Edmonds, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted March 07, 2014
The leadership program is great and the parents are very involved; however I would like to see more of an emphasis on arts as they are just as important as science and math and can be used to compliment those subjects and increase test scores and engage students.

Posted March 06, 2014
I was very impressed with Leadership Day at Serene Lake elementary school! Children showed their leadership skills from kindergarten to 5th grade. You could tell they took ownership of their school, their learning and their behavior and they were extremely proud! This could not have happened without strong leadership, guidance and facilitation from the teachers and principal at Serene Lake. The learning environment at the school is very positive and welcoming. Our hope as educators it to see more schools following the footsteps as Serene Lake elementary school teaching and practicing the 7 Habits school wide. You can not put a price on this learning- life long character skills that will make a difference, not only to individuals but to society as a whole. The world will be a better place. -Parent of 3rd grader at Serene Lake & Director of MIA

Posted March 05, 2014
Our family has been a part of Serene Lake Elementary (SLE) for 5 years. My kids really enjoy the office personnel and support staff (both at school and in the community) . The school atmosphere is positive and there is a well supported "no tolerance" for bullying policy. They have begun to integrate the "Leader In Me" (based on Steven Covey) program into the school culture recently with great success. And the best kept secret....it is one of the smallest (if not the smallest) elementary schools in the district which translates into a community oriented and neighborhood friendly school. I would like to see more after school programs for all ages and programs for the accelerated student at an earlier age.

Serene Lake Elementary School 2

Posted January 30, 2014
Serene lake- We moved to this school 2 1/2 years ago and have had several problems with no resolve from the principal. To start with the positive, the school has a few really good teachers and It is a "bully" free school. Now the negative. Front office staff is unpleasant. Impatient and intolerant school. Unwelcoming atmosphere. I have had several problems with my sons 3rd grade teacher acting rude, belittling, and completely unprofessional at conferences. My children's self esteem has dropped since attending this school. Needless to say we are changing schools.

Posted January 13, 2014
This will be my last year at SL as my 5th grader moves on to OV MS. I have had 3 children move through this school so I feel I know a bit about the school & its staff. The office gals are fantastic w/ the kids. I have witnessed their interactions on numerous occasions & they are absolutely wonderful w/ students. My oldest daughter transferred in 3rd grade & her teacher did a fantastic job acclimating her to new surroundings while catching her up in a completely different math curriculum then she had in the past. My 2nd daughter started at SL in kindergarten & had phenomenal teachers, many of whom have been at SL for 15+ years. My son, being adopted, came to SL the beginning of his 4th grade year. He needed a great deal of nurturing along w/ substantial structure. His teacher, the music & gym teacher, para-educators & office staff all helped keep this boy on track-reprimanding him when he mis-behaved while encouraging him when he did well. Because of their support, he has much more respect for adults & himself. I worked w/ 6 different teachers, numerous para-educators & the office staff with no complaints. All have always been helpful! SL is a gem of a school in my opinion.

Posted May 23, 2013
Serene Lake - The Office Staff is awful. I think the two secretaries up front might be in a competition to see who can be most condescending to parents. The teachers are wonderful and I have loved all of them! Great school for kids, just a bit scary for the parents who must deal with the office staff.

Posted January 28, 2013
Serene Lake is a great school. I have two boys on complete opposite ends of the academic spectrum. One is in the advanced placement program and the other is on a 504 plan for kids needing additional services. I have been an active parent at Serene Lake for 5 years and the best thing about the school is the community. The PTSA, teaching staff and principal all work hard to do the best for our kids.

Serene Lake Elementary School 2

Posted January 17, 2012
Talk about feeling unwelcome! The Office staff, namely the Principal, is well known (just ask any parent who is at the school on a regular basis) for being extremely rude and condescending towards parents as well as for physically pushing and or grabbing a students arm as a way to 'direct' them. I have personally witnessed this myself. Take your child down the road to Picnic Point Elementary, where the staff is held to a higher standard.

Posted April 17, 2011
My kids are doing great! They have a great reading program with tons of incentives. The PTA is strong and so is the leadership and staff of the school. I am very pleased to be part of this community and school.

Posted March 20, 2008

Serene Lake Elementary School
4709 Picnic Point Rd, Edmonds, WA  98026
Last modified Serene Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Serene Lake Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top