International School

Public | 6-12 | 547 students

Posted June 20, 2013

I graduated International in 2010 and have nothing but high praise. I appreciated the 7x7 curriculum and felt very prepared for my college level courses. Due to the school's size, getting involved in extra-curriculars is very easy. I also formed close relationships with my teachers and students in the other grades. I grew so much while at IS and have nothing but the fondest of memories. I will say that the science program isn't fantastic, but this is true across the district. Above all, my writing really improved throughout my time at IS (thanks to Mr. Webb and Mrs. Boxleitner), and I was a very happy student.

Posted June 6, 2013

Amazing, literally the best! There is so much they offer and they are helping me go to my dream college! -student

Posted January 16, 2012

I went to this school for awhile at the beginning of the year, and it was the worst experiance of my life. The kids were completly unwelcoming to me (since i was coming in as a new student. I had to go through 6 monthes of therapy and a major depression after i left, because my confidence was completly knocked from me. I found that the teachers were very strict and uptight, and hard to understand for unconventional learners. This is just my experiance, but i would not recomend this school to anyone.

Posted December 6, 2009

I'm a current student at IS, and I love it here. IS has, in particular, a great staff. Many teachers are absolutley adored, and it's a regular thing for students to hang out in various classrooms at lunchtime, or afterschool (often until 5 or 6pm, if they're waiting for a ride) not only to work, but to chat with other students, and with whatever teachers should happen to be in that classroom. Granted there are some teachers that most students agree don't teach to the same standards set by the rest of the staff, but I think that's true at any school. All the students also build great peer relationships here. Even if someone isn't one of your best friends, you're likely to be close enough to them to know their name, be able to tease them/joke with them, know who they hang out with, cont.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 14, 2009

The International School is a truly unique school. It is the only public school in the Northwest to require seven years of foreign language, seven years of fine arts and/or seven years of physical education. It has created a welcoming community devoted to providing the best possible, well-rounded education.

Posted March 6, 2008

This school is merely a posture of a good school: the teachers are nearly competent, the curriculum is hardly imaginative, the atmosphere is stifling, and the administration is a total joke, bending in to bureaucratic demands and whims of all types, with no regard towards sanity. IS has a marginally more conducive learning environment than other schools in the Bellevue school district - not saying much, by any means.

Posted October 16, 2007

I'm an alumni of International and I spent 7 great years there. The teachers are amazing and I would go as far as to call many of them my great friends; I have learned so much from them. The school has changed and continues to change. I am sad to see the old International disappear so rapidly. It is a good school, but it use to be great.

Posted February 7, 2006

parents are very involved at this school, older students serve as role models, teachers build relationships with students

Posted January 31, 2006

A wonderful school, but I worry that the priorities of the district are such that they're willing to give up on International's amazing progress. I'm amazed to hear a district continually make claims that one of their schools isn't really that special.

Posted January 4, 2006

I am currently a student at the International School in Bellevue, Washington and I LOVE IT! The only downside is the fact that we do not have any school sports. You will have to do sports through the other high school, which I do. Although, we have a awesome drama program (I participate in) and a 1'st place Robotics team. Compared to the other schools, you have a close relationship with teachers and they actually know your name! Also, we have a blocked schedule, rather than 7 classes a day! P.E. is something that our school focuses more on than other schools by running more and by working out year round. There are many more great things about I.S. Come check it out and see for yourself!
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

All Students97%

White89%
Not low income92%
Not special education92%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

25 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students93%
Female86%
White92%
Not low income92%
Not special education93%

Male97%
Not low income98%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

72 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

52 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Female97%

Average years educational experience 9N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 73%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

445 128th Ave SE