K-12|Private

Bad
Good
1 OVERALL RATING

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 29, 2016
I was able to take my education into the real world and get involved in my community by getting credit for volunteering and serving people. I was also able to design classes that involved learning about and practicing compassion, caring and empathy. Having the freedom to study about great leaders who I'm inspired by was very useful as well.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 29, 2016
This school meets one on one with each student, and treats each student with respect and kindness. Because the classes are designed by the student and teachers together, you are learning only to help yourself. There is no point in cheating in this style of learning because its such a good opportunity to spend your time working on what you want to develop.

Alger Learning Center & Independence High School 5

Posted February 29, 2016
I graduated from Alger Learning Center and Independence High School in 2009. I had such a great experience because I was able to design my own classes based on my own interest and ability. Finally I could read the books that seemed interesting and relevant to my situation and goals. I received a lot of help and support from the staff. I highly recommend this school for people interested in a homeschool style with the support and resources of a school.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 29, 2016
Thank you John Lackey for providing a school where people can have freedom in there learning. This school can really set up students to be life long learners and to be successful in the world. It definitely helped me and a lot of my friends.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 29, 2016
The teachers are there to help you learn how to teach yourself. In that since they are more like guides on a path that you could call your education. The teachers can help you find resources and content to make your classes out of, but it is up to the student to walk the path if they are to learn anything. I became my own teacher in this school (with the quality help of the teachers who could be considered learning coaches)

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 29, 2016
When each student gets to set their own bar, the sky is the limit. If a student is being limited by some aspect of their class, they can always adjust the class to be more challenging and/or motivating. You can spend time reviewing basic algebra or exploring advanced physics. What ever level the student has a spark of curiosity is where the content happens. I found that having that aspect of flexibility gave me more determination, especially because my classes were relevant to what I wanted to do with my life.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 29, 2016
Students in ALC are treated as equal human beings, neither inferior or superior to each other or to the staff. When I was given freedom and trust to take on my own classes that I designed, I had much more respect for my teachers as well as myself.

100 Pine Street, Bellingham, WA  98225
Last modified Alger Learning Center & Independence High School is a Private school that serves grades K-12