Posted June 10, 2014
Highly structured with each teacher being of high quality and maintaining like standards. You can't go wrong here, every classroom is a 10! The Principal obviously has put her heart and soul into the school, and it shows! My child receives special help for language (speech therapy) and the therapist is current in new methods and very kind.

Posted September 16, 2013
Columbia is an amazing community school and very strong on the academics. It makes me sad to see the negative reviews on here, but they are old reviews, so I feel the need to clear the air. Significant changes and improvements have obviously occurred and I've only seen thriving academics in my 5 years as a Columbia parent. The staff and parents work well together to educate the whole child: math, reading, writing, science, music, art, p.e.--you name it, these kids get it (with consistently high test scores). In addition to academics, their is a great emphasis on the Columbia Coho Commitments: Respect, Responsibility, Compassion, Perseverance, and Strive for Excellence. This school is producing fantastic students and citizens. Three cheers for Columbia!

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted February 04, 2011
We have been very happy at Columbia. The teachers have been great, and the school has received a "School of Distinction" award from the State the last 3 years. The children's reading scores are especially high. We've found the teachers to be kind, connected and smart. The PTA is very active, which allows the kids to do field trips, science fair, etc. Sometimes it does feel a little closed-in, so I back away for a while. All in all, we're grateful for the experience we've had at Columbia the past 5 years.

Columbia Elementary School 4

Posted November 04, 2009
Columbia is a fine school with a personal touch. The Special ED program is great and the teacher gives the kids good basics in math, reading and writing. However I find that sometimes that parents there are much to envolved and are very pushy at the school. So of the parents just need to back off and let the teachers do their jobs.

Posted June 16, 2009

Posted May 11, 2008
This is a nice safe school but they do not have a good Special Ed program. They do not have any sort of idea on how to treat children with special needs and could learn a thing or two from some of the other schools in the area.

Posted September 18, 2007
A nice safe place but not a whole lot of academics. And by that I mean none. Lest you count pajama days as academic. Anyway, second grade was basically the same as K'garten so we decided to go elsewhere for third.

Posted March 25, 2007
The kindergarten experience at Columbia was entirely disappointing. The teacher is disconnected, disorganized and self-centered. The parents are literally ignored and pushed away. The children are not greeted or approached warmly. We regularly are not told what is going on. It was a sad start to school. The first grade has had better communication, and a better teacher,but there is something ugly and unfriendly about that school. I wish we could afford an alternative.

Posted February 21, 2007
Because Columbia is a 'walking school' meaning no bussing, the parents are much more involved and you have a chance to really know all the kids and parents in your child's class. Other than that I really have nothing positive to say. Many teachers seem to do very little academic teaching, with way too much emphasis on free time, activities and fun time. Sure, learning should be fun, but we need a bit more learning going on here and some accountability to get kids up to grade level. Assessment too is very lax. My child was well below grade for reading and writing yet it never reflected in grading

Posted July 31, 2005
A culture of no teacher accountability and minimal academic rigor - as reflected in consistently poor WASL scores.

Columbia Elementary School
2508 Utter St, Bellingham, WA  98225
Last modified Columbia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Columbia Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews.