White River High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 16, 2011

White River High School has a lot to be proud of. Supportive teachers and staff, innovative administrators, a wide variety of class offerings support for students at all levels, various avenues for student involvement, and great coaches and sports teams. Go Hornets!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 15, 2011

I am a current student at White River High School and I love it, every school has its flaws and problems but WRHS has turned around a lot from when I was a freshman. We now do the Rachel's Challenge every school year and I believe that the school's bullying and everything has gone down a lot, there are less fights at school. GO WRHS :)

Posted March 6, 2011

I don't get why people say this school is the WORST school ever. Every school has it's drug problems, and flaws. You tell me ONE school where EVERY student is a little angel, and EVERY teacher is sent from above. Can't think of one, huh? Most of my teachers are very inspiring academically, and personaly. I've learned many new things this year, and all of my teachers push us to strive for perfection. I'm proud to be a WRHS student and look forward to the years to come. P.S: Our school could use a little more parent involvement. Yes, I'm talking to you.

Posted November 22, 2008

white river seems to be the best school out there, to me anyways.. the people here are so real and down to earth. i went to bonney lake and i couldnt stand the snobbiness and how much the other students were torwards others. i love everything about my school, flaunts and all. the teachers are great and the clubs/sports are amazing. its a great all-around kind of school but its the students that i will never forget, even after 10 years of graduation.

Posted February 28, 2008

This is my 10th year teaching at White River High School. I am very proud of my school and of the education and caring about students that we offer. Every school has it's pros and cons, and you have to look at both in order to give a true rating. White River has, and continues to have, growing pains. We are not teaching to just the town of Buckley any more. Times are changing and we are growing, the community needs to embrace that fact. The administration and teachers at White River work hard for our students and we will continue to do so. As a teacher the most frustrating things for me are student apathy and lack of parent support. Hard work and dedication pay! It is discouraging to read some of the parent posts on this site. Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a site to rate parents???
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 4, 2007

While my high school experience was not perfect, I fondly look back on my four years spent at WRHS. I made many lasting friendships with other students and especially the staff. There are numerous teachers who want to be there and who make a difference daily in the lives of the students. The community is really supportive of the sports programs, but the support is lacking when it comes the arts. There is little college prep at the school but that is due to lack of demand.

Posted August 15, 2007

great school they really help the children

Posted May 30, 2007

White River has been experiencing major disciplinary and teacher issues. All of which are very concerning. Their special ed math program is questionable, at best. Some teachers more less mature than their students.

Posted March 22, 2007

I see that the best scores have all been given by current or graduated students. I think I shall be the one to break the mold. White River High School has major issues with discipline and student expectations. If a student misbehaves, their disciplinary system is far too forgiving and with gaping loop-holes. As a student of White River High School, I do not recommend this school to others. It may look beautiful on the outside, but the inside, the students, are rotten to the core.

Posted January 31, 2006

White River High School has difficulty in protecting our children and with administering discipline in incidents of bullying. Administrators neglect to follow through or to investigation allegations in a timely manner. My family and I have been thoroughtly disappointed in this process and worry about the possibility of tragedy resulting from the lack of immediate attention to such serious matters.

Posted October 31, 2005

This high school is one of the better schools in washington because of all their programs available to children. But you have to be a perfect student for the school to work for you. So as long as your child is perfect and does not have a problems it is a wonderful school.

Posted February 18, 2005

As a White River High School graduate and now a college freshman I would say that this school has a great community built around it. There are also some amazing and inspiring teachers there. On the other hand, WRHS did not prepare me for college. The math curriculum is better than average, but the sciences need to be improved dramatically. It's amazing how far behind I have been at college in physics and chemistry. Students need to read more in their classes and teachers should be better instructed in how to take advantage of block scheduling. Maybe the new administration will correct some of problems.

Posted November 13, 2004

I was an exchange student at White River in 2000. I know it has been quiet a while but I'm still thinking about my old school a lot and wanted to let everybody know that White River is a great school! It's wonderful how the teachers care for the students and I don't remember one day of school that I didn't enjoy while going there. Out of 14 years of school (no worries, in Germany it's normal to attend school this long) my WRHS year was the best. The program offered to kids is really good and classes are fun and educating. The best school I've ever been to!

Posted October 25, 2004

I graduated in 2004 and have gone all four years. I participated in cross country and track which was a great experience because the coaches were eager to help you in anything you wished. Their teachers are excellent in allowing you to challenge yourself. Actually this gave me the opportunity to participate in the Running Start program which allowed me to get into the University of Washington this fall. Although that could be seen as a downfall because they didnt offer classes that I wanted to take to expand my knowledge in a particular subject(s). The counselors were also great at helping you find your career - thats how I found my love for Marine Biology. Also, this school is constantly growing and helping students get into great colleges. In fact 6 people I know got into the UW and many more got into other great schools.

Posted October 22, 2004

I went to white river high school 1999-2003. I just wanted to say that White River High School was the best High school I could have gone to. I was actually on this site to look up email address of some of my old teachers because 1 year and 5 months later I still think about White River. All teachers at WRHS are perfect. They make students feel like they have developed a personal relationship while still maintaining a professional relationship as well. I guess what I am saying is I admire the teachers and the also inspired me to be somebody. Vanessa Granger

Posted September 17, 2004

I am a ninth grader at WRHS. I have gone to WR District my entire life. I agree that all teachers weren't the best but the ones that were are awesome. We have a new principal and vice principal and it has been fun so far this year. I would give this school a thumbs up.

Posted August 20, 2004

I loved going to this school! Every one of the teachers tried so hard to help every student, even if they weren't theirs. One teacher in particular is Mrs. Campbell. She runs the connections program, which takes high school students and takes them out of their comfort zone and teaches them how to interact with all kinds of people. I was fortunate enough to go through the program twice. I was able to go to an elementary once a week and help some fourth and fifth graders learn new things. The second time i was working with the middle school's special needs students. Out of all the things that i taught them I think they taught me the most important thing. Love everyone. the school is incredible, and I'm proud to have graduated from it!

Posted July 17, 2004

For the four years that I went to White River High School, I was sure that it was the worst school in the entire world. I hated being in high school. I felt like a complete loser. Now that I'm an adult and I look back on everything I did in school, I feel pride. I feel honored to have gone to a school that holds the students in such high regard. Every teacher I met knew me. They talked to you as a person, not a mere child. I was given every opportunity to be a great student. I thank those teachers and other staff members for that.

Posted July 14, 2004

I attended this school for 4 years. I enjoyed my time here. Every teacher I had worked with me and tried their hardest to see me succeed. I wasn't the best student. But I'm proud of where I went to school, I think they did a great job with me and many of my peers. It was a fun place to be.

Posted June 12, 2004

I'm a student at white river HS. I read what one of parents wrote about the school and I just couldn't believe it. I love going to school there, the teachers help in every way they can. Over all, I would reather go to white river then any other school this state has to offer. If any parent out there wants to talk trash about our school, go ahead, I guess we students and our older sports funs are the only ones left with any pride in this town. The one true problem in this school is the lack of parent involvement in the education process, we need more then one or two parents that come to help out.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students54%

Low income53%
Not low income54%
Not special education51%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

313 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

277 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 10N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 63%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

26928 120th St East