Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My son (was) a 1st grader here.... he had 20 minutes of reading every. Single. Night and the paperwork that was sent home (extra homework) was in Spanish (to accomodate the majority of students at this school) we don't speak Spanish....

As a mother, like other mothers we walk away each morning leaving our children in the hands of what we "think" are acceptable, trustworthy, positive & educational mentors.... NOT here folks. Our experience at Allen West Elementary was, at the very least horrible. My son, a first grader at Allen Elementary told me that on 2 separate occasions, he'd been slapped across the face by another student and when prompted by me if he'd told the teacher, he'd said "my teacher saw it and did nothing".... One morning I stood in the cafeteria line with my son to pay for his breakfast when a boy in front of us was told "No No honey, you don't have any money so you can't have breakfast" as she physically grabbed his tray of food from him... this poor boy, hungry and in tears walked away.... I was APPALLED!! I witnessed another employee of the school (NOT a teacher) scold & belittle a young girl in front of her mother about something she'd done earlier in class.... really?? who are these people?? Wednesday, November 8th when I picked up my son from school. When we passed the local Army recruiters office, he and I quote "The president is a very bad man"... I asked "Why do you say that"... my sons response sent me reeling..."He's going to send all the Mexicans back to Mexico and build a wall so they can't ever come back here".!!! I asked him "who told you that??"...He said "My teacher told me that".I WAS FLOORED!!! I called for a meeting, with the principal/superintendent AND my sons teacher... the following morning I met with the principal and assistant superintendent ....and to my surprise....no teacher. They where both apprehensive about my son being in the room, but THEY needed to hear what I heard.... they didn't care. It showed. They told me my sons teacher did EXACTLY what she should've done.... WHOA! WAIT!! WHAT??? In fact this conversation was being held in class amongst ALL OF THESE CHILDREN!!!! And before the meeting was over they made it perfectly clear that their only concern was that I'd posted my dismay on social media... they wanted it taken off. They didn't care about my son, the other kids or the simple fact that these children where being poisoned by one persons BIASED opinion..... best part? They're in 1st grade. That teacher SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED!!! But, instead she got a pat on the back and resumed her poisonous position....

the principle and teachers are doing a much better job communicating this year than last. My daughter is happier and loves her teacher. thank you Allen

My children just finished the 6th and 2nd grade and had very caring teachers. Both teachers challenged my children and both finished with high marks. The academic program called ACTS (Able,creative, and talented students) in the district for high achievers is excellent. The test scores are not the highest in the district due to transient and students struggling with the language. There is also a low parent involvement which is a struggle when fund raising.

Last modified Allen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.