Kentwood High School

Public | 9-12

Posted October 28, 2013

This school is one of the best schools in the Kent district, and they do a good job with the whole system. what i love about this school the most is the School spirit. Every Friday you always see somebody decked out with green, silver, and black Some things that i don't like about kentwood are some of the teachers and staff, a lot of teachers do a terrible job of teaching. My math class last year had half the students fail. They also rank the students, and if your GPA is not good, you don't get to do the things that more educated kids are able to. There can be some really annoying kids, like kids that swear just cause they think its cool, or kids that just stand in the middle of the hallway. overall, kentwood tries to keep you motivated, and up to date on everything, even though school is harder than it was 14 years ago. (there was no laptops, no junior or senior projects)

Posted September 11, 2013

Kentwood High School should implement a parent-teacher relationship as this forms a solid platform for students to succeed. Big talk sounds good but we all know that actions speak louder. I feel we hold ourselves responsible and forthright in our communication, do what we say we will do, we expect this from our children don't we? Lets communicate effectively and honestly without contradictions and double standards.

Posted March 13, 2012

Good spirit but lack of diversity. some of the students act ignorant/racist and i'm considering transferring. also, the teachers need to improve their teaching. the material they present is not understandable, and this is coming from a 3.9 GPA student.

Posted February 17, 2012

We found Kentwood to be a great and enjoyable experience for our sons. One son took enough AP exams to enter the UW as a sophomore. For the most part, the teachers are caring and very dedicated to their students. The music and drama departments are awesome as are the athletics. It is a well-rounded school which prepares students for the real world.

Posted January 19, 2011

this school is great and it has a tight knit family community, i love it so much.

Posted September 16, 2009

Kentwood makes you feel like you belong no matter what! You fell like you have a family and its just a really great place to be...

Posted August 28, 2009

I love this school!! it is so amazing. it has a kind atmoshphere where i felt extremely welcomed. The students really are friendly to eachother not to mention how amazing our teachers are. They are so great and really are making highschool amazing. The athletics at KW are impecable as well. The coaches are pretty hard core but in the end its so worth it. Being on KW dance is probably the most amazing thing i will ever do. Its great to be alive, its great to be a conk!!!

Posted November 4, 2007

Kentwood High School has an amazingly friendly atmosphere. The students are very welcoming and kind. The teachers are all top class, especially in the AP and Honors divisions. Kentwood extracurriculars are among the best in the state, with amazing sports teams and plenty of clubs to choose from. I am a student, so I do not know the amount of parent involvement. I do know that I am blessed to be able to spend my high school years at Kentwood. I love this school with all my heart, and I actually look forward to going. It is a great environment and you're lucky if you have the pleasure of attending.

Posted August 20, 2007

Kentwood is probably the best school within KSD with possibly some competition with Kentridge. Located near Covington Library and has one of the cleanest tennis courts around. Teachers are incredibly well especially the AP and honors teachers. Plenty of great clubs and diversity. Only factor I would say is possibly the safety (expect this in every high school). The environment around is great.

Posted August 1, 2007

Kentwood is an extraordinary school, the sports programs are unmatched within the distrcit and the state. The teachers are very involved with assisting all youth regardless of anything. NO set backs at this school. Principal is awesome and safety is not an issue here, the school is very much involved in student safety. this is a great school!

Posted November 10, 2006

Kentwood is a great place to receive an education. The sports at Kentwood High School are one of the best. All the sports are extravagant and they CONQUEROR the competition. Quality of academic programs are high, and there is a large variety to choose from. Overall, Kentwood is a positive learning environment and one of the best schools in Washington State.

Posted September 30, 2005

From a senior student: Kentwood HS has exceeded my wildest expectations. Growing up in a world where every experience is commercialized on the television, I was pleased to find that high school isn't as nasty as I feared. The teachers - they genuinely care, and I was easily able to befriend them. Most even have a sense of humor. My favorite teacher of all is perhaps Mr. Harrison, the Orchestra teacher. I've been in Orchestra for 4 years under him, and our music program keeps getting better and better. A year ago we won a Grammy (at HS level) in conjuction with the choir and band. Sports - as Captain of this year's girl's swim team and an avid participant in judo, I can say that sports are awesome. Parent involvement I know less about - but the administrative staff are helpful and can make it happen for you.

Posted August 15, 2005

Great school. Highly educated and caring teachers. There's a wide number of clubs/sports to choose from. Parental involvement is always encouraged and recommended.

Posted March 18, 2004

Kentwood High School offers a welcoming environment to students, staff, and parents alike. The staff is knowledeable, driven, and nuturing. Many of them consistently go above and beyond what is expected of them. The Kentwood PTA comprises a wonderful, hard-working, group of volunteers! They see to it that the kids and staff have many opportunities that would, otherwise, be missed. Kentwood has an excellent sports program and, in fact, the varsity boys basketball team just won the 4A State Championships! The gals in the front office, especially Gina, are friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The counseling office does a wonderful job, especially Mark Owen, and it offers a myriad of helpful information. The same goes for the career center. A wonderful driver's safety course is available and the elective courses, as well as the technical programs, are varied and interesting. My family is proud to be part of the Kentwood Community.

Posted November 9, 2003

Kentwood is a great school for athletes and students who want to go to good colleges post-high school. However, this school lacks of diversity. The teachers are great and do assign a lot of homework but, they will always explain things clearly so homework should be a snap. Teachers at Kentwood are very kind and always willing to help. Overall, Kentwood is a great school, it just need more of a diverse atmosphere.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students33%

Male31%
Low income21%
Not special education35%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

474 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

421 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

458 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

401 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 73%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Doug Hostetter

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

25800 164th Ave SE