Bad
Good

great school, i cant rly think of anything bad but steps

I went to this school from 2006 to 2008. There was a punishment called 'steps', I don't know if it's still being used. Basically, if a student misbehaves, they are sent to "step one" - sitting in a chair against the wall, not allowed to touch anything. If the student continues to misbehave (or dares to TOUCH THE WALL), they are sent to "step two", which is the same as "step one", only standing. If misbehavior continues, they will be sent to "step three", same as "step two", except now they're staring at an incredibly hypocritical sign which reads "No one has the right to interfere with the learning, safety or well-being of others," as if that will teach them anything. Getting sent to "steps" could be triggered by pretty much anything, including asking questions at the wrong moment, implying that your teacher is not perfect, or your teacher mis-hearing one of your words as a curse in a sentence where it wouldn't even make sense to use that particular curse in that particular context. I should also mention the social skills teachers. They talk down to their students and treat them like idiots, because "kids are like little robots you can program however you want".

I am a Summit student at Explorer Middle School, and I have to say: the teachers are amazing! There isn't really a bullying issue with the Summit students. At least, not anymore. I like the fact that the school is diverse, and I like how the Summit program expands your horizons by pushing you a bit harder. At first, I was quite nervous. A few days later, though, I had made a bunch of friends! The Summit program truly is a unique experience. There are two security officers assigned to the school. Overall, Explorer is a great school to be in, and has amazing staff.

I was a summit student who attended EX from 2011-2013. It was an amazing experience for me. Everyone is very nice and accepted me right away, and there were virtually no real bullies or threats. At first, I thought i would get bullied constantly, but I was very wrong. I was adequately challenged in my classes, and never felt overwhelmed with work. I also liked the sports program that they have. The coaches are very supportive and really helped me grow as an athlete. Even though it is located in a bad neighborhood, I felt safe. There are a couple of police officers assigned to Explorer, and they are very friendly. Explorer even created a community garden this year that everyone could be involved in. Overall, Explorer has a good atmosphere and is a good school in general.

I myself was a student at Explorer Middle School. In the Summit Program, I was constantly bullied. Thiis school is very unsafe and dangerous, especcially for students such as myself.

i was a summit student for a year and have now transfered due to many issues. i probably spent more time in the counselers office crying than i did in class. belive me, i was in choir, which was the only great part of my day. my recomendation is to bypass this school, the summit program may be situated there, but only because their is extra space in the buildings. the programs at other schools have made me feel more involed and included and transfering has to be the best thing i could have possibly done.

The school is about average , it has a good honors & summit classes , but sadly the regular classes don't truly challenge the kids or the teachers don't as much try to push these kids . I'm a student at Explorer and I have regular classes and I barley feel challenged . I don't know if I'm just supposed to be in honor classes or the teachers just don't care for us kids in the regular classes .

I had a child at Explorer who was constantly bullied and harrassed by other students, and it didn't seem like the staff did anything about it. They do have an "anti-harrassment policy" but it doesn't seem like it's enforced. We had to make the choice to transfer out.

Ok i went to explorer middle school from 2006-2008 everyone i think the ems is a great school the academics are fine and you all need to stop talking about Mr. flotlin he was actually really great i knew him for all you who didn't know him and are judging him get off it! this is a great school fillled with many memories

Explorer Middle Schhol has it's good points and bad, as most schools do. It is located in a bad neighborhood that has been, in the past, crawling with crime. The police have teamed up to try to change that. There is now an officer assigned to the school. Overall, the teschers and staff have been great to both my children. There's a parent liason that is constant contact with parents. Just a great school!

Last modified Explorer Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.