Bainbridge Island, WA

Posted May 07, 2014
This school is great. The teachers truly care about their students. The academic rigour is just right. My son loved the increased freedoms and responsibilities. The sixth grade science teachers are amazing. This school really prepared my son for middle school.

Posted August 11, 2013
First impressions upon enrollement: this school is just 5th and 6th grade. It's fairly new and in a park-like setting with a rock garden, a path into the forest, a baseball field, regular field, lots of open space, tether ball courts, playground. The teachers teach in teams of three so each set of kids alternates between three teachers, one being home room and the other two for other subjects. A very strong PTA. There are two tracks for "enrichment," either a band track or if you are not in band then one semester you have music and the other semester you have art. If you are not in band you have PE all year. I will update this as I find out more details. The history is interesting and the 90 year old daughter of Sonoji Sakai stays involved and visits during events.

Posted March 19, 2012
I am a sixth grader now and i loved Sakai. it is fun and i learned so much in band and art. in sixth grade you get to make awesome pop up books that are so fun making. some problems in Sakai were how they split you up from your friends. i knew nobody except for 1 person that i still didn't really know in my class. i met a bunch of knew friend though. i also didn't like coho time which you have to talk about bullying for a year then another year in sixth grade to. overall i loved sakai!!!!!!!!

Posted November 19, 2010
Both of my children went to Sakai and what a wonderful school. By separating the older kids (7 & 8) from the 5 & 6 as well as the younger Elem. students (K-4) the kids at Sakai can really thrive. My son also struggled with keeping up with the fast pace and he had teachers who taught "out of the box" as were a true advocates for him. He was able to get his reading level up and it built his self confidence so he could thrive. Love this school!

Posted February 20, 2010
I am a 6th grader here and though some of my teachers are not the best, overall the school is great. You may get overwelmed by the size of it but once you settle in after a few days, you know your way arround very well.

Sonoji Sakai Intermediate School

Posted November 06, 2009
My daughter is in the 6th grade at Sakai. So far, so good. She has had nothing but great things to say about her teachers, the staff, her fellow students, and the school overall. I won't name names, but Sakai is a far better school than her last.

Posted May 02, 2009
My son is has almost finished his 5th grade year at Sakai and I love the school way more than I thought I would. It's been a great year for him, he has learned a lot and has great teachers. Art and band have been fantastic. Mr. Corsetti is a wonderful principal. The staff is very friendly. The opportunity for after school enrichment is great -he learned a great new computer program (Scratch) and will be joining rocket club next.

Posted November 02, 2008
As a sixth grader now, I love Sakai! I think it is really fun. You have a descision to take band or music which i liked. The principle Mr.Corsetti is very nice. At this school you have ers (no not lockers just ers). People are really awesome there and if you go there and get a good teacher you will LOVE IT! The science teachers are the coolest and you would definetly want Mr.Olson :D

Posted June 17, 2008
We feel Sakai is an excellent school for our child. Having just finished 5th grade, I cannot say enough good things about the school year. Yes the school is big but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Our child came from a small private school and I can tell you we will never return to private school. We were also very fortunate to have a wonderful teacher for our child. She was engaging, challenging and very aware of where every child in the class was. I can only hope we are as lucky next year. While we are sad that Mrs. Vander Stoep is retiring, along with a few teachers, the school is very strong academically and a wonderful place for a child to spread their wings a bit for the first time. Thank you Mrs. Vander Stoep and the staff at Sakai, we love

Sonoji Sakai Intermediate School 3

Posted December 02, 2006
As an 8th grader now, I attended to Sakai for 5th and 6th grade. I really learned quite a lot from my band and art program and teachers, but with the classes, the teachers didn't seem to care about me. I didn't find it enjoyable at all, and neither did my older sister when she attended. My friends would find it such a chore to have to wake up, just to go sit for 8 hours! The teachers didn't seem to care them, or my concerns. Going to school should be intresting and fun for 5th and 6th graders, not a chore, dragging yourself to school to get it over with.

Sonoji Sakai Intermediate School
9343 NE Sportsman Club Rd, Bainbridge Island, WA  98110
Last modified Sonoji Sakai Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sonoji Sakai Intermediate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top