No rating

Whatcom Day Academy

Private | PK-8 | 93 students

Our school is best known for nurturing the brilliance in every child.

Living in Bellingham

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $244,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted August 17, 2014

My kids have been at Whatcom Day Academy for two years starting in preschool. Dedicated teachers and small class size really accelerate their learning! The kids have fun in a safe environment and make great progress every month. I definitely recommend Whatcom Day to all other parents.

Posted August 9, 2014

We have been at Whatcom Day Academy for 2 years now and are really glad that our child is getting educated in such a fantastic STEAM driven school that encourages development of every child at their own pace. Very fun loving school with great emphasis on community, good teaching staff and an energetic Head of School. Go WDA !!!

Posted August 5, 2014

Whatcom Day Academy is a excellent school that embraces teaching through hands on learning and experimental learning. It's been awesome to see my son blossom from a young shy preschooler to an out-going and energetic first grader. I'm am always amazed at what he is learning at school and tells me about at home. One of the great things that makes WDA stand out apart from other schools is the smaller class sizes which allows more personal attention between teachers and students. By being a smaller private school, you really get to know other parents and families and feel part of a community. With the emphasis on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics) education, both curriculum and teaching methodology, you can be sure that you children will get the best education that will last a lifetime.

Posted August 4, 2014

Whatcom Day Academy is OPEN! Yes!! I'm so happy that the teachers, parents and friends of the school worked so hard during the past year to re-invigorate this school and its important intellectual work with children. It's going to be a fantastic year.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 3, 2014

Whatcom Day Academy is a fabulous school. My grandsons have both attended since they were 3 years old and now at ages 10 and 7 are thriving. They are both performing above their grade level in math and reading. They have already developed critical thinking skills that will be with them forever. I wish I had been able to attend a school like WDA, when each child is nurtured and encouraged to excel. I'm especially pleased with the emphasis on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math). I fully expect my grandsons to continue to grow both academically and personally because of the education they are receiving at WDA.

Posted January 23, 2014

WDA is such a community! Can't say enough about how my daughter has flourished and grown in the last 3 years with the help of her various teachers. I feel like they are meeting her needs, are flexible but yet direct and encourage in a positive manner. I also know that with the smaller class sizes that she feels like she is heard as well. So glad this option is here in Whatcom County. Just wish they offered a high school now!

Posted November 3, 2013

WDA is a fabulous school, especially with their early years programs. They have excellent and innovative teachers who truly teach the whole child. However, administration changes and financial issues that were not predisclosed this year have left us feeling uncomfortable with the school and the board members in charge. I hope they can turn it around, but at this point my child will go somewhere else next year.

Posted October 29, 2013

We are fortunate to have such kind, compassionate and dedicated teachers at Whatcom Day Academy. Small classes give teachers the time to work with the students individually, so they can build on their strengths and work on their weaknesses. We are extremely happy with Whatcom Day Academy! Our son is excited to go to school and that says a lot! We highly recommended WDA!

Posted October 29, 2013

Great Teachers, an incredible open/flexible learning environment, and an emphasis on cultivating the individual students abilities is what sets this school apart. In addition to academics, WDA develops confident students that are comfortable with who they are.... I am always awestruck by the speeches given by the culminating students to all the students, faculty and parents on the last day of school during the year end picnic. These young adults heading into high school are so at ease, comfortable and well spoken, displaying traits usually not developed until after at least several years of experience at college.

Posted October 25, 2013

My school is Whatcom Day Academy. My daughter has only attended WDA for 2 years now. My intent was to have her in a safe environment where she is able to make mistakes and learn from them. Instead of be punished and made to feel bad about herself as in the public school system. I wish that I was able to have her attend throughout her early years in school. The philosophy at WDA, Nurturing the Brilliance in every child, is whatmade my decision to have my daughter attend. I am not sure what my school can do to improve. At this time I hope that the school is still here in 5years, so that my granddaughter can attend, starting with preschool.

Posted October 24, 2013

Whatcom Day Academy has provided my kids with a phenomenal education. They both are not only learning above grade level, they are socially well rounded because of the emphasis on multi-age classrooms and active engagement in their own learning. They both love going to school here. Can't say enough great things about this school!

Posted October 24, 2013

WDA has made school and learning positive for my 10 year old son. The engaging curriculum, hands-on approach, and cooperative learning has transformed him into a student who is excited to learn and confident in his abilities. He sees purpose in what he's doing and what he's learning from it. I see him growing socially and academically like never before thanks to his excellent teachers. I am very satisfied with WDA.

Posted October 24, 2013

My daughter has been attending for four years and the classroom sizes and willingness to accommodate her needs have been amazing. She is being challenged and is not limited to a one size fits all type program. The teachers are hard working and dedicated and I am very thankful for them as a part of my team in the education of my daughter.

Posted October 24, 2013

This is a great school, and my child really enjoys it here. They have mixed age classes (for instance, 1st and 2nd grades are combined), and I've found that this can be beneficial to children that are either above or below grade level.

Posted October 24, 2013

This is my DD's second year at Whatcom Day Academy and she loves it! The teachers and assistants are friendly and encouraging. Class room sizes are small and students receive plenty of attention. Great school!

Posted October 24, 2013

We really like WDA and appreciate the school's education approach. Small class sizes and great teachers get the best out of all the students in the class. Our child's teachers are very organized and communicate the learning objectives at the beginning of the week so that we can take what our child is learning at school and help him apply it at home. We're amazed at the rate at which our child is developing in this school!

Posted October 23, 2013

Whatcom Day Academy provides an outstanding education for children who are intellectually curious and want to learn. There is a heavy emphasis on the whole child and experiential learning.

Posted July 9, 2013

Our two children have been at Whatcom Day for several years now, and are thriving! They both excel in academic areas. My son is reading 3 grade levels ahead of his age, and is about 1.5 levels ahead in math. The cool thing is that the small class sizes and flexible classes allow both of my kids to be met where they are... the kids move up to be challenged in areas they excel in, and are supported in areas where they need extra help. No stigma (either for excelling or struggling), just a truly collaborative learning environment. Teachers are easy to talk with on a regular basis, and are invested in rounding out the whole child. An awesome and unique school in our community!

Posted November 15, 2012

Since starting preschool in the fall, my 4-year old daughter has gained so much confidence, especially with new people and situations. It's so nice to be at a school with such caring and attentive teachers and staff. My 2-year old can't wait until she gets to go to school next year too!

Posted July 19, 2011

We had been at WDA for 3 years and opted to try a different private school in Bellingham. Needless to say we returned to WDA, with a much greater appreciation for the exceptional education we had been receiving. WDA has a much superior math and science curriculum. The teachers at the intermediate and middle school levels are beyond exceptional. My children are engaged, eager learners at WDA! Why settle for traditional, linear education models, when you can have truly active learning? Happy to pay the higher tuition for the very BEST private school in Whatcom County.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 7%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
PE instructor(s)
Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Rob Schultz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• STEAM
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Media arts
  • Graphics

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom