Bad
Good

There must be a greater importance placed on art and music as well as science. School def should be based more on other programs other than math and reading only. I find it so sad schools are focused on two subjects only and do not stress creativity more. Everything w this school is very "text book" oriented and there is no pushing for individualism. Common core to thank for that one? Sad. On top of a terrible curriculum so tunnel visioned, the office staff is terrible In being so stiff and not seeming to or wanting to understand the parent. When talking w the office staff, they do not seem to disrespect the parent and only talk down. I have seen their way of taking care of children acting out and they scoop the child up by the arms then drag the child to the office, then when inside the office, the child is forced to sit and not talked to. How is this suppose to. help better the child? I have seen the same child over and over. Ignoring the child doesnt help the child understand what they did wrong. There you have it...I understand lower income/older neighborhood, but it shouldnt constitute a lower standard of learning. Provide for our kids, let them explore and have fun and reach out w open arms in accepting their individual self. ..public schools are not good. This school is lower than basic in what I was expecting for the Mukilteo school district.

My child has attended since kindergarten we love it! Great staff and a fun school filled with great resources for family's!

The leadership program is great and the parents are very involved; however I would like to see more of an emphasis on arts as they are just as important as science and math and can be used to compliment those subjects and increase test scores and engage students.

I was very impressed with Leadership Day at Serene Lake elementary school! Children showed their leadership skills from kindergarten to 5th grade. You could tell they took ownership of their school, their learning and their behavior and they were extremely proud! This could not have happened without strong leadership, guidance and facilitation from the teachers and principal at Serene Lake. The learning environment at the school is very positive and welcoming. Our hope as educators it to see more schools following the footsteps as Serene Lake elementary school teaching and practicing the 7 Habits school wide. You can not put a price on this learning- life long character skills that will make a difference, not only to individuals but to society as a whole. The world will be a better place. -Parent of 3rd grader at Serene Lake & Director of MIA

Our family has been a part of Serene Lake Elementary (SLE) for 5 years. My kids really enjoy the office personnel and support staff (both at school and in the community) . The school atmosphere is positive and there is a well supported "no tolerance" for bullying policy. They have begun to integrate the "Leader In Me" (based on Steven Covey) program into the school culture recently with great success. And the best kept secret....it is one of the smallest (if not the smallest) elementary schools in the district which translates into a community oriented and neighborhood friendly school. I would like to see more after school programs for all ages and programs for the accelerated student at an earlier age.

Serene lake- We moved to this school 2 1/2 years ago and have had several problems with no resolve from the principal. To start with the positive, the school has a few really good teachers and It is a "bully" free school. Now the negative. Front office staff is unpleasant. Impatient and intolerant school. Unwelcoming atmosphere. I have had several problems with my sons 3rd grade teacher acting rude, belittling, and completely unprofessional at conferences. My children's self esteem has dropped since attending this school. Needless to say we are changing schools.

This will be my last year at SL as my 5th grader moves on to OV MS. I have had 3 children move through this school so I feel I know a bit about the school & its staff. The office gals are fantastic w/ the kids. I have witnessed their interactions on numerous occasions & they are absolutely wonderful w/ students. My oldest daughter transferred in 3rd grade & her teacher did a fantastic job acclimating her to new surroundings while catching her up in a completely different math curriculum then she had in the past. My 2nd daughter started at SL in kindergarten & had phenomenal teachers, many of whom have been at SL for 15+ years. My son, being adopted, came to SL the beginning of his 4th grade year. He needed a great deal of nurturing along w/ substantial structure. His teacher, the music & gym teacher, para-educators & office staff all helped keep this boy on track-reprimanding him when he mis-behaved while encouraging him when he did well. Because of their support, he has much more respect for adults & himself. I worked w/ 6 different teachers, numerous para-educators & the office staff with no complaints. All have always been helpful! SL is a gem of a school in my opinion.

Serene Lake - The Office Staff is awful. I think the two secretaries up front might be in a competition to see who can be most condescending to parents. The teachers are wonderful and I have loved all of them! Great school for kids, just a bit scary for the parents who must deal with the office staff.

Serene Lake is a great school. I have two boys on complete opposite ends of the academic spectrum. One is in the advanced placement program and the other is on a 504 plan for kids needing additional services. I have been an active parent at Serene Lake for 5 years and the best thing about the school is the community. The PTSA, teaching staff and principal all work hard to do the best for our kids.

Talk about feeling unwelcome! The Office staff, namely the Principal, is well known (just ask any parent who is at the school on a regular basis) for being extremely rude and condescending towards parents as well as for physically pushing and or grabbing a students arm as a way to 'direct' them. I have personally witnessed this myself. Take your child down the road to Picnic Point Elementary, where the staff is held to a higher standard.

Last modified Serene Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.