Voyager Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 816 students

Posted April 16, 2014

This is an atrosity of a place to have a child. Bullying is out of control and nothing is being done! My neice comes home in tears everyday and nothing can be done for fear of retaliation against her. I guess the next step is district and school board. Students shouldn't be forced to transfer because of ignorance and lack of integrity.

Posted November 18, 2013

While the school has many after school programs to keep kids occupied, the general student population is out of control with aggression and misbehavior. The steps program is clearly not working. My child has been spit on, kicked and punched. After reporting these issues,nothing is done because the "accused" student gets to tell their side of the story (like they're going to admit it). The teachers are very open to communications and really do seem to try but the kids are beyond control. The administration seems to be doing the right things with many antibullying speakers and confronting trends like cyberbullying yet my child is in tears having to go there. Considering an out of district transfer.

Posted November 17, 2013

Listen people I've been going to voyager for 3 months now and this is my first year and I think voyager is awesome the only bad part is the step program I mean seriously your sitting or standing in front of a wall for a few seconds or minutes it's just stupid but other than that it is really great you get to go to boing for the field trip imagine having peeza every day for lunch

Posted October 31, 2011

Excellent! Great teachers, administration, and "fun" activities for the kids (dances, spirit days, celebrations) that make school enjoyable! My kids loved it here!

Posted August 30, 2011

You may find my review biased because, first off, I'm going to point out that I went to this school for the three years of it, 6th, 7th, and 8th but I'm gonna point out some problems (and give praise) anyways. There are amazing teachers here who teach with an enthusiasm, dedication, professionalism, and in the even better cases, humor, who make students want to learn and have fun while doing it. However, there is a flip side to every coin and in this case it's the many problems with how the school runs. I'm not going to deny the so-called innovative "steps" system has helped them with especially problem kids, however, a teacher will (and usually gladly) send a student to "step 1" even if they did nothing, but the teacher just THINKS they did. There is no respect, whatsoever, for students in this process. And often a whole class would be treated horribly for the irresponsible actions of only a small part of the class, in many cases only one student. Unfortunately, I can't fit my whole critique of the school inside this (word limit) but there are many points (some good, a lot bad) that I didn't touch on. In conclusion, you may want to think twice about sending your student here.

Posted August 8, 2011

My son attended Voyager from the 6th grade to the 8th grade. The teachers go the extra mile in order to meet my schedule (stay late or come in early). I could always get a hold of the staff via email if I had a question and receive a prompt answer. The principal and vice principal eat lunch with the students and try to engage them in conversation on current topics. I did not have a problem with the STEPS program as my son followed the rules and was never put on steps. Voyager was not his home school; I submitted a variance in order for him to attend because I was impressed by the staff and administration.

Posted February 11, 2011

This school is nothing more than a joke. STEPS is incredibly pointless! I've been going here for 3 years, this is my 8th grade year. The teachers are HORRIBLE. They treat us as if we are delinquets! They don't give us a chance to even do wrong in their eyes before they start threatening us with a STEP 4... I got one for throwing ERASER SHAVINGS. AT THE GROUND!! I seriously think this "school" should be torn down. STEPS doesn't exactly teach us that out behavior was wrong. In any OTHER schools are there kids expelled, arrested and suspended as much as there are at Voyager? When I told my friend (they go to Olympic View) about the boy that LIT THE DUMPSTER ON FIRE, she told me that NO ONE would do that at Olympic View because they have a better disciplinary system. I would much rather have detention than STEPS. I really do hope someone of importance in the district reads this and abolishes this detention center.

Posted September 20, 2010

If I could give negative stars, I would. Our son started at Voyager Middle School for 6th grade on Sept. 1 and said it was the worst day ever at school. The school touts the 'STEPS' program for discipline, however that program is missing the letter 'R'; for 'RESPECT' of Students. How does this school expect to gain respect of their students, or even teach students to respect others using 'STEPS'. How does placing a child on a chair to stare at a wall because on the first day of school he answered a question of another student while they were playing a game in the classroom? I would highly recommend every parent question STEPS. Discipline can be accomplished respectfully.Thankfully we moved our son to another school.

Posted June 4, 2010

If I could give this school no stars I would. From some of the other reviews SPELLING isn't something they teach very well there. Many other things bad about this school though. STEPS is horrible, if you want to teach them about discipline at least be consistent about what they are in trouble for, steps is more of a distraction than a help. Somebody saying sorry for bumping into another student shouldn't be a reason to be placed on steps. And allowing someone (Mrs. A) who isn't even a teacher to determine so much of what goes on in the class just doesn't seem correct. This school only seems to care about the funding they get for each student attending there. They have cut just about all extra activities, and what they haven't cut they expect the students to pay for. What is HONORS class... a joke. Only some deserve better?

Posted March 3, 2010

My child is finishing his first year at this school and i'm already planning my move back to the Everett school district .. while i'm sure STEPS works for most students it should not be applies to special needs children

Posted May 12, 2009

This is the best middle school i have ever been! Especially because of the step program, without it the school would've been the same junky mest-up school as before. But it's not any more, the staff in there are extremely friendly and helpful. You should all send your kids their for a better and safer education.

Posted April 30, 2009

I atended Voyager for 2 years. And i thought it was horrible. Most of the teachers were friendly. But the thing that was most horrible was the steps. Starring at the wall for about 5-10 minutes does not help you and your desicions at all. All you do is miss some of the class. And then you have to make you the work.

Posted March 29, 2008

I have been attending Voyager for three full years now and most of the teachers and staff there are friendly. Your always welcome there with many warm greetings. I also love how they have many after school clubs like homework room, diversity club, and tech reach. I like having the STEP program because it is better than having detention. I also think that how the classess are split up into teams is genius and very unique. Plus the school looks brand new and when i first saw it i thought it would be a rich type of school also.

Posted July 14, 2007

I think this is a good school. The principal and staff are great! My child has done very well here.

Posted July 5, 2007

I am a a student from Voyager and I have been attending this school for two years now. Overall, I think that this school has a great dicipline program that allows students to make their own choice whether to behave or not; those that chose to not behave are abviously punished by STEPS or another appropriate dicipline method. The school is not to blame for a child's behaivor. The teachers at this school at absolutely amazing! Especially Mrs. Lapinski, Mrs. Larson, Mr. Hanson, and Mrs. Titus. They know how to educate the pupils while still allowing them to have a great time. I, personally, have learned so many various things from the teachers in our school.

Posted June 28, 2007

I continue to be impressed by the students and staff at this school. The Principal is excellent and really cares not only about the students who attend Voyager but the community as well. The band teacher is also excellent!! I feel very lucky to have my child at this school!

Posted June 10, 2007

I think the principal and staff do an excellent job in this school. The make your day program works very well for my daughter. To us, steps are not at all scary. A school with no discipline method that is school wide is chaos. I very much appreciate everything at this school. By the way if you dont like something about what is going on at your childs school...get involved and try to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem...Thanks Voyager!

Posted October 24, 2006

My daughter is doing quite well at Voyager. No problems with teachers or lack of discipline, inner school violence, etc... I have read the other responses to Voyager and other schools in the area - I'd just like to add... Our children are the direct result of the parents and their actions & reactions. No. I think Mukilteo S.D. is doing a great job.

Posted October 23, 2006

I am a student at Voyager Middle School. I am in Honors. The teachers I have absolutely rock. But, our school has the STEP program. It is really harsh. We choose steps for talking. We have to go in the back of the room and sit and think about what we have done. While the Step Program is off the plate, the athletics are awesome. Mrs. Phillipson; The Choir Teacher is absolutely amazing. Parental Involvement is very high here. Everybody helps. One bad thing though is that there is only 6th Grade Intermurals. We dont get to compete. But other than that, my fellow students are really nice and the teachers rock. Our area is unsafe but our teachers make us feel safe and protected.

Posted October 3, 2006

This school has been a dreadful experience for us. Right off the bat they cram the 'Make Your Day' program down the kids throats, it literally takes up the entire first two days! My child has always been an excellent student until arriving at Voyager. Being treated as though all of the kids are little delinquents, before they even have the chance to do anything wrong, did not encourage him in the least or make him feel obligated to please his teachers. We may sell our house just to make sure our other two don't have to attend this school. Parents beware!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

279 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students42%

Not low income68%
Not special education57%
Limited English7%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

All Students100%

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 75%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11711 4th Ave West