PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I feel the teachers are very effective. I like that each class has a teacher and an assistant teacher. Eton also has special teachers for Spanish, music, art, PE and library.

My son is in his 2nd year at Eton and we are very happy with the school. The program is academic but in a very nurturing environment. When we were looking at schools, we almost didn't visit Eton because of the some of the older reviews, but once we visited we were immediately impressed and have been happy with our decision. I have an older son attending a private school for gifted kids in the area. There are pro and cons to both school, but I felt that the Kindergarten program offered at Eton was superior to the one offered at the gifted school. I liked that the Eton program allowed my younger son to advance at his speed and he didn't have to wait for the rest of the class in the areas where he was ahead (this is a benefit to a Montessori school. Also he would have had 1:1 help in areas he was behind). I also liked that Eton taught handwriting in K, while this was not a priority in my older son's school (and he has always struggled with poor handwriting as a result). If you are looking for an academic program in a nurturing environment, I would recommend visiting Eton.

Amount of homework: Agree

My 1st grader receives about 20 minutes of homework a night. He is able to do it independently. It seems about right.

We are very new to the school but what we have seen in the past 9weeks it was the best thing we could have done for our girls. We transferred here from a top rated elementary school after the completion of 1st grade. in the few weeks that my girls have attended Eton I'm blown away as to how much they have changed. Their love of learning, their confidence, hand writing, attention to detail, love of reading, vocabulary, spelling, creativity, respect of their own time. Now I'm not saying Eton has taught them all of this in a short period of time as I'm sure it was all ready in side of them but what I am saying is that Eton (their teachers and the environment) has helped bring it out. Leaving our public school was such a tough decision but coming to Eton was the best thing we could have done for our girls as one needed a smaller teacher to child ratio while the other one needed a more rigorous curriculum and this school provides that for both of them. I could go on and on but honestly it is one of the best gifts we have been able to provide for our girls! Lastly this is the ONLY review I have EVER done in my life as I think I keep Amazon in business but have never felt so strongly and never have been so amazed by a "product" before. I am truly grateful for the love of learning Eton has given to my children.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Nurturing, loving, just enough push, let their expectations be known. Positive reinforcement and constructive criticism in a very nurturing manner.

Amount of homework: Agree

It's about 30 minutes a night but the writing process is really really beneficial. They teach from the early years to do a pre-write, draft, rewrite publish.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They teach to respect everyone at circle time. If there is a problem they bring it to the class to come up with a solution.

My daughter went to Eton for three years, until First Grade, during which time she was happy and comfortable everyday, and developed a love of learning - which is the most important "academic" skill in the early years. She never complained one day of not wanting to go to school. She came home proud of her discoveries and achievements. She rated in 99th percentile in the gifted program tests administered by the public school, thanks to the exposure to high-level reading, critical thinking, and math skills at Eton. We pulled her out of Eton after kindergarten only due to our financial constraints and now are hoping that we can have her back in Eton in the near future, since she is far ahead academically in her current 1st grade class and appears stressed out at the beginning of each day. I am confused by those who state that Eton is not a true Montessori school. It most definitely is, as evidenced by their accreditations. While "work time" is self-directed, the teachers do, as they must in the practical world, guide the child to other activities if the child is fixated on only one skill set. But the child is never forced to accomplish teacher-set goals. That makes sense to me and that is the montessori philosophy.

Eton School has been our home for the last 8 years and it has been great to see our children grow, being academically challenged and blossom into healthy young adults. As with every (school) life, there are ups & downs but the way the 'developmental challenges' are handled at Eton is comprehensive and involves staff & parents alike to come to a good result. Teamwork is the key and it shows! Educating the whole child is the school's motto and will help the child become a balanced individual.

I am truly shocked to see that there are such stark reviews about Eton School, as I would describe my personal experience with it as incredible. Parents must be committed to the Montessori philosophy to really appreciate the richness of academia here. As an Eton alum, and a mathematics major in college, I have grown to appreciate how complex the pre-elementary education really is. Students are learning about precursor concepts in euclidean and noneuclidean geometries and basic algebra at ages 3-6! Even though there is academic rigor, it's also such a great place for children to learn about exploring many different subjects. I remember, as a pre-schooler, learning an in-depth unit on geology, so comprehensive that even my high school earth sciences class at public school did not cover the details that we had earlier. Eton is a great school with compassionate teachers who are willing to work with families together to nurture the whole child. It's a fantastic approach that every student should have the opportunity to experience.

Last modified Eton School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8