Bainbridge Island, WA

Posted February 09, 2013
If you want your son/daughter to be able to think and have a positive middle school experience Hyla will deliver. Great thoughtful, enthusiastic staff, with a genuine interest in this very special transitional age! If you have read the "Element" by Sir Ken Robinson, you will understand why creativity will be essential for the next generation. Hyla has developed units that integrate science history and art into an archeology project that is just phenomenal. Their Shakespeare Dramas are very engaging as well. Math and science teachers are solid as they teach for mastery and understanding rather than rote regurgitation which only results in forgetfulness. The Spanish program is wonderful! Many student leave Hyla to go directly into AP Spanish at the upper grade levels in high school. The PE program is great! Kids are rock climbing, hiking, on track and ultimate frisbee teams, as well as many special outings as well. Lastly the focus on becoming a positive member of the community is presented as the kids volunteer with the local food bank, the housing resource board and beach cleaning projects as well as many others! Check it out, great community!

Posted October 23, 2011
Hyla Middle School saved me. In fifth grade I hated school, I never did my homework, and I was bored. Then I started sixth grade at Hyla and found myself racing to the whiteboard to solve math problems! I wrote poetry and found out that I liked sports. Hyla made learning fun. The teachers were exceptional across the board with unbelievable enthusiasm. They got to know me as a person and helped me grow. I graduated valedictorian from BHS and am currently pursuing a PhD in Chemical Engineering. I honestly don't think I would be where I am today if I hadn't gone to Hyla Middle School.

Posted May 20, 2011
We have a high school freshman who graduated from Hyla 8th grade last year. We have a 7th grader there this year and will have our youngest there in a couple of years. The school provides excellent preparation for success in high school. Hyla's emphasis on creative problem solving, hands-on learning, group interaction, communication skills and personal responsibility is very effective. A key part of the curriculum is having every student participate in a dramatic event each year. The 6th graders do Shakespeare. The 7th graders do improv. The 8th graders roll their own. In every case, the process is very empowering for the kids. As a parent, you will discover with your first middle schooler just how important and formative these years can be in a child's education, especially with children maturing at earlier ages. Lifelong habits and perspectives begin to take shape here. Sense of self-worth and self-esteem take root. Conflict resolution and problem solving skills evolve. It is very powerful to see your child become a young adult. I highly recommend Hyla. Students from Hyla are disproportionately successful in academics, sports, clubs and student government at BHS.

Posted May 04, 2011
Excellent teachers coupled with an environment of respect and love of learning results in self reliant and confident students.

Hyla Middle School 1

Posted July 06, 2009

Posted February 10, 2009

Posted June 16, 2008
Hyla focuses on self-reliance, integrity, creativity, and preparation for high school (probably in that order). It does not give grades but instead focuses on individuals as individuals, not variations from academic standards. The best thing about Hyla, in my opinion, is their goal of developing students academically and building character in an unbiased manner. Hyla does not, despite this, compromise education, and it goes beyond typical middle school classes, with Algebra 1-2 in 8th grade and Washington state history in the 7th. It doesn't offer much in the area of special education, though, because of the limited resources a private school has to offer. Hyla has more perks than I can count. As a one-week alumni starting my freshman year at Bainbridge High School in a few months, I think I'm as ready as I can be to enter high school.

Posted June 15, 2007