Bellevue, WA
Students enrolled: 1,679

Posted April 16, 2015
My child has learning disabilities and the school could care less. They are too focused on being one of the best in the nation that they forget to focus on the students who have special needs. My daughter now hates going to school. She's been on an IEP throughout all of middle school, received the support she needed and was successful. Her first year in high school has been nothing but a nightmare. The teachers do not follow her accommodations and I'm constantly fighting with them to help her. In November she was being harassed by another student and they got into a fist fight but because my daughter threw the first punch, she was immediately put on a 3 day suspension, while the other girl lied about her involvement. After enough witnesses statements, the school suspended the other girl as well, however, they did not treat both girls equally. In January, she was moved to a 504, which has made things even more difficult - I was not made aware that I did not have to agree to remove her from the IEP. This school does not care about students who have trouble with learning at their higher standards.

Posted June 20, 2014
My son went to Newport high school. The education quality matched the reputation as one of the top public high school in the USA. The teachers were capable and responsible, great academic challenging environment, made my kid to try hard to catch up and do more to out perform his friends. No bully, no drug, great discipline, just a great school for my son to grow up. Thank you all to make my son who he is now, a senior at Duke University, with great future ahead of him. If you want your kid to have a great high school, Newport high definitely should be your choice.

Posted May 04, 2014
There is a math teacher that should be fired and the school is fully aware of it. She's (hint) terrible , students are intimidated to ask questions, and yet she's protected by her union.

Posted December 13, 2013
Parents, teachers and students all only care about grades. Nothing else. They don't care about whether they learned anything, in the end the only thing that matters are the grades. Handouts are given without any explanation, and we are expected to do fine. Everything has to be done with a pen and paper. I believe classes should be a lot more interactive.

Posted August 28, 2013
Newport High School prepares kids to perform wonderfully in the academic aspects - but the social aspects could use some work. There is hardly any snottiness or sense of entitlement, yet I've seen some straight out bullying.

Newport Senior High School 4

Posted October 29, 2012
We moved from a private school to Newport and have found the academics are at a high standard for public school. A high percentage of the parents are highly concerned about education quality and are involved in the community. As most schools, we've found there are teachers who are outstanding and a few that are not so great. There are athletics programs, but this is not a strong point. Overall an above average high school.

Posted September 23, 2011
If you fit into either the 'smart prep/jock' category, or the '5 APs a semester' category, you will excel. If not, well too bad for you. As long as you sign up for APs, they'll like you! I had a girl who is very mentally challenged just switch into my World History class from AP World. I'm not sure why they had her sign up for AP. AP isbn't for the smart kid, it's for the average one. Most people don't really know why they're taking APs, I felt like there was actually some manipulation to try to get us to take 'the AP route'. Newport has a great rep, but honestly, I don't think this can be very balanced. Some very good teachers, but also some very poor. Administration is very concerned with the school's status.

Posted May 10, 2011
although I know that there will always be good teachers and mediocre teachers, it seems like Newport has lowered its standards in hiring or in monitoring the quality of their teachers. Quite a few of the teachers do not even have any concept of keeping the students interested in the class, let alone engage them to be more interested in learning. I know its a public school, but it is still incumbent upon the teacher to have an open communication line between the student and the parents if there is a need for improvement. We just have not seen this at all. We had very high expectations from NHS, but are now quite disappointed.

Posted May 26, 2010
Extremely weak eclectic curriculum and instructional materials, poor presentation, especially in math and science. Teachers don't understand elementary laws and patterns of human learning, let alone any advanced pedagogical techniques. Adherence to discovering/minimum instruction method : no explanations provided, just activities to do from the book, which doesn t have any explanations either. Then teachers just register who managed to get it and who didn t. Horrific failure rates the administration refuses to disclose. Teachers have in their contract a right to not post grades for FIVE WEEKS! They constantly lose submitted assignments and then give students Fs for them. No way to prove that it was not student s fault. No communication to parents about problems except in final grade reports. No graded papers allowed to be taken home come and see them during your work day if you want and can. Unethical behavior of some teachers, insulting and psychologically traumatizing students.

Posted August 13, 2009
Our children were B students yet were extremely well prepared for college by Newport. Our son, who graduated with a 2.6, just registered for college and earned an entire semester of credit for his AP work. Nice. Our daughter graduated with a 3.0 and now carries a 3.7 in college. She noticed immediately as a freshman the incredible quality of her preparation compared to her classmates. What students perceive as harsh discipline I would characterize as consistent and objective leadership. The environment is calm and well-managed, and we have not had the problems that other schools have had. Newport has an award-winning PTSA. Its annual Ski Swap has been the best of its kind for over twenty years. Bellevue's other high schools are also excellent. You can find the same curriculum at much smaller neighboring schools, which can be less intimidating and better able to provide a highly personal educational experience.

Newport Senior High School
4333 Factoria Blvd SE, Bellevue, WA  98006
Last modified Newport Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newport Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top