No rating

St Vincent De Paul School

Private | K-8 | 36 students

Living in Federal Way

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted June 7, 2014

I saw the April 14, 2014 posting and felt compelled to respond. My child has been at St Vincent School for 5 years. We initially tried the public school system, then we tried a private school, and eventually we found St. Vincent. Of the 3 different schools, St. Vincent was far and above the best choice. Most of the teachers are excellent. In my child's 5 years we were very happy with 4 of the 5 teachers my child had for homeroom. No school is perfect. I agree that St Vincent has work to do dealing with bully's in their school. We had issues with that. It took a year before they really took significant action, but they eventually did take action. They offer an excellent academic education. My child is well prepared for any high school in this area. What made them stand out from the public school and the other private school was the "structure" they provide for children. There was no structure at the public school. There was no structure at the private school. For children who need structure, this school is the best choice in the area. My child learned very good study skills from St Vincent. Also, the teachers and staff "care" about students. I recommend St Vincent.

Posted April 4, 2014

Sad to say, but St. Vincent's is not a positive, faith filled, safe environment for learning. The leadership is lacking in so many ways. Although the principal is 'nice', she has poor leadership skills. She refuses to make tough decisions regarding any issues parents or students bring to her. As a result, the status quo prevails. The disrespect and bullying by many students is rampant throughout the grade levels. We have chosen to leave this school after many years of trying to make it work. The school does not have a good climate and does not promote a Catholic education. The facade of the school looks Catholic but, in reality, the catechism of our faith is not taught nor is it evident in many of the staff and student body. The numbers of students enrolled have been decreasing consistently for years and, still, no change has come from the administration to listen to why families are leaving. The negative behavior that is not only tolerated but allowed to continue by so many students is shameful. I would not recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a Catholic education for their children.

Posted March 29, 2013

I am so grateful that my children have been at St Vincent's for nearly 5 years! My kids are nurtured by Catholicism and academically. The school is filled with love and has a dedicated principal who works a lot more hours than I do at my job. Personally, I think too much homework is required, but that is appealing to some people and it's better than the reverse situation. The bottom line is that I wouldn't have my children anywhere else.

Posted December 28, 2011

I am very surprised to read some of these reviews. We have found the academic standards at St. Vincent's to be superb. If you are concerned about the academic standards at public schools, St. Vincent has high standards and high results. Students are well prepared for high school academic demands. The school is a small community and parents are actively involved.

Posted May 29, 2011

Our twin granddaughters have attended St Vincent De Paul School from Kindergarten and will be starting fifth grade next year, They would be devastated if they did not graduate from St Vincent.. At the beginning I thought they were somewhat too strict when one of my granddaughters forgot her proper Gym shoes and the consequence was a 15 minute detention. She was devastated but never forgot them again. Both girls come home and the first thing they do is their homework without any pressure because they have been taught it is their responsible for their homework . My hat goes off to the whole facility at St Vincent De Paul.

Posted March 15, 2011

We have three children who attended here over the course of eleven years. The two oldest graduated and went on to catholic high school, we removed our youngest after two years of disipline problems. Not with our son but another child who had severe behavioral problems and should have been suspended or even expelled but was issued only in school suspension and allowed to go out to recess and torment other kids, go figure. My line of thinking is that if a child has issues, giving and at home suspension and inconveniencing the parents might motivate the parents to deal with the problem. In the eleven years we had kids in this school, the atmosphere changed dramatically. I believe it stems from poor leadership and lack of discipline. The last straw for us was when our youngest son was hit in the head with a steel water bottle leaving a baseball sized bruise on his temple and no action was taken. I would not recommend this school to anybody, think twice before sending your kids here.

Posted October 5, 2010

We begged our mom to removed us from this school because of the principal. This should not be a school. Kids are at risk.

Posted November 14, 2009

This is the worst school I attended so far. Many kids are so unfriendly, and some are outright bully.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 7, 2009

My kid attended at St. Vincent's for a few year. Just like any other school, St. Vincent's has its strengths and weaknesses. Some teachers are really nice and do care for the kids (I totally agree with the names of those teachers who were mentioned by a parent poster), but they are not the one in charge. The problem is the lack of leadership. Also, if you want your kid to be treated fairly, let them attent public school. There are way too much politics in private schools. And if you have concern about the academics in public school, the best way is to get a few good books and teach your kids yourself before the materials are taught in classes. This applies to private school as well.

Posted September 23, 2009

Our experience at St. Vincent s was one of the worst experiences in our lives. Leadership is poor and with poor leadership, you have a terrible environment for learning. Would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 21, 2009

My 3 children have attended St. Vincent's and it has been a very good experience. Some of the teachers (such as Vance, Skahan, Riggio, Davis and Williams) are outstanding and could be effective anywhere. The parents are very involved and have a strong community with the school.

Posted September 13, 2007

I am a former student and I think that the school was okay. The teachers are nice and take time tto help you understand things but the text books are old, there equitment for PE is okay and students are all very nice. The uniforms unnoticable it is as if you are wearing regular dress. I think that the method tat they use to get kids home is bad. The kids have to stand in the sun or snow or rain and wait for parents. THe parents must wait at least 20 minutes to pick up their child even if you come at around 3:00 which is the release time for the students. Even if you did come at 2:30 or earlier you still have to wait for the teachers to say when you can leave the carpool area.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 9, 2003

I loved this school! I didn't realize it at the time but once I got into highschool, it was clear how much I enjoyed St. Vincent. I always had a close connection to all the teachers, especially since they always reached out to the students. They wanted to know us and help us in any way. I've wanted to be a teacher for many years, and once I get my degree, I'm considering going back to teach at St. Vincent. It's a lovely atmosphere and it was a superb school to go to.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 30% 7%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Seattle

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

30527 8th Avenue South