School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hi Prospective Little School Parents, I am glad that you are taking advantage of resources such as greatschools.org. The process of finding a good school match for your child and family can be daunting and there are loads of exciting choices. Some questions you might consider as you look are: How does my child learn best? What are my child s strengths? In what ways does my child need challenge or stretching? In what ways are creativity and independence fostered in the school? Perhaps most important, can you imagine you and your child walking in to the school excited and ready to learn? As you research schools, I hope you will come and visit The Little School. We are a progressive school where you will find passionate teachers and a responsive child-centered curriculum. We are committed to acceptance, openness and inclusivity. This is a place where your child will say I can t wait to come to The Little School . We are excited about learning, teaching and about supporting the healthy happy development of children. In my third year as Head of School I am very pleased to invite you to come and check us out. Peter Berner-Hays
February 06, 2013

Posted August 02, 2015
The Little School (TLS) has been a wonderful place for our son’s social and academic development the past three years. TLS does what it advertises in terms of applying progressive education principles, including balancing academics and social-emotional development. Our son is knowledgeable, confident and curious, and he loves his school. We are very satisfied. I disagree with the post below from May 30, 2015. TLS is going through healthy, normal changes. The school does strategic planning every five years, as all thoughtful schools do, and which I believe may also be required for accreditation. Recently, TLS completed a new 5-year strategic plan and is implementing it. A summary of the strategic plan is on the school’s website. Further, it is misleading to say TLS has had three heads of school (HOS) in six years—one could just as easily say there have been three HOS over the past 21 years, and only five since the school’s inception 55 years ago. The current head of school is excellent and is going into his sixth year. Finally, check out the latest research on social-emotional learning and you’ll understand why TLS prepares children for success in life.

The Little School
Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted May 30, 2015
The Little School is going through a time of disruptive transition. They seem to be trying to “find” and reposition themselves. The Little School is on its third head of school in six years (Paul Brahce, Laurel Seid, Peter Berner-Hays)and the chaos shows. These are facts. Of course, The Little School has a right to put whatever spin on this they want, but I wish I had known to ask before we started attending.

The Little School 2

Posted May 30, 2015
The Little School is going through a time of disruptive transition. They seem to be trying to “find” and reposition themselves. The Little School is on its third head of school in six years and the chaos shows. These are facts. Of course, The Little School has a right to put whatever spin on this they want, but I wish we had known to ask before we started attending.

Posted May 17, 2015
The Little School has been a wonderful place for my daughter with Autism Spectrum Disorder. She is in her fifth year here, and has grown and thrived with the personal caring and attention given to her by the teachers and staff at TLS. As a family we have appreciated that the school focuses, every year, on creating a classroom that supports each student while inspiring a cohesive whole group. TLS is a place where the kids' diverse needs are, thankfully, a priority.

The Little School 1

Posted March 30, 2015
Dear Fellow Parents, if your child has any learning difficulties or diagnoses like ADHD or autism, your child is NOT welcome at TLS. My child has an autism diagnosis (very mild). She is highly verbal and good natured. She is not aggressive, disruptive nor loud. She responds well but needed some extra guidance and attention with learning. Isn't that why people put their child in private school? I applied to TLS for the low teacher student ratio. Foolishly, I disclosed her diagnosis thinking honesty is best. But TLS only saw the diagnosis, the scarlet "A". They said she "wouldn't be a good fit" and they "didn't have the resources she needed". That is utter b.s. We never asked for, expected, or needed extra resources. We only wanted a small class size. They didn't even bother to meet her. TLS says it's about "Progressive Education" and inclusive to people from different backgrounds. They say they let the child develop at their own pace. Last time I checked, people with disabilities, learning difficulties and autism are part of our community and deserve to be included in your $19,000+ annual tuition cost. I write this is complete truth. It is discrimination. Shame on you TLS.

Posted April 24, 2014
The Little School, 2812 - 116 Avenue NE Bellevue,WA.98004. The Little School is a great place for a child to learn and grow It has a well rounded curriculum which life skills, art and nature and the environment. I am so happy to that my grandchild attends this school.

Posted March 07, 2014
I cannot say enough great things about this school. My son went to The Little School from age 4 to age 11. He is now in middle school, thriving, successful, and more than adequately prepared by The Little School. Not only is he doing well in his classes, but he is a compassionate, confident, adaptable, community and service-oriented kid -- which may be unusual for typical middle schoolers, but not at all unusual for Little School alums. Careful not to be swayed by negative comments listed in the Feb 15 "The School Has An Interesting " post. Do your homework and shop around for the right school. If you do choose The Little School, there is a high probability you will love it! No really! Something like 95% of parents are highly satisfied with their experience year after year! It is a school and community like no other in the area.

Posted March 07, 2014
The Little School is beyond outstanding. Our daughter has attended The Little School for 6 years (is now 11 years old), and we could not be happier with her education or the school's learning environment. Every teacher is incredibly strong and supportive, and the school fosters a tremendous sense of confidence, community, and caring within the students. There is meaning and purpose in the curriculum, and our daughter has learned so much - not only the basics in math, science, literature - but also about the world, environment, communities, and responsibility. The Little School encourages independent thought and discussion among students, which has led our daughter to a love of school and passion for learning. Our daughter has not wanted to miss a single day of school since she started. We could not have asked for a better foundation for our daughter's growth, education, and development. She will go on to be incredibly successful in middle school and beyond, thanks to The Little School.

Posted February 10, 2014
Our four children have attended The Little School for the past seven years. The primary reason we send them to TLS is for the amazing education that they receive there. Although the school s educational approach can feel different from what people often think of as traditionally academic, we have seen first-hand how the school s thoughtful, research-based approach to education helps each of our children excel. The students at TLS are not pressured to perform according to a particular standard, but rather are encouraged to explore and learn to the best of their ability in pursuit of their passions. Everyone develops at different paces and has different strengths and weaknesses, and TLS does a great job making this diversity an asset in the educational process. TLS students learn how to learn, how to put things together, how to understand language, how to think about math and numbers, how to answer their own questions, how to get along with other people, and how the physical world works. My children are intrinsically motivated and well prepared for a lifetime of learning.

Posted November 02, 2013
We could not have found a better school than The Little School for our children s elementary education. During our initial tour of TLS we saw how engaged the kids were in each classroom and felt their excitement for learning. When our kids began at The Little School, we were welcomed warmly into the community and encouraged right from the start to be a part of our children s education. We are impressed with the academics and especially the teachers abilities to allow each child to work at his/her appropriate level. We have found that the children work at or above traditional grade level in a very supportive, encouraging environment. The school strives to build bonds between students of all levels and encourages leadership. My children love to go to school, actively seek out knowledge, and are proud of their learning. Everything from the staff, grounds, and extra programs (art, music, Spanish, library, movement, etc.) are thoughtfully put in place to form a wonderful, cohesive learning experience. It s not necessary to have standardized testing to see that the children at The Little School are capable confident learners who are well prepared for future success.

The Little School