Edmonds, WA

Posted March 24, 2015
Excellent School! Great children! Super parent support! Wonderful staff! Can't go wrong with this school!

Maplewood Parent Coop 4

Posted November 23, 2014
I love it except it gets annoying when you are there for over 3 years because you know everyone and sometimes those people don't like you or they are not like you.

Posted January 21, 2014
We are a family of the past 4 years at MW. Our experience thus far has been extremely positive. Our kids are either right on target or exceeding for their grade overall. The interaction with students, parents, and teachers is great. Support staff for kids who have additional needs is excellent, and all staff & admin. have open lines of communication with parents and each other. The work is fun, engaging, and challenging. Extra curriculars are improving. I've not found many issues with bullying. I know that the issue was addressed head on, and was emphasized last year with the school inviting Rachel's Challenge in-house. I've seen a difference in how older kids are treating each other, and teaching the younger kids. There do seem to be parental "cliques" that may spill over to the students, with gossiping and such,but it seems those groups gravitate toward each other in any social setting (church, work, etc.) and since so many parents work together here, it happens here too. I've noticed that there is a economic divide. I'm in the lower earning end, but I've not seen it paraded around in my face. They strive to make things fair for all students, affording opportunities to all.

Posted July 14, 2010
I just read one of the most upsetting reviews. I feel for this former student. And hope that other parents read this and understand that they should communicate with their own child about their education. From our experience, teachers only push the children to accomplish things that they are capable of doing. As a former teacher, it makes me sad to hear that a student did not learn to deal with issues while in the midst of problems. Please learn from your past and be a major part of your child(ren)'s lives.

Posted May 18, 2010
As an educator in the Edmonds school district I feel lucky to have my children at Maplewood. My children are working above grade level academically. The teachers are dedicated and yes, they do push students to achieve what they are fully capable of. Isn't that what we want for our children? As for sports, the physical education teachers are extremely dedicated and spend much of their personal time working to help students be physically fit. Any programs not available here are easily found through rec programs or elsewhere. As for social issues, they are at all schools. The children here are polite and respectful. Yes, there are sometimes issues, but there always are with people who spend this much time together (even adults). These issues teach our children how to deal with real life situations. The parking lot gossip is a problem but you don't have to join in.

Maplewood Parent Coop

Posted May 18, 2010
The teachers, the parental involvement, the art, Modd Squad, the facility, the community. The kids get a great educations BUT parents need to be involved in all aspects. It's not for everyone but I feel fortunate to be there.

Maplewood Parent Coop 1

Posted March 15, 2010
As parents, you obviously want your kid to get the best educational experience out there. Maplewood, in that case, would be it. Now, if you want your kid to get the best educational, and social experience, that would not be it. The kids at this school usually are very 'stuck up', and high class. Which always leads to bullying, cliques, everything. The teachers push way too hard, which can be understandable, but they go over the line with it. I had more homework in my elementary years at that school, then all 4 years of high school. Although the kids would come off to be more mature, it's not true, they are too sheltered at this school. Over-all, I wouldn't put any of my kids in this school. It was a horrible experience for myself, and I really wish that my parents had put me into a public elementary school.

Posted March 11, 2010
In any school, you will find what you look for. I have served at this school for 15 years and through 6 children. It can be alot of work but it is worth it. It is a very caring atmosphere, and every teacher is wonderful. Bacause there is so much parent involvement, there are few discipline problems, leaving the teachers free to teach. the support of programs is wonderful and the education is great. I am so glad my children had the opportunity to learn here. They are prepared academically and , in sportsmanship. The diversity they get with Maplewood Center is good as well.

Maplewood Parent Coop 1

Posted January 28, 2010
This school really is a sinking boat. I experienced quite a few problems that the principal didn't handle very well. She doesn't care about students safety and bullies.

Maplewood Parent Coop 2

Posted January 27, 2010
I agree that this school is a sinking boat. The principal is superficial and weak and certain staff should have a backbone and do/say what is right. When issues arise this school gets flustered and this is causing this school to sink. Certain changes in staff would help this school.

Maplewood Parent Coop
8500 200th St SW, Edmonds, WA  98026
Last modified Maplewood Parent Coop is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maplewood Parent Coop Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top