Bad
Good

My daughter is in 8th grade this year and is incredibly sad to leave Sylvester - it is the place she has blossomed as a student. She was always a good student, but the staff here is phenomenal and has shown her the way to become an outstanding student. The diversity in the school is terrific - my daughter is white, but her 4 closest friends are not; whole new worlds have opened up to her through the students she's met here. Wonderful staff, great students - and a special shout-out to Mr. Shorb who has made science fun and engaging to middle school kids. We will miss his guidance and dedication along with the other outstanding teachers at Sylvester. Only sad that we will be moving and my other child won't attend here - hands down the best middle school in the district.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

In addition to the great teachers, I have to say the office staff has been truly great whenever I needed anything. A special thanks to Mr. Marshall in the counseling office. He's one of the few people in Highline who will level with you and give you the unvarnished truth - a real asset.

Don't judge this book by its cover: Sylvester's physical appearance is bedraggled, but its staff and academic offerings are terrific. I can't say enough positive things about the people who work there from the principal on down. My daughter LOVES this place and has seen terrific academic success. The student diversity in terms of race, socio-economic status and political/religious background gave her the opportunity to study and truly look at issues from a variety of viewpoints. It has been a very rich experience .

Excellent school. I was very impressed with the teachers attention along with the principle for calling me when my son needed to do his class or home work. Had it not been for Sylvester, our son would not have made it out of Middle School and into High School. Great co operation on everyones part. Thank you Sylvester.

This school is great, if your an honors kid... I went to this school and personally my experience was so-so. Language arts (great) amazing teachers History (basic) teachers are mediocre Science (basic) teachers are mediocre Math (terrible!) teacher was great, but he seemed like he had no teaching experience what so ever! I had asked to move to a higher math class but there was only one algebra 1 class ! How ridicules. Health(basic) Teachers are on also basic Physical education (basic) good teaching,and basic. Electives (great) the teachers are nice if your good, these classes almost seem like the most informative. Overall this school isn't great , it honestly sucks. As a student I'm glad I'm out of that school. They don't even have avid..

its a nice comfortable environment the staff works hard to give the stu8dents the best education in the world and they have a nice caring strong relationship with the students

The teachers are caring and smart. The principal is very political and detracts from the learning and good work of the teachers. I would like to see more parent involvement - again that falls on the administration.

It's the greatest school in the world, nothing is better! Thank you Sylvester. It even improved my grades alot!!

I teach math at SMS, and I love it. The staff works very well together to ensure that every student has a chance at being successful. The District offers many opportunities to improve teaching practices, keep current on research, and to increase content knowledge. I was also a student at Sylvester; I teach there now, that might speak for itself.

i went there and it wasn't really that great. some of the teachers were really rude and couldn't control the class. i went to cascade middle school and it not true that it is bad and i wen t there and now i'm going to wetern university.

Last modified Sylvester Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.