Bellevue, WA
Before care: Yes
After care: No

Posted July 03, 2013
I have 2 daughters who attended Hillside for several years before they had to leave due to our moving out of the area. Hillside was a fabulous experience for them, and they were sad to leave the school. Both girls got an excellent education with tons of individual attention and very small classes. The teachers care about each student and are responsive to each student's individual needs, strengths and weaknesses. They spend a lot of time on each student. For example, the high school humanities teacher spends hours going over all writing assignments from his students with copious comments and revisions and really teaches them how to write. Best of all, Hillside nurtures each student's individual gifts. They place great importance on everyone in the community treating each other with kindness, respect and appreciation for who each person is, and there is no expectation like in many public schools to conform. Everyone is accepted for who they are. As far as how students treat each other, bullying is absent, as is exclusive behavior. All that plus rigorous, high quality academic instruction.My husband and I heartily recommend Hillside.

Posted May 24, 2013
Going to Hillside was a phenomenal experience that prepared me for all aspects of life intellectually, creatively, and inter-personally. I still maintain connections with most of my piers and teachers from my time there. Truly a wonderful place, and one that not only nourished and readied me for the best colleges and academic pursuits, but taught me to become an involved member of my community and hugely enrich my life.

Posted May 21, 2013
Looking for the next step after Seattle Country Day for our two daughters my wife and I knew what we wanted in a school, but not where to find it. It was important that both go to the same school. One was very strong in math but needed help with her writing. The other was the exact opposite. We were looking for a strong foundation in basic skills, not frills or current educational fads. Although I was initially very skeptical based on the size and appearance of the campus by the end of the first year both my wife and I were completely won over. Hillside has a gifted teaching staff that offers a flexible approach and attention to each individual student, meeting them at their current level. While the small size of the student body does limit some opportunities it also promotes a level of cooperation, respect, individual responsibility and tolerance that won't be found in more conventional schools. If looking for a school today we would make the same choice. Involvement with the running Start program is a plus. The results speak for themselves- the older daughter is a mechanical engineering major at Stanford, the younger a biology/anthropology double major at Bowdoin.

Posted May 21, 2013
I'm a Hillside Alumni. I was there from 4th grade (they no longer have 4th grade) to graduation. As a 3rd grader coming from a terrible public school experience, Hillside was exactly what I needed. The teachers and staff genuinely care about the students. I felt safe and looked out for by not only the staff and teachers, but students as well. These are the kind of people you want your kids around. I was struggling with school confidence and I was able to get the 1:1 help I needed to help with the school subjects I was lacking in at the time and my personal confidence too. If your child goes into the upper school grade levels, they will learn how to write a quality college paper. I graduated from BC (AA degree) and UW (BA degree) and was amazed how a scary portion of my peers didn't know how to write a quality paper. I helped edit a lot... Other graduates from Hillside (who are still my best friends today) also experienced this at their college. There are at least 3 more qualities I wish I could list that I loved about it but I'm rapidly running out of room. So to sum up, if you're not sure. Win and doubt check it out.

Posted May 12, 2013
The curriculum of this school is exceptionally demanding, but also the teachers are incredibly warm! My child is very confident and supported by his peers. This school is a hidden gem for any student who is interested to achieve their very own best.

Posted March 28, 2013
This school is amazing. Most classes have no more than 5 or 6 students. The teachers are from top university. The average SAT scores are insane. This school is extremely warm, but also demanding that each student reach their FULL potential. My child was never so happy in life -- and he never learned so much so quickly.

Posted August 27, 2012
This will be my son's fifth year at Hillside. He has truly blossomed into a devoted learner and a great student, thanks to this great school. The teachers are warm and caring, and the students are kind to each other. My son is happy to be in a learning environment where there is time for depth, discussion and debate. His writing has improved by leaps and bounds. I can't say enough about this fabulous school. He is well-prepared for the rigors of college.

Posted August 20, 2012
My daughter has been at this school for just over a year and we haven't had one complaint! While the school may not have all the new high-tech gadgets, it has enough fun, compassion, learning, and friendship to far outweigh any deficiencies. My daughter has absolutely thrived at this school - academically and socially. I would recommend it to any parent looking for a balance between high-end learning and real-life lessons.

Posted July 17, 2012
This will be our second year at Hillside and we are looking forward to another fabulous year. This school environment supports real connections between students and each child is really celebrated for who they are. The academics are rigorous, the teachers are supportive, creative and motivated. Our son will graduate from Hillside, ready for college and with lifelong friends and amazing memories.

Posted July 04, 2012
When my child was entering middle school, we wanted a school that would let her blossom academically while embracing her individuality. Hillside's block system is terrific, designed to allow deeper exploration into multiple aspects of the subject. The classes are very small, so students can't hide and the teachers get to really know them. The school values art and has an artist in residence and a drama teacher. The teachers are excellent and the students are well-prepared for college. My daughter loves to go to school; the friends she has made there feel like family. We are all glad that we found this gem of a school.

Hillside Student Community
5027 159th Pl SE, Bellevue, WA  98006
Last modified Hillside Student Community is a Private school that serves grades 5-12
Hillside Student Community Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top