No rating

Open Window School

Private | K-8 | 26 students

Living in Bellevue

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $490,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,390.

Posted June 23, 2014

We spent a lot of time looking at all of our area s excellent schools, trying to find a whole-child approach to education where the school nurtures our daughter s character and curiosity as well as her intellect. We found it at Open Window. Teachers quickly respond to parent emails and go the extra mile to make sure my child is supported and happy. We re thrilled that she gets special allotted time for music, PE, Spanish, drama and art at least once a week. And that she has learned, from kindergarten, how to present her ideas and passions -- confidently and fluently. My child is happy and resilient, and much of it is due to the Open Window faculty that nurtures her curiosity and encourages her every step of the way.

Posted December 16, 2013

Open Windows is a good school overall. The school is beautiful. Grounds are lovely and has amazing views. Teachers are friendly, professional and cordial. There's a new head of school now and he seems to be taking the school in the right direction. Our primary concern: how is OWS truly a gifted school? Our child is in the 99.9%tile and we hoped OWS would provide that differentiated learning approach for these minority students. Honestly, after several years now, we haven't seen it. There's no differentiation or special focus to enable the exceptionally/ profoundly gifted child versus the moderately gifted child whose parents want them on an accelerated track. At the end of the day, there's a vast difference in learning needs between the 99.9% child and the 95-97% child. There's also the overly aggressive parent to watch out for - they will send their child to prep classes/studies in the summer so the child will 'seem' advanced for the new school year...so one can comment there's a high level of parent involvement. These kids tend to bias the teachers to focus on acceleration vs depth and exploration. If your child is moderately gifted, then he/she will do great at OWS.

Posted December 9, 2013

The process of finding the right fit for our Kindergartner was a stressful one. We wanted a nurturing and supportive environment as well as academic rigor. We feel that we found that at OWS. He is supported and understood as well as encouraged and expected to do his best. What more could we ask for?

Posted July 6, 2013

Our son is going into 8th grade at OWS and has been here since preschool. The schools mantra of "Children first, gifted second" is perfect for our son. The instructors have been excellent and definitely challenge all of the students. In a world where EQ and IQ are both vital, Open Window is the best K-8 school we have found.

Posted June 11, 2013

Prior to moving to Open Window, my son began to lose interest in math - a subject he had previously relished. We felt he was underserved at his prior private school. Open Window advanced him effectively 2 years in math immediately and he now says he loves the school. We have been thrilled to watch his math interest reignited. The teacher understands him well and looks out for him as she does all the other kids. Parent involvement has been great, especially in the chess team. (The kids scored a state championship 1st place trophy this year). The school is relatively young and just last year a new but highly experienced head of school arrived. As such, interest in and response to parent input is exceptional. An exceptional school poised to get even better.

Posted September 10, 2012

After 4 years at this school, our whole family still LOVES it here. Great student/teacher ratios, differentiated learning at each child's just-right level, in a wide variety of subjects, amazing teachers and staff, and an engaged and supportive parent community make it a shining example of all that education--gifted or otherwise--can and should be. I wish every child could go to a school like this. A+!

Posted June 24, 2012

This school looks beautiful to the drive by observer but the curriculum and teachers do not make the rank. Little emphasis on meeting a gifted child's individual needs, lots of time spent on group projects seeking to bring out creativity stopping short of in depth learning. Definitely an environment where donators are sought over educational excellence.... Too much precious staff hours spent on seeking out donations, ranking classes accoriding to parental donations, seeking parent financial support of building fund, and continuous publication of the latest family donations in the weekly newsletter. I chose to opt out after a couple of years of hoping the school vision would change!

Posted June 20, 2010

If you want your child to be taught by teachers that are enthusiastic about teaching with a head of school that is supportive this is the school for you. If you want a school where your child will learn to analyze and solve problems rather than all rote and repition this is the school. Our family has had fabulous teachers at OWS. The administraion is exceptional. And it's on a beautiful campus...

Posted June 16, 2010

My child has been at OWS for five years and has received an excellent education. The teaching in each discipline is tailored to each child. Small classes, each with an instructional assistant, give these kids the attention they deserve. The Art teacher is exceptional, and my child loves the drama and computer classes, too. OWS is definitely worth a look for your gifted child.

Posted January 14, 2010

Open Window has been a wonderful experience for my children. They are enthusiastic to head off to school and are thrilled to tell me about their day when I pick them up. The teachers are passionate about their work and treat my children like their own. I was thrilled when they opened the middle school so that they could stay on the same, nurturing campus!

Posted January 14, 2010

Posted October 27, 2009

I went to Open Window School for seven years and had a very positive experience there. The lessons were organized, all the teachers were caring, and the amount of parent involvement was exceptional! I feel that the life skills and academic concepts that I learned there laid the foundation for my positive study habits, test-taking skills, and social success, and have fully prepared me for my later school years. I just started my fourth year at Lakeside and still find myself thanking the students and teachers at Open Window for the basis they've provided me for a successful life.

Posted June 10, 2009

Open Window School has a spectacular setting and grounds with large play fields and beautiful views. The buildings are newer than most schools and in very good condition. Unfortunately, there are some less stellar aspects of the school as well. The teachers my child had seemed inexperienced and disorganized. This school was a disappointment to us.

Posted April 27, 2009

I really agree that the grounds and buildings are stellar. Some of the teachers do not maintain classroom discipline well. I did not feel that the teachers communicated well when problems arose. This is not a school I would pick.

Posted April 17, 2009

Both my children attended Open Window School and they loved it! The nurturing environment, fantastic teachers and a supportive administration made this an amazing place for my children to grow and learn. As a parent, I felt that each one of their teachers cared about them as individuals and really made an effort to meet their academic and social needs. The curriculum in the middle school, Vista Academy, makes me want to go back to school! Definitely check out this school for your gifted child.

Posted February 6, 2009

This is the best, best school I've attended in my life. The teachers are so nice and everybody works together. The teacher does a very good job of keeping each child at his/her own pace. The facillities are excellent and the view is just gorgeous. I love it and would recommend it to any other parent who asked for a good school in the Eastside. Excellent!
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 18, 2008

The good things about OWS: *The administration and the head of school are fantastic and are very supportive of students and their families. *The school has a warm nurturing environment and the teachers make every effort for students to be accepted among their peers. The not-so-good things about OWS: *The curriculum is 'moderately accelertated' and this is stressed by the administration. Consequently students who are exceptionally bright do not feel challenged. My daughter enjoyed OWS but she did not find it challenging. *The teachers are not told student's IQ's are not privy to IQ reports. This is in contrast to UCDS where they believe teachers should be aware of student's strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles. We moved our daughter to Seattle Country Day for the stronger academic curriculum. She is much more challenged at Country Day and the science program is head and shoulders above OWS.

Posted June 21, 2008

Open Window has an excellent Head of School who really cares about every single student. The teachers are all supportive and caring towards their students and this is why our child has loved every minute of her 7 year journey at the school. It has been an excellent investment and we are very proud to be parents at the school.

Posted June 11, 2008

Our child was so well prepared for middle school and is thriving after her elementary school years at Open Window School. The small classes, nuturing faculty, and challenging curriculum kept her engaged and loving school. Open Window inspired her and was the beginning of her lifetime journey of a love of learning.

Posted June 9, 2008

This is a school where teachers and staff knock themselves out to support children academically, socially and emotionally. The school constantly reflects on its program to make sure it is offering the best experience possible for its students.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 27% 7%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school