Bellingham, WA

Posted March 18, 2013
They have a new principal and he is great. Yes, the "make your day" was pretty bad, I hated it too. They have a thing called "think time" and it's WAY better than "make you day", you get plenty of warnings and you get to step out of the class room when you get one. It's a little embarrassing but to me, it's better than facing the wall at the back of the class room feeling embarrassed...All in all, this school is great, they also have Scholar assemblies where you win awards for things like, perfect attendance, pride, and many more. They some times even hand out t shirts with the awards. Most of the teachers are nice and help you out a lot. I especially liked this 7th grade teacher, others said she was strict and mean...she is alittle strict but she gets you prepared for the msp. I thank her for letting me receive my first 12/12 on the writing section of the msp. This school is great.

Shuksan Middle School 1

Posted June 20, 2011
Awful experience at this school. Can't wait for my child to go back to WMS after the fire reconstruction in the fall. The "Make Your Day" program is a wast of time not to mention a wast of funds to pay the MYD adult's job. Gum chewing? I had to go for a conference before my kid could go back to classes for gum chewing. Not challenging enough for bright kids (mine's an "A" student.) Too many low income families holding back the quick learners. Very sad for those kids. Most don't have family support at home. And to the comment on 10/13/10- they did not open their arms. It was always WMS and SMS. My child did not want to acclimate, and neigher did the friends. Oh, and my child didn't feel safe in the environment...lock downs, knives, fights, threats, disrespect to adults/others, graffiti. On the plus side, it's a new school and the rooms are large and bright. The cafeteria is too small. Student drop off and p/u is amazing, large parking lot and ease to move around.

Shuksan Middle School 5

Posted October 13, 2010
They opened their arms to take in the kids that lost their middle school when Whatcom Middle School burned in a fire! Thank you!

Posted August 04, 2009

Shuksan Middle School 3

Posted July 17, 2009
Teachers? Some okay, some good, some bad Administration? Bad, bad, bad. (They ignore the students, and it makes me mad, how they don't think about our problems and beliefs. Blek, they make me gag) Extracurricular activities? Pretty Good.

Shuksan Middle School 3

Posted May 06, 2009

Shuksan Middle School 0

Posted April 06, 2009
I disagree with the parent who claimed there is a lack of extracurricular activities. There is a very active music program. Each grade - 6, 7 & 8 - has an active band and there is an orchestra made up of kids from each grade. There is a student leadership program, a drama club, a chess club, and the school participates in a creative writing program through the public library. Sixth grade students who excel in subjects such as math are bumped up into higher levels so that by the 7th and 8th grade they are taking high school level classes both at Shuksan and at Squalicum High. Isn't easy (and a cheap shot) to lay the blame on low-income and minority kids...my first and only question to parents who make these claims is 'when was the last time you volunteered at any activity at Shuksan?'

Shuksan Middle School 5

Posted March 11, 2009

Shuksan Middle School 0

Posted February 25, 2009
I really had a very bad time at this school. As someone ese has said, all of the emphasis is put on the students with lower grades and the trouble students. I for one had alot of potential to grow alot as a person throughout middle school but was held back from that becuase we were put under such strict rules because of the group of students who wernt as ready to move foward. Also, the students who knew the school best, no matter how hard we tried by joing clubs like leadership, never really had a say in anything at all, and most of our ideas ended up being shut down. Overall, i would say that shuksan deffinetly needs alot of work.

Posted February 15, 2009

Shuksan Middle School
2713 Alderwood Ave, Bellingham, WA  98225
Last modified Shuksan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shuksan Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top