PK-5|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hi Prospective Little School Parents, I am glad that you are taking advantage of resources such as greatschools.org. The process of finding a good school match for your child and family can be daunting and there are loads of exciting choices. Some questions you might consider as you look are: How does my child learn best? What are my child s strengths? In what ways does my child need challenge or stretching? In what ways are creativity and independence fostered in the school? Perhaps most important, can you imagine you and your child walking in to the school excited and ready to learn? As you research schools, I hope you will come and visit The Little School. We are a progressive school where you will find passionate teachers and a responsive child-centered curriculum. We are committed to acceptance, openness and inclusivity. This is a place where your child will say I can t wait to come to The Little School . We are excited about learning, teaching and about supporting the healthy happy development of children. In my third year as Head of School I am very pleased to invite you to come and check us out. Peter Berner-Hays
February 06, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (4 responses)

Posted October 31, 2015
Our son's application process was a breeze thanks to Barb's quick scheduling the tour and classroom visit. She also answered our questions promptly via emails and phone calls. Our son's teacher and teaching assistant are wonderful educators, creating a loving and engaging environment that makes him feel safe and motivated. The school is a tight community, always having school or class events to bring families together. At drop-off and pick-up each day, the principal, teachers, and other staff take turns helping the students getting off or on the cars. We do really feel like a family. Parents have a chance to sit in their child's classroom during the teacher-parent conference weeks. The school is beautifully nestled in woods and meadows. It enjoys large areas of playgrounds, fields, and gardens. Students have plenty of opportunities to explore nature. Field trips are scheduled as well. Our son's class just had a field trip to Seattle Art Museum which they liked so much. The school has excellent after school programs taught by the teachers or other professionals. The extended day service is a great help for those parents who work full-time and those who cannot show up at the pickup time occasionally. When our son asked to go to school on Saturday night, we know he really likes his school. We are glad that we've found this peaceful and loving school for him to learn and thrive.

Posted October 28, 2015
The Little School is an amazing place for children to grow and learn. We started our son in his (very highly rated and ranked) neighborhood school for his first year – and it was “okay.” Then we moved him to the Little School for his second and now third year and he is blooming – happy, engaged, talking, making friends, sharing, telling stories. If you want your child to have a true education about people, society, and life – in addition to the academics – then you should seriously consider The Little School. The curriculum includes art, stories, culture, math, science, reading, and recess time. The instruction method is through discussion, demonstrations, projects, experiments, and group learning. The kids learn from each other, the teacher, the TA, and the staff. The teachers and staff engage with each child directly, and adapt their teaching styles and the pace to fit what each child seems to need. Our over-riding goal for our son is that he keeps alive his curiosity about the world and he drives himself to learn more and develop and reach his own goals. We are confident that The Little School is the best place for him to be during his elementary years and the people there are the best ones to help him us and him.

Posted October 26, 2015
This is our first year at The Little School and we are beyond overjoyed. I spent nearly two years looking into schools for our now almost 5 years olds twins. I searched schools that were not just amazing for preschool, but also for elementary/upper elementary. When I first stepped on the campus, I had a sense of peace. As I toured the school and spent the time in the classrooms, I felt like the learning process was the most organic, natural way of learning. We are now a month and a half into school and the social, emotional, and academic development my twins are experiencing is shocking. They eagerly and effortless make it to school every day and are somewhat sad on Saturday and Sundays that there is no school. When I pick them up, there excitement is contagious and their pure love and joy for their day is so transparent. I am so grateful for the entire staff at the school- they have all been so welcoming and forthcoming with all aspects of their school. I highly recommend The Little School to all families.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 22, 2015
My kids have been students at The Little School for several years. I love the small class sizes, which have given my kids the opportunity to be truly known by teachers and staff. Teachers can (and do) tailor the curriculum to the needs and interests of their students. When a class is fascinated by a particular topic (e.g. space, dinosaurs, Egypt), the teacher uses that interest as a way to explore all sorts of subjects (e.g. math, reading, science, art, music). Since the kids care about the theme of the lessons, they spend more time on and are more invested in their lessons than I've seen in other elementary-aged kids. Teachers are very responsive to the needs of the individual kids in their classes. Lessons are taught in many different ways - with conversation, exploration, and movement to name a few. Classrooms are set up in a way that allows kids to have some autonomy and take ownership of their learning. I'm continually impressed by the depth of caring and intentionality evident in every aspect of The Little School. My kids have had the opportunity to grow and learn in an environment that nurtures their inherent love of learning. I'm grateful for our years as a TLS family.

Amount of homework: Just right