Des Moines, WA

Aviation High School 2

Posted June 06, 2014
In this school, many would think RAHS has great teachers and friends over there. However, in my case, not necessarily. I've been hated by one teacher, unbearably, wrongly ignored by this school, and I have little or no friends over there. At the awards ceremony, I was never recognized, not even once when I really deserved to be recognized there. And to add insult to injury, this school made me feel like a homeless man living on their property. Not to offend the teachers, but I was never appreciated for my great attitude towards learning. Why an I being ignored when I shouldn't? It's a simple question. I'm not asking for a detailed, 5-page report! Anyways, dedicated people like me are being ignored here. And for you, just get ready to have your social and mental health impacted very badly at this school. If you can't handle the stress there, then this school is not for you.

Posted February 08, 2014
I'm a student from the class of 2013, and I cannot express how impressed I am with AHS. When I walked in I was a lonely nerd without direction. When I left, I had work experience in the aerospace industry, several large scholarships, admission to my top three colleges and a group of friends I'll never forget. That said, this place requires intense sacrifice and a burning desire to succeed. You'll work absurdly hard, but in the end, it's all worth it.

Posted December 05, 2013
My son is a junior at AHS (now RAHS Raisbeck Aviation High School, after a major benefactor). Awesome school really motivated students, which in turn attracts great teachers. My son felt comfortable there from day one, and it seems like all the students get along really well. It's a school where it's cool to be a geek! The extracurricular activities are challenging and popular, particularly Robotics, Science Olympiad and Debate. PE can be a bit of an issue, though they now have their own Ultimate Frisbee team, which is a fun sport that accommodates all abilities well. Electives are a non-issue plenty of interesting ones to choose between. And their new building is state of the art, directly across the street from the Aviation Museum. I can't believe that this is a free, public school for my son, no school could be better. For others if you're not into math and science, forget it. And being passionate about aviation is a big plus, though not totally required. Reba Gilman should be sainted for overcoming the bureaucratic hurdles of getting this school established, then driving the public-private partnership that's made it the school it is today.

Posted May 19, 2011
A great school for a math and science oriented child. Great kids and challenging curriculum.

Posted May 19, 2011
I have two children who go to this school and it has been a great experience for both. It's a smaller school so the kids really get to know each other and they all get along well. The staff is very involved for the most part. AHS has a great FIRST Robotics team and Science Olympiad team as well. I feel this school does a great job of preparing the students for college. They learn time management, are challenged by their classes and present to groups (student and adult) all the time. The PE credit is an issue for some kids as they aren't able to complete at school. There are more electives now - my kids haven't had a real problem with that. Students who are in band and sports are still able to participate through other schools in the district. They are building a new AHS school building in the near future that will be quite amazing and one of my kids will be able to enjoy that!

Aviation High School 0

Posted February 27, 2010
This school is amazing for anyone who wishes to recieve a outstanding education, i love it because everyone at this school (even teachers) as a want, a need to learn. the staff at AHS is some of the finest men and women i have ever met; amone the great teachers is Dr. Edgerton who is usually 3 to four hours early to school so that students can go to him for any help they need, Dr. Katims who is the one teacher that made me want to be in a english class, if you want help he is always there for you, and Mrs. Cook is a great english teacher as well, she is extremely demanding but if you are in your class it would be impossible not to learn, this school is a great place to go and i recomend it for anyone who has a love for learning.

Aviation High School 0

Posted December 30, 2009
i love attending aviation high school... its an amazing school and i love the fact that we are a small school with only 400 students... i also love the teachers and the programs that are avalible

Posted October 08, 2009
Extraordinarily talented staff and amazing student body. I feel that any student who wants a great education and wants the best preperation for college should go here.We have some extracurricular issues but school buses provide easy transportation to neighboring highschools so you can join sports teams there. I think the only student that would complain about being in this school is one who doesn't try. At this school, you are forced to try and the teachers will make sure that you succeed if you put some effort into it and that's all they ask of you. If you don't do that, then this is not the place to be.

Posted September 09, 2009
This school is a great school, but is still working out some of the 'new school' bugs that affect every new school.

Posted July 01, 2009

Aviation High School
6770 East Marginal Way South, Des Moines, WA  98198
Last modified Aviation High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aviation High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top