Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Over the last three years we have had nothing but wonderful experiences from KI-Be. As someone that splits parenting time I find it amazing that all of the front staff knows each child's parents. There have been the usual things come up when dealing with a school but there has always been a quick professional response. It is a small town school that tries its best to provide a great education in a safe environment.

The bullying we encountered this last year was atrocious. Some of the problems were handled very well in a timely manner by our elementary school teachers. Others that needed more attention was a joke. What was suppose to be the counselor never did any follow-ups nor did she return any of our phone calls. The middle school teachers were informed of a fight that happened and turned a blind eye. That only tells the children it's OK to use physical violence to handle a situation instead of trying defusing and discussing the matter as mature individuals.

Shortly after enrolling my children after moving into the district, I was shocked to hear how behavior issues were being handled in the school district (I had children in elementary and middle school). The teachers will yell out to a student "[student's name], you're on step 1!" which means that they have to get out of their seat and go face the wall until the teacher said they could return to their seat. Unacceptable practice in my opinion for a child to be singled out and not allowed to engage in the lesson with the rest of the class. Teachers should be using positive ways to enforce the behaviors they wish to see, not some 19th century practice. Might as well put a dunce cap on these kids while they're at it!

Agree with previous posters.For the most part regular education is standard.But when it comes to special services they have little support. Both of my sons needed to be tested and its been 8 months and they just got their testing dates. They work very little with the parents and leave it all in the parents hands.If it wasnt for my sons preschool teacher that really pushed for them to speed up the process for my son I would probably still be waiting.Since they only do testing Fridays and are booked months in advance,If that is the case you would think they would restructure the special services dept to keep up with they children needing testing.

I have to agree with the previous comment. There is not much if any support from the special services department. My daughter is in the process of finally being tested for special services, but it took almost six months. Even though if you request, verbally or in writing, testing for special services, by law the school has 25 days to test the child. The school puts all of the accountability on the parent, and behave as if it is not their problem. If you are looking for a school that has a good special education program, Benton CIty School DIstrict is not it.

The regular education part of the school is fair, but there is not much support from the special services department. I nagged and nagged them for a good year about my son needing their services, but they kept putting me off over and over again. Finally after months and months of waiting (not to mention the thousands of $$ to get into a specialist to have my son tested--he more than qualified for all their services.He needed speech therapy, OT and PT as well as a number of accommodations. That was 5 months ago and I still get very little support from this school. They have a way of making me feel like it is our problem and that my son is a loss cause. I'm very disappointed in the sped services.

This school is wonderful! We really love it. The staff is remarkable. They are very friendly and all seem to really love their jobs. All children are treated with respect and genuine concern. We moved here from another state and couldn't be more happy with this school. It's truly amazing.

Last modified Kiona-Benton City Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5