Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

The teachers and staff at Discovery Elementary are amazing. They have created a warm and inviting learning environment. They make an effort to reach each child. They have extra programs to keep the kids safe and make sure they receive supplementary resources. A lot of the students need to arrive to school early, because of this the music teacher offers a morning music program where the kids practice and eventually put on a musical play. A fifth grade teacher offers tutoring in the library before school. They really go our of their way for the students. My children have thrived at Discovery. We are so happy to be there.

I LOVE Discovery. It is in a bad part of town, but it is not a bad school. The teachers are innovative, dedicated, and caring. The staff is welcoming and helpful. My kids have flourished here. They love school, and we have never had any regrets about having our kids attend this wonderful school. I wish I could attend there too. :) The PTO is thoughtful and careful about how best to help the school and the students. I wish there was more involvement with the PTO...I guess that is part of the challenge of the area. There are a lot of parents who probably just aren't fluent enough with the language and culture to feel comfortable participating?? But the PTO members who are involved are really keeping the kids' best interest in mind and seeking to improve their experiences in life and in school.

Love the teachers my kids have had at this school! Fun activities and a nice garden the kids get to help with. Down side to this school is the area, it's pretty run down and a lot of sketchy looking characters around. Nice principal but going into the office is the worst. Rude and grouchy! Not a very friendly welcome when you need help or have a question. Seems like they are more interested in trash talking families than helping them. Also would be nice to see Hispanic speaking people working in the office since there are so many Spanish speaking families in this community.

Develops character: Agree

Good guidance from the teachers! My kids have always gotten good advice from their teachers on how to handle tough situations and also have kept me informed.

My girls have been going to this school since kindergarten, yes there had been a problem with lice, but that doesn't reflect on the school, that is a problem from home. Children come to school from home and bring it to the kids at school. It's our responsibility as parents to make sure or children are bug free, and that we clean and retreat all our kids. The staff is very nice and caring. I have had the opportunity to see my girls expand their knowledge and it's the care of the teachers that take the time to help and teach our children. They are fantastic. I especially love Mrs Oleson, Mrs Bennett, Ms Cochran, Mr Collins, Mrs Leren and Mrs Friedrichsen. Thanks to all you wonderful teachers..

Great staff, the PTA puts on great events for the kids and families. Parent involvement is key, some parents want to sit back and complain that it's ghetto, good parents get involved and work with the school to make it a second home for their child. My daughter has grown so much.

Hi everybody , my son studies here second year ( 1&2 grade) . I unlike these school. Here like at ghetto. My son brings a letter from the school about "a case of head lice has been identified in his classroom"(((. This is the second letter in the last 2 weeks. It happens in the 21st century! what's happening here??? Is it a school or a homeless shelter? where the director is looking???their advice to solve the problem - visit helpful websites, and I advise to the Director - clean up the school. I will have to find another school for my son, and it will be very uncomfortable for me!!! But I do not see another way.

I simply don't like the area in which the school my son is going to. And when I am finished furthering my education in DC I will be moving him from that ghetto school and area.

Both of my kids go to Discovery. My son is in his kindergarten year and my daughter is in her final year with this wonerful scool. The teacher and staff show them love and caring daily and make sure all the kids are welcomed allways. I feel welcome as a parent everytime I come into the school and I a am allways happy with my kids grades. they show just how great the scool is. my daughter wants to be a teacher because she has been so inspired by the teachers she has had here.

Good PTA and great 3rd grade teacher Mr. McCullough! he has very good rapport with kids, They always say that time goes fast and they are never tired!

Last modified Discovery Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.