Bad
Good

I was a bit concerned about this school based on the rating it received on this site. My son started Kindergarten this year and I was upset that he would be going to a school with such low marks. But after the first few months I realized that the curriculum is wonderful and the scores on this site reflect the population as a whole. And with the majority of the school speaking English as a second language that understandable reduces the overall grades the school gets. My son had a phenomenal teacher whom he adores and I am actually very excited for the fall and how his education will be expanded with an entire day's instruction!

Do you guys can please put a link to the message that is going to be sent back by email?

First year with a child at this school and at first i was worried, but now i'm more aware...my child's teacher is wonderful but could really use help in class with troubled kids its alot of stress for her. very few parents help out and the head pta members are very disorganized at meetings...some administration still seems to be learning but when problems arise they really deal with it i think the best is yet to come from this school, :)

Horizon Elementary has had it's ups and downs and lately it seems more downs. Parent involvement is very low, and part of that is due to the group of PTA parents that run everything. They have done it so long that they seem uncaring and unmotivated. The staff has been changing so much in the last few years that it seems all the wonderful teachers who made Horizon a great school are all gone now and the atmosphere is lacking excitement and encouragement. The school needs a make-over in the PTA most definately and more involvement within the community in general.

I am very disappointed in Horizon Elementary, I am a parent that can not understand why the lack in sports! Yes they handout the fliers for community sports. In which you must then pay for if you want your kids involved! They are not very involved with the kids in the community at all! The teachers are divided, half are friendly and upbeat. The other half are rude and intimidating! I am sure you can only imagine what a child must feel like! My encounter with the principal wasn't much better. I wasn't even meaning on meeting the principal on my drop in at the front office, It wasn't pleasant.

I have children attending Horizon. The teachers, principal and staff are all wonderful and very involved with the kids. Kids get extra help if they need it. Parent involvement seems somewhat low but it is up to parents to get involved. The PTA does a super job of putting on extracurricular activities. Math night had a huge turn out and was super fun and informative. The principal knows many of the kids by their first names. Horizon is a friendly school and it's principal, teachers, office staff and volunteers are very knowledgeable. I'm glad my kids are going to Horizon.

I have two children attending Horizon. Luckily both of my children have GREAT teachers who have made an effort into students who are excelling by providing them with a more challenging curriculum. It is my understanding that resources are available for children who need additional help; however, what about the children who are doing extremely well...what resources are made available for them??? You would think the school would want to also invest in these children especially since it promotes improved WASL scores. We are very active with our children and their academics. I feel the school should also be supporting programs to challenge ALL children as well as help them excel and keep motivated. As for school activities, I don't know if things would be any different if they offered some on evenings other than Thursdays. My children are involved in other activities, so Thursdays aren't good for our family.

My child goes to Horizon and this is the first year I have had a teacher that has kept the parents aware of what the kids were learning in the classroom. Parent involvement is very very low. The school puts on some activities and when they do they don't get a lot of turn out from the families. We go to a a lot and we see the same families involved. I have nieces and nephews in other school districts and they are learning more interesting things and excelling farther. The principal is not that friendly either.

My son has been going to this school for 3 years. There are no challenge courses only courses for those who are behind. The PTA this year is the worst since we have been here. I feel my son is not being challenged. His teacher this year is really good but does not have the resources she needs to provide challenging material.

Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.