Bad
Good

I have had an amazing year at Morgan. I loved all my teachers and they all were very understanding.

Our family moved to Ellensburg a few years ago, we found they were under challenged, and unmotivated by the teachers to learn even the base line curriculum. I find the teachers to be lazy with assignments and lack communication with students and parents. The "Family Nights" they host are a joke out of 725 students they are lucky to have 20-30 families show up, now what dose that say to the relationship between the families and the staff? Don't get me started on children with special needs, the support for these kids is just embarrassing to the district. But its the ONLY public school Ellensburg has so what is a mother to do?

Morgan is not a bad school. In fact, they are the first school that has a program for really smart kids that does some good--they created an advanced math curriculum for 7th and 8th graders to get HS credit. Sure there are financial issues that make teaching more difficult, but the teachers and administration are primarily interested in teaching the kids, not the political mess that is the school board. If you have been to Eburg, you might notice that the high school is new and one elementary school is new, but no one is concerned for the middle grades. A shame. The real problem rests with a community that doesn't value the education of its youth, growth or progress. Nice town, wrong priorities.

I am currently watching my 2nd child struggle through Morgan Middle School. The principal is sadly too busy dealing with personal medical issues to do much. She only shows up to large events to look like she is involved. Meanwhile all the other administrative staff is up at the 8th grade campus of the High School doing an equally poor job there. Morgan teachers are impatient and rude, staff is unhelpful and only there for a paycheck. Everyone there knows there is no other option for middle school in Ellensburg and they do the bare minimum. Yes the school is old, but Lincoln Elementary School is also old as is Mt. Stuart and the teachers and principal there are wonderful and the kids learn just fine. They are both making improvement. The middle school teachers are bitter that the community won't approve a new school, and sadly they are making our children suffer for it. It is a horrible atmosphere and very sad. Parents try to be involved but get turned away right from the start. I personally think they don't want parents in the classroom because they would have to treat the kids better and actually do their jobs. So very frustrating as a parent!

This is my daughters second year attending Morgan Middle School. During the two years she has attended she has been denied lunch three times! Two times when she had FREE lunch, once when she had reduced lunch! In attempting to get this resolved so my daughter won't be missing out on any further lunches, I have been met with nothing but indifference, defensiveness, and difficulty from the staff including the Principal and the Food Services Director. Their preference is to blame my daughter when it was clearly their fault she was DENIED her lunch. They take no responsibility. In particular there is an air of superiority and arrogance from staff towards parents with concerns. There is no way to get a fair and honest evaluation over anything at this school. I am headed to the Superintendent, and I do hope that he is above this whole superiority complex towards parents attitude you find among the everyday staff members and the principal at this school. This should be a district willing to work with the parents, one valuing their feedback and opinions, working together to solve problems like this. I am just at a loss for now. I hope to get better results with Superintendent.

Morgan Middle School is probably THE worst school in the Ellensburg District, hands down. WHile there is a new principal in the last two years, who has made some improvements, the quality of learning for students is below poor. This school is old, outdated and a horrible learning environment. The majority of the staff are stuck in their ways and just there to do a "job"... Our experience so far has been for two years, and I have nothing good to say about all but 2 staff members we have dealt with. Our child has failed to meet any grade level expectations. Teachers have not shown us that they care. Zero teacher feedback, except at report card time. The school has a cold and criminal feel about it, with a police officer stationed there year round. Parents are actually DISCOURAGED to volunteer at the school and in classrooms. If we had other options, we would pull our kids in a second.

I'm only a grandparent of a Morgan student, but I've been a school board member, member of a citizen's advisory group, and very active in my children's schools. Now I am hearing things about Morgan that force me to investigate what kind of education my grandchild is receiving. Lack of parental involvement and a few disinterested teachers seems to be dragging this school down. Is the principal aware of his school's problems and is the principal taking action to resolve those problems? Parents need to ask these questions and demand answers. These problems are basic. Morgan's WASL rankings are too low. Some of this may be due to teaching failures at the elementary level. If Morgan fails to answer the needs of these students now, what becomes of them in high school and college? Time for parents to become active and for teachers and the principal to do their jobs.

Last modified Morgan Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.