Auburn Senior High School

Public | 9-12 | 1402 students

Home of the Trojans

Posted January 5, 2013

We have one student graduated from Auburn High and one currently a Junior. We have been pleased with the variety of programs, quality of education, and diversity. Auburn High is like the real world all social economic situations and race backgrounds. The facility itself is in need of updating, but this does not impact education. The school will be replaced over the next three years as the voters have approved the funding. The principal at the school cares and is active. So is the Superintendent for the district. The have a solid sports program that emphasizes academics.

Posted December 14, 2014

Go Trojans!!!!! first off let me say this is an amazing school and all the teachers and staff are great educators. i think in auburn you cant find a better senior high school.

Posted July 23, 2008

The Special Education Program at AHS and in the Auburn School District is abysmal with efforts to improve it met with at the least indifference - sometimes hostility and retribution.

Posted February 15, 2008

This school is ok. But things could be better. Staff is fine students are not. Bad influences.

Posted January 25, 2008

My three kids loved their teachers and the diverse student body gets along well. No public school can be perfect, thanks to today's enabling society, but I'm happy my kids graduated at AHS.

Posted March 12, 2007

ok i go to auburn high to this day and it is one of the best schools ever! its so layed back and really expects you to do good and you will if you give a little try

Posted January 4, 2007

Both of my kids graduated recently from AHS. Admittedly, they were both in the AP college track, but I have to say that both of them had an excellent education at this school. Several people mentioned the drug problem at the school, but it turns out that there are drugs at every school around, including the private church sponsored schools. My kids had dedicated teachers, one of which, Mrs. Rosivere (Sorry about the spelling) gave my daughter one of the best bases for English writing that I have ever encountered. Because of the education they received at AHS, both of them were admitted to private universities with considerable scholarships for academics and music. My daughter didn't want to graduate because there were still so many opportunities to explore. (My son didn't feel the same way, he wanted out into the big wide world ASAP!)

Posted September 5, 2006

Auburn high needs to work on helping students out. Especially new freshman; you cant just give a kid a schedule and expect them to know where everything is, that isnt fair to them. It stresses them out!

Posted March 11, 2006

I feel that the students are the ones in control of this school. Teachers spend 80% of their class time monitoring behavior rather than actually teaching. Students have no respect for the staff and each other.

Posted January 23, 2006

This school is absolutly great. I love it. Everyone is really dedicated to everything and anything.

Posted December 2, 2005

the teachers here are well trained and are amazing when it comes to helping students. as for sports and extra after school activities there are many to choose from! the music department just won there fourth grammy. The parent involvment is really good when it comes to fundraisers and sports! the school is functioned well, they do not put up with fighting or bullying! they run a tight school, but it's also really fun. the safety is awsome, we practice fire drills twicw to three times a month. i love going to auburn high!

Posted September 2, 2005

Academic programs are in wide variety.The Advance placement and honors classes are available in large numbers.The band at this school has placed high year after year in state competititons.The art teacher is afavorite among students.The football team has gone to playoffs since the new coach has been there.There are dance,step,drama,color guard,and cheer teams for those wishing to partcipate.Not to mention the extended number of clubs that are in this school.Parent involvement could improvement in any type of situation.But there is constantly a number of parent volunteers around the building doint the best they can to keep students safe.I must admit there have been a few cracks in this system.But work is being done to try to improve these downfalls

Posted August 27, 2005

Very old building needing many updates. Teaching faculty mostly caring.

Posted July 5, 2005

This school has a wide variety of programs available for all levels of students. There are a vast amount of vocational options at AHS--including an in-school restaurant! There are many opportunities for parents to be involved--sports boosters, homework help, extra-curricular supervision, etc. This is a good school with many ways to get involved.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 23, 2005

This is a good school. The teachers and administators are very good at keeping the overcrowdedness peaceful. With the new high school opening this coming fall the number of students will fall. It also has a wonderful amount of sports teams and academic clubs as well as nonacademic ones. I myself am on 2 sports teams in debate and part of the schools GSA and Diversity Club. AHS is big on supporting diversity.

Posted January 4, 2005

I went to Auburn High School for 3 years and I have never been so reduculed and hated in my life! I know thats it's a natural part of life to be picked on but, there is a limit to the hazing. Auburn High School tops the limit and I feel that this school is not safe. There are several chanced to be accepted. But you have to have lots of money and nice clothes. The teachers don't care, so why did they become teachers if they don't care about the students they 'love' so dear? But, on the brighter side of things I love the extracurricular activities. I only hope that this schol can get better in time.

Posted December 9, 2004

I have only been going to this school for a few months now and there has been so many fights so far. I am scared that I am not in a safe enviroment. The school is over crowded but the wrestling team is the best!

Posted October 20, 2004

This school has a pretty good band - if you're only counting the way it looks to a spectator. The kids overall are very rude and the parents and adults in leadership positions don't help this problem at all. The kids are expected to excel - and not just encouraged, but forced, as another person pointed out in their review. There is an average amount of parent involvement in the school, but those parents who are involved generally bring the students down and don't make a very positive environment, pushing students to do well. I would not suggest going here.

Posted September 10, 2004

My son is a freshmen at Auburn High, he is an honor role student and very athletic. I am a very fortunate parent. Yes, the highschool is over crowded and there is also a new highschool in progress located in Auburn. maybe if parents were more involved with there childs school work and after school activities some of these kids would not be so involved in drugs and crime. I believe that most of the teachers are doing the best they can with what they have, so parents take the time, be more involved in your childs life, talk with the teachers. Auburn High has a high success rate on gratuates and continue on to college. I also have an adult child who has not been as successful and I do not blame it on the school both my kids were in a private school, also a good experience. Are parents looking for perfection? Think about it.

Posted August 11, 2004

I attended school at Auburn High for 2 years, and I have to say, the school is anything but what I would wish other students to be a part of. From the continuing problem with drugs and violence, going unnoticed, to teachers not caring enough about the students, I was very displeased to attend this school. I was unlucky enough to experience a few bad teachers, who had problems responding to e-mails and phone calls in attempts to curb problems we were having. This school prides itself on being able to work with parents yet it has only been contradicting itself. There are way too many students; so much so that I was told that if I didn't 'step it up' I would be asked to attend a different school, because Auburn High doesn't have room for mess-ups. In result, I will not be attending this school again. -Mary Cristman

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students33%

White50%
Low income26%
Not special education33%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

355 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

353 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

310 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Special education 111%N/A13%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 255%N/A44%
Source: 1 WA OSPI, 2009-2010
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Olympic Middle School
Cascade Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Student-teacher ratio

Students per classroom teacher 20N/A17

Teacher experience

Average years educational experience 15N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 63%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Washington State Achievement Award (2013)
  • Linda Cowan Schools of Distinction Award (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • IT support

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:05 am
School end time
  • 2:35 pm
  • Richard Zimmerman
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Independent Study
  • Internships
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Gym
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor