PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

For what they teach it seems the kids learn what they wan them to know. I don't think it really prepares them for the reality of public high school or how to function in that setting.

Amount of homework: no rating

It depends upon the grade level your child is in. The lower grades don't get homework until the 3rd grade.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I think they sell the idea of honesty, integrity and fairness but they do not lead by adult example.

At first I was taken by all the hype about the school. I believed the lie. I really fell for the illusion they present of a community that cares about and nurtures children in a safe environment. The problem is that under the illusion there is a lot of back biting among the staff and a gate keeper mentality. Under the illusion of community and a desire for economic diversity there is class-ism. Under the illusion of acceptance there is discrimination and ableism. I promise that if your child has a intellectual or learning disability they will push your child off on the public school for services which negates the whole purpose of going there or they will deny them admissions because "they cannot serve the child" or they believe "the child's disabilities will distract from the other children". The truth is that non of the teachers hold real education degrees. They go to Steiner College and only know that style of teaching and theories of learning. The gate keepers do not want intellectual diversity and abide in ableism. They talk out of both sides of their mouth when confronted about this issue. I pulled my son out of there when they denied a high functioning autistic child admission based on the fact that she could not count to ten verbally and refused to test her so that the child could show that she could count in writing. They want all the children to fit into their ideal Waldorf child. Thus, if you cannot count to ten verbally but can write your numbers to 100 you will be denied admission by the gate keepers. I do not recommend this school if you want your child to grow up to be emphatic to those that are different than the IDEAL WALDORF CHILD.

We have been at Whatcom Hills for two years now. We are thrilled with the school. Our child loves it. It is a magical place. There is a lot of work involved for the parents but I think it is well worth it. I don't think there is any school with 100% parent satisfaction but I am very happy with the school and so is my child. The teachers really seem to care about the school and its students. They may be going through some changes and even dropped some classes but do they really need TWO foriegn languages? They do still have woodworking and many other "extra" classes you wont find in public schools.

I've been a parent at this school for four years and I've noticed a clear deterioration of the school in general and the teaching in particular. Constant talk of financial difficulties and reduced programs combined with low teacher morale show signs of rapidly deteriorating organization. There seems to be no clear future and extremely low morals. This will be my last year.

I noticed that several of the positive reviews are the EXACT SAME review as the Seattle Waldorf school. Is it possible that theses positive reviews are actually seeded. Could a school stoop that low?

I value the Waldorf School's focus on the individual needs of the child and its efforts to educate our children to be balanced human beings. Also I appreciate the Schools efforts to foster an appreciation of the true,the good and the beautiful in the world and in themselves.

I've been a parent at WHWS for over 10 years. I am the proud parent of a high school graduate, high school sophomore and eighth grader. WHWS is a school that nurtures the whole child while at the same time providing a rich and comprehensive curriculum that creates life long learners. I'm so proud that my children have been to attend WHWS and I'm grateful for the community that is provides for our family.

My two daughter have absolutely loved the school. The have both attended since kindergarten and have thrived. I was concerned because both of their reading skills lagged somewhat behind the metrics set up by the publice school system and as I was told, they would read when they were ready. By 4th grade my older daughter was a voracious reader and finished the entire Harry Potter series in one summer. She has far surpassed all public school standards and best of all she did it on her own without anyone forcing her to read using an arbitrary timeline. We held our youngest daughter back one extra year in kindergarten because we felt she was not ready. The extra time was instrumental in her development. She now thrives in class and truly loves her classmates and her teacher.

Last modified Whatcom Hills Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8