Bremerton High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 27, 2014

BHS fails to provide appropriate supports and education to special education students with 504 plans. ADD/ADHD ,Autism any disability with behavior issues is not supported at this school. In fact my child was abused by staff when meltdowns occured, resulting in her becoming aggressivive towards staff. Staff repeatidly reported to me they did not know what to do. I fought for years to get behavioral support. the school refused. I pulled my child out for weeks at a time due to her being mistreated. From 9th grade to 12th grade my child was not welcome at school. Incident reports were falcified, staff was deceptive about marks on child. Reports not filed, parents not notified. The deceit went from classroom staff, to pricncipals, to district staff. I pulled my child from school sending a letter stating that student will return when proper behavioral support is in place. no response to my letter. no contact from school until they dropped her enrollement after 20 days of absence. They failed to provide an appropriate education and then dropped the student. What an injustice. BHS is the worst school , total lack of compassion and respect for students with disabilities. Appalling!

Posted May 18, 2013

My name is Harley Quiroz and I attended Bremerton High School from 1996-1999 and the teachers there are top of the line , very professional and caring I highly encourage parents to enroll their teens into this school

Posted June 10, 2011

I'm graduating today. I find the BHS staff to be the friendliest and most personally caring of any school I've been to in kitsap county. I am also a running start student; comparing BHS instructors to Olympic College instructors, the math and english instruction from was much more capable in my opinion. The same material could be covered at the highschool, and it was faster to go over, and more comprehensible. The BHS Knights are underdogs and often talked down upon, however the bad reputation does not fit reality. We have some top notch teachers and outstanding staff. (Chem instructors at O.C. are better though)

Posted October 19, 2010

I am currently a sophomore at Bremerton High School, and love the school. Sport and extra activities are wide ranged, and classes are good. We have some amazing teachers, and truthfully, the school doesn't deserve it's previously bad reputation.

Posted May 22, 2009

Not a good school for struggling teens, teens with ADD; teachers and principals are not very compassionate and understanding of those who have learning disabilities. My son went here for 9th grade and I was not at all impressed with how he was treated. He is at a much better school now. This school is good for those who enjoy getting involved in sports, clubs, activities, cliques and kids who do not struggle with learning and getting good grades.

Posted December 2, 2008

I love this school and its great that they added the 9th graders it took some time to get used tio them but its great! Bremerton rocks!GO KNIGHTS!

Posted September 2, 2008

A great school! Next to Olympic College I was able to take college courses during my senior year. Recently the 9th graders have joined the 10-12th graders at the main campus. I honestly thought it was going to be a drag but they turned out to be so mature and most of them were respectful. Little did I know I would be competeing against the freshmen for the most school spirit. I heard that the staff started preparing the new 9th graders for college just as much as the seniors were. The teachers are so helpful and nice. Throughout my 4 years at BHS I am still wondering why its reputation is still called the 'ghetto.' They have excellent AP courses& extracurricular activities. Band, orchestra, choir, & NJROTC are some of the best programs in the state. The students are so diversed & unique it'll be hard not to make friends!

Posted August 2, 2007

My son graduated BHS this past June. When my son started attending Bremerton High I became aware of the fantastic career and tech ed program there. From the computer classes to the photography classes, my son has learned so many skills and the teachers are very enthusiastic and really seem to like what they are doing. I think without such enthusiastic teachers, my son wouldn't have been so excited about school. There could be a lot more parental involvement.

Posted June 28, 2007

As a student of Bremerton High School, I have seen that the regular classes at Bremerton High aren't hard. However the Honors and Advanced Placement ciriculum is difficult and [most] of the teachers are well cut out for the job. The school has begun to take a stand against gang violence, and the ninth graders as of next year will be joined with the 10th-12th graders. ALtogether i believe this school no longer deserves it's 'ghetto' reputation. The classes are decent, the campus is one of the best, the sports teams are starting to bounce back, and our music programs are international award winners!

Posted November 21, 2006

Academia will not be a priority for your child and college planning is null. This is a result of the culture of BHS...where learning is not the emphasis.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 19, 2006

I think there can be more emphasis on high level education that actually allows the students to be competitive.

Posted May 16, 2006

I had mixed feelings when i heard the 9th gradewas on a different campus than the 10-12grades, making it difficult to really take part in Extra curricular activites. But i must say that his grades are up. i see that he receives a lot of needed positive comments from both staff and peers that has also boosted self confidence and self image. I have a 10grader who requires an IEP. the PreVoc office and SEstaff have been awesome in working with my him by setting a positive and respectful envirionment. He has accomplished more this past year academially and socially than the last 3 years combined at a privateschool. His grades, self esteem are up and he is making better choices due mostly to the staff working with him on a daily basis. We belive he willbe able to graduate ontime with employable skills immediately outof school, which wasonly a dream before.

Posted February 19, 2005

I was a student at BHS and felt short changed. There were very few teacher who really cared and wanted to teach. most were there for other reason such as participating in coaching ect. I will be enrolling my child in private school to avoid the bremerton school district.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 4, 2003

My son is a senior this year at Bremerton High School. I have nothing but positive things to say about the staff, students, curriculum, and the school in general. I would like to see more parental involvement. I think the school itself is great. GO KNIGHTS!

Posted July 1, 2003

I was a student of BHS and if i had it all over to do again I would go to BHS again because its a great school with outstanding teachers and role models.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students63%

Male43%
Low income29%
Not special education38%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

318 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

285 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 59%N/A66%

• Katharine Gleysteen

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1500 13th St