented this year. The principal and staff care about my child's attitude and feelings, not just grades. I can really see a positive change in the school and children this year.

We saw dramatic improvements enough to re-enroll after an ugly K-1. With only two teachers for 6 years (K-2 & 3-5) - parent/staff differences are exacerbated. District oversight and teacher accountability has been spotty. At the district level, former Asst. Sup. Paul Ganalon was the only person we trusted and found effective. Community and parent involvement are great. Overall, there is a genuine desire to put kids first and work together. Classrooms are multiage, so students work independently and classroom aides and volunteers are invaluable. For 3-5, the math program is probably weakest. With an atmosphere where kids shared openly what they appreciate about each other; disrespect and bullying are never tolerated. I could comment on the past K-2 class, but choose not to Expect to get involved and prepare to keep the district accountable for oversight and funding.

My child attends AIE and has been suffering terribly due to the abusive and controlling nature of the teachers/staff. There is a serious lack of communication overall and parents are definitely not welcome. Be warned - over half of the comments on this forum have been made by the staff of AIE. Small class size means nothing if your child is spending their time with their head down on the desk crying. I'm pulling my child asap.

Our boys were in Mrs. Wilson's class for three years. I had the opportunity to be a Para-educator at Anderson Island Elementary during those five years. I can tell you it was the best experience of my life working with Mrs. Wilson. With Mrs.Wilson and the other staff members we created the most incredible creative learning environment. Our boys are now in 6th and 8th grade and know what accountability means. This is one of the great gifts she has given to me and to my children. Terri Bruggeman

Both of my boys attended Anderson Island Elementary. Since their earlier-grades teacher is now retired, I limit my comments to their 3rd-5th grade teacher. Mrs. Wilson is dedicated to her students, incredibly creative in her teaching methods, and creates a loving, safe, and fun atmosphere. Both of my boys loved school, missed it during breaks, and still think of Mrs. Wilson as a hero. They both now attend a large public school and began there very well prepared in all academic areas and have been very successful because of it, in great part due to Mrs. Wilson's caring guidance and insistence on accountability. I only wish that I had had her for a teacher.

When we were deciding on whether or not to move out to Anderson Island the elementary school played a big role. Small class size, consistent classmates transportation were all qualities were loved. My child is only in Kindergarten, and so I don't have much to review against except this: my daughter is happy. She comes home every day with a new appreciation for learning and is always excited to go back for more. I attribute much of this to the energy and innovative of her teacher and the team of para-educators at the school. Their patience and perseverance with the children really seems to show.

My child had previously attended another district before moving here. We were told prior to our move the the school was a great environment because of it's small class size and close nit community. Since the move my child's performance however has only declined. There has been little to no effort on the schools behalf to work with me to improve the situation. The new lower grades teacher is very nice and kind to the children but is ill equipped to teach a multi-grade classroom with no full time para educator to help. The higher grades teacher approaches children and parents alike with a condescending demeanor. I have encountered an immense lack of communication between the staff and the families on topics regarding performance expectations, and curriculum, as well as school and district policies. I would strongly advise potential parents of Anderson Island Elementary students to consider home schooling.

AIE had many good qualities, but rewards (including candy and parties) and very public reprimands were used often. AIE didn t provide enough challenges for my gifted child. Volunteering, I perceived several students struggling with math without receiving adequate support. Principal doesn t offer much leadership.

Last modified Anderson Island Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.