Covington, WA

Posted November 05, 2014
Mattson has some dynamic, awesome teachers and some really lousy teachers as well. The 8th grade honors English teacher is an example of one of the lousy teachers. She swears in class, has attendance issues and is disorganized and will punish students for alleged missing assignments when she is the one who cannot keep track. When you try to talk with her, she retaliates by giving the student a bad grade on assignments where she can be subjective. The principal defends the teacher and does not support the students. I wish the school system was like every business out there where bad employees can simple get fired. During parent-teacher conferences, she has the biggest line of parents waiting to speak with her and none of the parents are happy. She should stick to her true passion of teaching dance and leave teaching academics to teachers who truly are there to teach and inspire kids.

Mattson Middle School 2

Posted May 28, 2013
My daughter attends this school & has learned more about the personal lives of some of her teachers rather than what she is supposed to be learning. She is in the honors program but the quality of education is mediocre. I work with her on the weekends to supplement her learning. After about a month, the school decided to switch some students' schedules because of enrollment numbers & placed them with different teachers. The kids had to figure out what topics & projects they had missed out on through other students and play catch-up in some cases because the teachers offered no support in the transition. Some teachers didn't accept the transferred grades from the equivalent class and gave these students F's for the 1st month of missed projects. Seriously? The school changed these kids' classes and the kids get punished! There are some teachers who love to give out joint assignments which is great for slacker students who do none of the work yet get the same grade as a hardworking student. Oh, and students with social anxiety don't have a chance for an A with some teachers. There is no tolerance for students who have these & other equivalent issues.

Mattson Middle School 4

Posted March 27, 2012
Mattson is a wonder full school with very nice staff members,There are only two things that i think they should improve on... 1) Some students in the school think they are "Gangsters" and disrespects anyone who tells them what to do but all the other children are just charming especialy this child named Brennen hes just a darling a absolutely amayzing child! back on topic now the only other problem the school is the food, its.... very plain..... overall this school is wonderfull.

Posted July 15, 2011
Mattson is an awesome place to be! Mattson has a brand new, dynamic principal, Tammy Unruh, who is implementing some important changes at Mattson to help us better meet the needs of our students and families. We are getting supports in place to meet the needs of our struggling learners while also challenging our more capable learners. Additionally, Mattson is part of the 1:1 laptop initiatve implemented in Kent so all students have the use of laptop computer for school and home. The teachers are dedicated to students, often spending many hours of their personal time to plan and create meaningful lessons and work individually with students when needed. There are a variety of activities to join (other than sports) which help build relationships between teachers and students. We care about educating the entire person--not just in academics but in social skills and interpersonal skills, too--so that they can be successful adults and pave their way for their entrance into high school and beyond.

Posted April 21, 2010

Posted December 13, 2007
I love this school. It may not be the best and it certainly may not seem much if compared to Cedar Heights. But this school has taught me a lot about myself and about the world around me. Yes like I said, it isn't the best but the teachers get involved with fundraising and they also create friendships with many of the students. Some of the students may not like it at Mattson, but thats their decision to not like it. The teachers create fun ways to teach. They use real life examples to help the students understand the lesson. This school may not seem like much, but if you only knew the life lessons I've made. Mattson has taught me things I never knew I would learn. I've made life long friends and possibly enemies. I'll never forget my years at Mattson. I love Mattson. Mattson is the best and I wouldn't trade schools for anything.

Posted June 13, 2007

Posted May 25, 2005
Not recomended, Cedar Heights Has been way beeter for my child, and they help him to his needs.

Posted June 12, 2004

Mattson Middle School
16400 SE 251st, Covington, WA  98042
Last modified Mattson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mattson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top