West View Elementary School 5

Posted October 08, 2012
Patience is a virtue. I have two daughters who are English experts enrolled in this school. For the first Primary years of school (K-3) it is expected that the English will not be the primary focus (thus the Dual Language program). Students who's 1st language is English need to gain a firm grasp on the new language they are learning (in order to learn fluency). Yes, tests done in English may show the grade scores as lower, BUT the English speaking students will develop much quicker in the Upper grades as they progress rapidly in their 1st language, English. It is an 8 year commitment to bringing your child to complete Spanish/English fluency. I believe that Dual language schools should not be tested in a State Standard way. Immersion schools should develop a different type of Universal Bi-lingual Test in order to demonstrate that the program is not failing.... It is in fact progressing, beyond one language. I recommend this school if you want your child to gain knowledge beyond one language. The commitment involves the parent being supportive to the school, teachers, students, other parents, and most importantly to their own child's new embarkment of dual language proficiency.

West View Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2011
This is one of the three poorest performing schools in the state of Washington, based on testing data. The school's enrollment has been in steady decline for the past several years. The district has been propping up enrollment at this school by allowing out-of-district students in its "dual language" program. There has been slight improvement lately in test data, as a percentage. But this is largely because of a very low baseline.

West View Elementary School 2

Posted September 13, 2010
My experience with Westview started in 1996 when I was researching schools in town for my son. Westview was recommended hands down because of its great teachers. Both of my children attended Westview from Kindergarten to 8th grade. The changes in the school from 1996 to today are monumental and not in a good way. I don't even recognize the school that my son started in 1996. The Dual Language program is the only emphasis at the school and heaven forbid you should have any questions about it. The principal will suggest you transfer to a different school in the district. There are still really good teachers at Westview but the best keep transfering to other schools and now retiring. I am sad to see what the school has become. I would not recommend it to another parent.

Posted May 10, 2010
The dual-language program is awesome!

West View Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2010
My Child has been at west view since kindergarten and they are now in 5th grade. I feel that this school is doing a commendable thing for the Hispanic community. However the primarily English speaking children at the school are loosing a vital part of their education. I am going to be pulling my child at the end of this year due to continued low test scores, and the inability for my child to learn the subjects that are taught in Spanish. I understand this program was started due to a need for the Spanish students to learn English. However I do not think My child will be ready for high school since they have not learned what they need to be ready for high school. I feel that the idea of the school is great, and that it could be a very positive thing. However at this time, its not.

Posted May 06, 2010
West View Elementary houses some of our poorest children in our community. It is major need of a new playground that is safe and clean for our children to be able to play and be active. Also, West View provides an envioronment for all children and families. They have an excellent dual-language program for children to grow and learn two large cultures in our community. This opens doors for many students in their futures.

Posted May 05, 2010
A tremendous caring attitude for their strudents. A commitment to provide a good education despite many barriers. The students are terrific!

Posted May 05, 2010
West View connects with the children, parents, and community in a deep and vital way. I am with the ESL and GED program at the local Community College so I work with the parents of children at the school. Many of these parents don't yet speak English but they already have a comfort and trust of what West View is doing for their children and the community

Posted May 05, 2010
West View provides a great learning environment to students with many barriers to achievement. They deserve the support of the commnity for the tremendous job they are doing in providing a nurturing and caring place where students know they are valued.

West View Elementary School 5

Posted May 03, 2010
West View has great teaching & the teachers always have time to help a student out. They do all they can so their student can have a good education.

West View Elementary School
515 West Victoria Ave, Burlington, WA  98233
Last modified West View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 80 reviews. Top