Bellevue, WA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hi Prospective Little School Parents, I am glad that you are taking advantage of resources such as greatschools.org. The process of finding a good school match for your child and family can be daunting and there are loads of exciting choices. Some questions you might consider as you look are: How does my child learn best? What are my child s strengths? In what ways does my child need challenge or stretching? In what ways are creativity and independence fostered in the school? Perhaps most important, can you imagine you and your child walking in to the school excited and ready to learn? As you research schools, I hope you will come and visit The Little School. We are a progressive school where you will find passionate teachers and a responsive child-centered curriculum. We are committed to acceptance, openness and inclusivity. This is a place where your child will say I can t wait to come to The Little School . We are excited about learning, teaching and about supporting the healthy happy development of children. In my third year as Head of School I am very pleased to invite you to come and check us out. Peter Berner-Hays
February 6, 2013

Posted April 24, 2014
The Little School, 2812 - 116 Avenue NE Bellevue,WA.98004. The Little School is a great place for a child to learn and grow It has a well rounded curriculum which life skills, art and nature and the environment. I am so happy to that my grandchild attends this school.

Posted March 07, 2014
I cannot say enough great things about this school. My son went to The Little School from age 4 to age 11. He is now in middle school, thriving, successful, and more than adequately prepared by The Little School. Not only is he doing well in his classes, but he is a compassionate, confident, adaptable, community and service-oriented kid -- which may be unusual for typical middle schoolers, but not at all unusual for Little School alums. Careful not to be swayed by negative comments listed in the Feb 15 "The School Has An Interesting " post. Do your homework and shop around for the right school. If you do choose The Little School, there is a high probability you will love it! No really! Something like 95% of parents are highly satisfied with their experience year after year! It is a school and community like no other in the area.

Posted March 07, 2014
The Little School is beyond outstanding. Our daughter has attended The Little School for 6 years (is now 11 years old), and we could not be happier with her education or the school's learning environment. Every teacher is incredibly strong and supportive, and the school fosters a tremendous sense of confidence, community, and caring within the students. There is meaning and purpose in the curriculum, and our daughter has learned so much - not only the basics in math, science, literature - but also about the world, environment, communities, and responsibility. The Little School encourages independent thought and discussion among students, which has led our daughter to a love of school and passion for learning. Our daughter has not wanted to miss a single day of school since she started. We could not have asked for a better foundation for our daughter's growth, education, and development. She will go on to be incredibly successful in middle school and beyond, thanks to The Little School.

Posted February 10, 2014
Our four children have attended The Little School for the past seven years. The primary reason we send them to TLS is for the amazing education that they receive there. Although the school s educational approach can feel different from what people often think of as traditionally academic, we have seen first-hand how the school s thoughtful, research-based approach to education helps each of our children excel. The students at TLS are not pressured to perform according to a particular standard, but rather are encouraged to explore and learn to the best of their ability in pursuit of their passions. Everyone develops at different paces and has different strengths and weaknesses, and TLS does a great job making this diversity an asset in the educational process. TLS students learn how to learn, how to put things together, how to understand language, how to think about math and numbers, how to answer their own questions, how to get along with other people, and how the physical world works. My children are intrinsically motivated and well prepared for a lifetime of learning.

Posted November 02, 2013
We could not have found a better school than The Little School for our children s elementary education. During our initial tour of TLS we saw how engaged the kids were in each classroom and felt their excitement for learning. When our kids began at The Little School, we were welcomed warmly into the community and encouraged right from the start to be a part of our children s education. We are impressed with the academics and especially the teachers abilities to allow each child to work at his/her appropriate level. We have found that the children work at or above traditional grade level in a very supportive, encouraging environment. The school strives to build bonds between students of all levels and encourages leadership. My children love to go to school, actively seek out knowledge, and are proud of their learning. Everything from the staff, grounds, and extra programs (art, music, Spanish, library, movement, etc.) are thoughtfully put in place to form a wonderful, cohesive learning experience. It s not necessary to have standardized testing to see that the children at The Little School are capable confident learners who are well prepared for future success.

Posted October 23, 2013
We pulled our daughter out of another private school to attend The LIttle School and we could not be more pleased. The teachers are kind and nurturing and take the time to get to know the children. The small class size help the teachers to focus more on each child and their style of learning. The campus is beautiful and well taken care of. The leader of the school is involved in every aspect of the school from directing traffic to sitting in the classes with the kids. I would highly recommend this school!

Posted October 18, 2013
My family has been involved with The Little School for 13 years and I can t say enough about how happy we ve been with the entire school experience. My kids (one who is now in high school, the other who is in his 7th year there) are very different, and both have had amazing experiences. The academic learning and teachers are phenomenal they not only learn the skills they need to succeed in middle school and beyond, but do so in an experiential way that is meaningful and FUN! The social and emotional skills they learn everyday are essential not only for success in school and career, but also for living a productive life. They are part of a caring community and get to go to school in an incredible natural environment I don t know of any school that has such amazing outdoor space where children can run, play and learn as much in their outdoor classroom as indoors. Spanish, Art, Music, Movement and Library are great supplements to the basic program. If you want your children to jump up out of bed and head for school excited and challenged everyday, go check out TLS!

Posted May 29, 2013
Our daughter began at TLS in 3rd grade and (despite being shy), she made deep friends right away and the community was very inviting to her and our family. Her peers are sweet, intelligent, funny and every day she can't wait to go to school. Her teacher knows exactly how to motivate her students, and balances providing challenging work with compassion each day. When we began, so did a new Head of School and he's made fantastic changes. He respects the students, parents and teachers more than I can express. Our daughter's comment her first week was-- "Picture children as plants. At my old school, they would force bright lights on you and dump buckets of water trying to make you grow faster. At TLS, they let you grow. THEY LET YOU GROW, Mom." You might be asking yourself, how can students graduate from here and compete with rigorous elementary schools for competitive private middle school slots. Well they do! Our daughter got into the school of her choice as did all the kids. During this year and the previous year, students got accepted to Lakeside, Overlake, U. Prep, Eastside Prep, SAAS, and many more. Middle schools love TLS kids as they can think for themselves.

Posted April 22, 2013
I attended The Little School for seven years, and it shaped my life for the better. Most of my college friends have strong negative memories of elementary school: bullying, tests, boring recess, mean teachers. But all my memories are good. At TLS, even the class "bullies" were our friends: the teachers dealt well with kids who picked on others; no one lost self-esteem. We never took tests: we simply studied our material until we learned it, and weren't punished for learning slowly. Twice a day, at recess, we were free to exercise our imaginations on TLS's vast forest campus. My best friend and I always pretended to be horses, and we published stories about our adventures in the school library! The teachers were our friends: they talked to us as equals, and we helped develop the curriculum. My childhood at TLS was idyllic, and because my first school experience was so good, I've continued to love school and independent learning. Some worry that a TLS education isn't academically rigorous enough. Take it from a national merit finalist and University of Chicago student it s not rigor that makes academic success. It s love of learning. And love of learning is at the heart of TLS.

Posted February 08, 2013
I d highly recommend The Little School (TLS) where our son loves attending. Their philosophy of creating a love for learning and setting kids up for success in LIFE is seen in every interaction with the teachers and staff. Teachers are empowered & LOVE their jobs, and the kids love learning through experiences. It s obvious how much the kids love going to school there & how they flourish. TLS isn t like a typical school in that they don t have set seats for each student where they are expected to sit and listen to a teacher lecture them most of the day. Instead, they have 1-2 tables in the room where kids sit with each other and experience learning through doing activities and working together, rather than being lectured. This, in my opinion, is the best way to truly learn and understand something it also dramatically increases the chances you will retain it. TLS s approach is to create a partnership between the kids and adults, not having the adult being a dominating authority figure. They teach kids how to function successfully in society & life, not just memorize information. Every touch point I have had has proven that they truly live the values they say they have.

The Little School