Bad
Good

Love the principal and the administrative!! They really go an extra mile for the parent when we don't expect it.

Such a great place for kids! Great teachers and staff. Principal is fantastic. 5 stars.

My first child attended Emerson last yr (2014-2015) for kindergarden. It was just ok and potential issues of learning statistics of low scores and some safety lock downs occured. This year with thier new principal, Mr. Edwards, there has been amazing changes in academics, special activities, organization and especially safety! I trully am impressed w these positive changes and the staff all seem happier too, making this school a great place for children to learn and be encouraged. I am thankful for my son's teachers and how they have pulled together to really help him learn. He's a shy kid but has grown so much! I am hoping my 2nd child will have these same good ecperiences as his brother when he starts kindergarden this coming fall. We have slightly moved out of the area but we hope and pray that Emerson will be thier school until graduating into jr high...thats how confident i am in Emerson Elementary School! Thank you to everyone that is a part if making this school wonderful!

I agree with previous poster, this school is full of bullies. Heatbreaking for my child everyday. My kids complained daily about the lunchroom ladies so I went to investigate it myself. I was floored. What a horrible horrible experience. I watched so many kids being "placed on step"... I watched the clock and one child sat out for 12 minutes of his 15 minute lunch (after standing in line for 5 mins to GET his lunch), had no time to eat and was shipped back to class w/out eating. What an eyeopener it was for me. Teachers make all the difference as my eldest had a terrible time, but my son had a great 1st grade experience.. all due to his teacher. She was amazing and he is lucky enough to get her again this year. Parents listen to your children and watch for their growth. My 9 yr old went from thriving and loving school to hating it and losing interest, let alone have limited friendships. Once more year and I am pulling her out in favor of private education. Good luck and keep your eyes open!

This is a horrible school. My kid has been nothing but bullied here. The workers at the front desk are EXTREMELY rude, & I have witnessed them yelling at a little boy because he was lost. This school stole my daughters innocence. Since she started, she has major anger issues from being bullied. Dont bother telling teachers, or the principle. They say "kids will be kids." Kids steal anything they see another kid with. Teachers do not supervise these children while theyre at recess. Everyday she was there, I had such bad anxiety worrying if she was getting beat up. Stay away from this school!! I cannot express how bad it is. Myself, along with other parents are trying to get this school evaluated. The teacher my daughter had bullied her as well. She went from a overachiever to a kid that is failing and afraid to make friends. The counsiler is the only one that tried helping. The teacher purposely sat my daughter with the 3 girls that would surround her and push her around. Stay away from this place please!!! It has ruined my daughter !!

There is no joy or happiness inside this school building. I am so uncomfortable picking up my student at the end of the day. The principal still has not returned my call made three weeks ago, and when I call the office I am told they can not transfer calls to the principal. Leaving messages over concerns is a waste of time. Parents are complaining but feel they can't do anything. It seems like it has really gone down hill in the past two years. The people in the office make me feel like I am stupid if I ask a question, and the principal just hides in her room.

My daughter who's Caucasian has had a horrible time for YEARS at this school, which is 70% hispanic. The bullying problems here continues even after teachers and staff have been notified until I was blue in the face. They stop teaching spelling here after 1st grade. The teachers try their best with limited resources but the staff is judgmental and rude. Long story short I am trying to move my family to a new neighborhood now after ten years ONLY to get my kid into another school...any other school. I posted this here today so that hopefully nobody else's child will suffer like mine has. If your child speaks Spanish they might do OK...might...but the bullying here for my daughter has been horrible and relentless and they do NOTHING to stop it. The bus is so out of control,a report to the supervisor got me sympathy on phone but then NOTHING done and the driver still can't control things. DON'T send your kids here. They hover over them at lunch like drill sargents so I don't know why they can't stop all the Hispanic kids from picking on the white girls. We feel hopeless so we are leaving but not until I shout it from the rooftops that this school has BIG issues!

I would not recommend this school to other parents to take there kids. I went through the whole year and didn't go to my sons class to volunteer. My son would come home intimidated with a slip to sign that he didn't make his day. Finally, the last day of school I went with him and stayed in his classroom and noticed that the kids were very uncomfortable with answering their points. I think that there is other ways of showing the students involvement in class. Teachers should acknowledge the students one on one instead of getting put down by others.

My daughter attended this school from kindergarten through 5th grade- Teachers are great! loved everyone she had. Administration? not so great- by the time she reached 5th grade they were on their 3rd principal The second principal, we liked- he was addressing many issues with problem students- but he left due to health reasons (thats what we were told)- My daughter did well academically- mostly because we worked with her at home as well. Too much focus on AR over the last couple of years, not enough focus on math- as you can tell by the low math scores- lots of low income families attend the school- which i'm sure doesn't help testing- bottom line is without parent support at home, the school will never have better scores.

Great programs, specialists, PTA, after school activities, before and after school childcare through Boys and Girls clubs on site. Have attended K-2nd and so far have had great teachers, especially for K and 2nd. Kindergarten teachers work together and go the extra mile. In first grade, there were two teachers sharing classroom space and I didn't like that. My son struggled with reading in first grade, but got a lot of support from reading specialists to bring him up to par. Now he's excelling in the AR reading program. Teachers have been very interactive. They have an effective disciplinary system called Make Your Day and emphasize respecting others. On the down side, they have had three principals in three years. They have low test scores, from what I hear, mostly due to non-English speaking kids.

Last modified Emerson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.