Edmonds, WA
Students enrolled: 1,611

Edmonds Woodway High School 3

Posted February 05, 2014
We have had luck with about 75% of the teachers being caring, enforcing assignment due dates, answering parent emails, offering resources if a child is struggling. We have had a few that are shoulder shrugging types, not interested but not terrible, and a couple that just full out ignore the emails, don't answer student's questions, etc. I do not like that the Principal will only let seniors change classes for the most part, we have been able to get a couple changed because of our IEP and medical issues, but that process needs to be made a whole lot better.

Posted August 10, 2013
EWHS is truly a gem. The new principal is one of the best I've ever encountered: She is a real communicator, she has a clear vision for the school that includes EVERY part of the school-wide community, and she has earned the respect of her peers and teachers. Much is made of EWHS's IB program, and it really is one of the best in the area. Students are focused on the work, and the payoff is real, as more EW students attend top schools (Stanford, Yale, MIT) than at any other Edmonds high school. The Deaf community and the Music community are also very large "players" at EWHS, as are the sports teams. I'm particularly impressed by parent involvement, which has grown since my first child went through the building. Core academics are very strong, but - unlike previous comment writers - I recognize that has as much to do with teachers as parents. The staff are NOT your child's parents, and all too often the community looks at a struggling student and expects teachers to fix problems at home. Sorry - not their primary job. The college attendance rate here is as impressive as any school should be. Kids are finding success at EW, and then moving on to success in life.

Edmonds Woodway High School 4

Posted May 22, 2013
As a Full IB Diploma Candidate, I really enjoy the program despite the exhaustion. Like many people have said, EWHS is very IB oriented and unfortunately that is the main focus so students in "regular" classes get pushed aside. I can't speak much for the regular classes though since I have never taken one, but that is the impression that I get. I must admit, ASB is also a huge focus and a narrowly exclusive group. I'm in the Chamber Orchestra and Mello-Aires (jazz choir) so I've got a load of about 9 classes total because of TOK in addition to being president of a club, tutoring, having two jobs, and I still get to bed by 11pm on average. Many IB students complain about the amount of work and stress, but in my perspective, it's all an exaggeration. We all just like to complain and vent about it, but in reality, it isn't actually that bad. Students who stay up past 11 only do so because they are either intensely involved in extracurriculars or they PROCRASTINATE. It's all about time management. Many students seem to dislike the new principal but those are students who haven't actually spoken to her. The IB teachers are also great if the student is willing to pay attention in class.

Edmonds Woodway High School 1

Posted December 18, 2012
I would advise people that live in Edmonds but do not work there but the East side or elsewhere you have a short time to react to any of your child issue, problems are given in short notice not allowing a parent commute times to address high school rumor mills. In short take a bus or train to work they will not schedule a meeting beyond right now and at best rushed call to your cell or work number. I never had a chance to talk to my child without a school official about what he was accused of to go back and ask questions go back and then talk the matter over. I m very under impressed over rumor high school rumor mill winning over correct adult reaction.

Posted June 27, 2011
This rating is about EWHS s principal and assistant principals and their interpersonal communication skills resolving conflict. My family needed the help of the management team at Edmonds Woodway High School several times this last year to help us work through my daughters academic-related problems, brought on by personal hardship at home. They maintained a high level of integrity and responsibility at every level of communications each time I contacted them, even though I am sure I inadvertently tested their patience many times. The bulk of my daughters' teachers were also exceptional in how they helped me help my daughters, and how they went out of their way to help them directly. I don't believe you would find this level of integrity at many schools. But it is clearly engrained in the hearts of the teachers and staff at Edmonds Woodway, starting with Principal Michelle Michelle Trifunovic, Assistant Principal Geoff Bennett, and Assistant Principal Robert Johnson. Thank you for caring.

Edmonds Woodway High School 2

Posted June 15, 2011
We just moved here from out of state and very quickly we noticed how short the actual school day is-- only 3 classes per day. Not shortly after the first month of attending this school our son started ditching school and basically creating his own show up time to classes each day. We did everything in our power to get him to school evreyday, but he insisted that the teachers, principle, and even the DEAN would do nothing to curb his behavior. After more than 15 days unexcused absences and umpteen tardies and running a 1.5 GPA he gets 2 detentions. Call me the bad guy, but I was wanting some kind of support for a hard-headed teen. I want to get my son back on track and this school let me down...

Posted February 23, 2011
Many people try and criticize the regular academics at EWHS, and it seems most of these people are IB dropouts. The standard academics at Edmonds-Woodway are far above average, especially in the English department. I came into college with far better skills in almost every department compared to other students. The music department at EWHS is amazing, one of the best in the state, and sports are a highlight too. People can group into cliques quite a bit, but if you find the right group, you can make a lot of lifelong friends. My experience at Edmonds-Woodway was far more positive than college has been.

Posted February 10, 2010

Edmonds Woodway High School 4

Posted July 17, 2009
EWHS is a really fun school. It has more clubs than any other school in the district, a great music program, lots of successful sports teams, and of course, the IB program. As an 'IB kid', I have to admit that the focus of the school, as other people said, is mainly on the IB program and the regular students are kind of pushed aside a lot of the time. However, EWHS is a great school if you are enrolled in IB. The teachers (well, most of them) are really great and the classes are challenging. Overall I think Edmonds-Woodway is a very good school.

Edmonds Woodway High School 1

Posted April 21, 2009

Edmonds Woodway High School
7600 212th St SW, Edmonds, WA  98026
Last modified Edmonds Woodway High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edmonds Woodway High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top