PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

To the parent who left a comment on February 2015: I am so very sorry to hear about your experience at our school. I am one of the Directors. One of the fundamental Montessori principles is "grace and courtesy." I am sorry and surprised that you did not observe that in our Preschool classroom when you visited, since I know the teacher well and have personally only observed positive interactions. We strive to listen to all feedback, and work to improve where we fail. I will discuss what you posted (and also the previous post about our Office) with the other Director, so that we can learn and improve. I hope you found a school that was a good fit for your child, and wish that it had been our school. (I realize my response is tardy. I will monitor this site more frequently from now on.)
June 26, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted April 14, 2016
I had 2 decent teachers out of my nine billion horrible ones. i didn't know my multiplication tables when i was in eight grade!

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted April 14, 2016
NO HOMEWORK, when i went there i thought it was great but now, i wish i was used to the work load.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
After i left i went to a different school and i wasn't prepared at all, i was held back a grade because they didn't teach me math or English, or anything else for that matter.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
No they made fun of my mental illness, and made me clean unsanitary conditions. it wasnt fair to me or any of the other kids.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
They bullied me, and made me clean up bathrooms. They mocked my OCD too. and when ever the teacher said i did something and i defended myself they called me a liar.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted April 14, 2016
I was a student there and i hated it, the school bullied me, just because i had OCD, the teachers were incompetent people who were taught by the school. Not worth the 10 thousand a year, and i was a student!

Montessori Academy at Spring Valley 1

Posted December 08, 2015
Sent our son to the summer program here for pre-school. Prior to enrolling we had to bring him in for an "interview". There were two teachers- the one who conducted the interview and taught my sons class was amazing. He hadn't had a lot of interaction with other kids and we were nervous about his first school experience. She was kind but firm with him and very open with us about how he was doing. We felt really good about the school and the program. When it was time to enroll for the actual school year the trouble began with the administration. When I we called about getting him started for the fall we were told that he would have to interview again. I questioned this as we had already gone through the process AND he had already completed the 6 week summer course so they were familiar with him. Initially the women I spoke with at the front just kept stating that it was policy (even though there was no such mention in the handbook), then after I continued to push the issue she finally came back and said that it looked like there may have been some problems with him in the classroom. This was completely new news to us as his teacher had said that he had been just fine, and the one instance of a "bad day" had been reported to us and she said that there had been no problems since. Apparently his current teacher had left and the other pre-school teacher had seen him and an was unhappy with him so they wanted her to interview with him and then make another decision before they would allow him to attend the regular school session. Needless to say I found that it was all a ruse so that they could find a way to put my 3-year old out of school. I spoke with the head of the program and all I got was the run-around regarding the policy and this "new" requirement which didn't apply to the other kids enrolling from the summer, only my son. A shame because I love the Montessori method and would have loved to send my kids to a long-term Montessori school, but any school that would do this to a 3-year old isn't worth it. I'd be willing to look at it again if there were changes in the administration. Other than that I don't recommend it.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted December 08, 2015
Focused on internal families that send there kids there. If you're not one of the families, you're an outsider. You can't teach compassion to students if you have no compassion for them

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 26, 2015

Montessori Academy at Spring Valley 1

Posted February 04, 2015
My husband and I took my daughter to view this school and was disappointed. The teacher we were observing was extremely rude to the young students. She yelled at one student (3 years old) telling her to not walk away from her when she's talking. Another student who spoke Spanish was playing and to get her attention the teacher snapped her fingers multiple times. My husband and I stayed maybe 10 minutes because we were so mad. No kids should be spoken to that way. If she was okay speaking to the kids in that manner in front of us what does she say to them when we're not there. I hope the parents find out and transfer to a more respectable school. That teacher should be ashamed of herself.

36605 Pacific Highway South, Federal Way, WA  98003
Last modified Montessori Academy at Spring Valley is a Private school that serves grades PK-8