PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

To the parent who left a comment on February 2015: I am so very sorry to hear about your experience at our school. I am one of the Directors. One of the fundamental Montessori principles is "grace and courtesy." I am sorry and surprised that you did not observe that in our Preschool classroom when you visited, since I know the teacher well and have personally only observed positive interactions. We strive to listen to all feedback, and work to improve where we fail. I will discuss what you posted (and also the previous post about our Office) with the other Director, so that we can learn and improve. I hope you found a school that was a good fit for your child, and wish that it had been our school. (I realize my response is tardy. I will monitor this site more frequently from now on.)
June 26, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I had 2 decent teachers out of my nine billion horrible ones. i didn't know my multiplication tables when i was in eight grade!

Amount of homework: Disagree

NO HOMEWORK, when i went there i thought it was great but now, i wish i was used to the work load.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I was a student there and i hated it, the school bullied me, just because i had OCD, the teachers were incompetent people who were taught by the school. Not worth the 10 thousand a year, and i was a student!

Sent our son to the summer program here for pre-school. Prior to enrolling we had to bring him in for an "interview". There were two teachers- the one who conducted the interview and taught my sons class was amazing. He hadn't had a lot of interaction with other kids and we were nervous about his first school experience. She was kind but firm with him and very open with us about how he was doing. We felt really good about the school and the program. When it was time to enroll for the actual school year the trouble began with the administration. When I we called about getting him started for the fall we were told that he would have to interview again. I questioned this as we had already gone through the process AND he had already completed the 6 week summer course so they were familiar with him. Initially the women I spoke with at the front just kept stating that it was policy (even though there was no such mention in the handbook), then after I continued to push the issue she finally came back and said that it looked like there may have been some problems with him in the classroom. This was completely new news to us as his teacher had said that he had been just fine, and the one instance of a "bad day" had been reported to us and she said that there had been no problems since. Apparently his current teacher had left and the other pre-school teacher had seen him and an was unhappy with him so they wanted her to interview with him and then make another decision before they would allow him to attend the regular school session. Needless to say I found that it was all a ruse so that they could find a way to put my 3-year old out of school. I spoke with the head of the program and all I got was the run-around regarding the policy and this "new" requirement which didn't apply to the other kids enrolling from the summer, only my son. A shame because I love the Montessori method and would have loved to send my kids to a long-term Montessori school, but any school that would do this to a 3-year old isn't worth it. I'd be willing to look at it again if there were changes in the administration. Other than that I don't recommend it.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 26, 2015

My husband and I took my daughter to view this school and was disappointed. The teacher we were observing was extremely rude to the young students. She yelled at one student (3 years old) telling her to not walk away from her when she's talking. Another student who spoke Spanish was playing and to get her attention the teacher snapped her fingers multiple times. My husband and I stayed maybe 10 minutes because we were so mad. No kids should be spoken to that way. If she was okay speaking to the kids in that manner in front of us what does she say to them when we're not there. I hope the parents find out and transfer to a more respectable school. That teacher should be ashamed of herself.

Montessori is a great alternative to the broken Public School method!!! Spring Valley does have teachers and staff who care and if parents would take the time to provide feedback, I think they'll find the school is willing to listen. I do feel the school needs to review their tuition costs as they are pricing themselves right out of the market. Regarding the office staff. I agree with a previous review - one is helpful, the other is a bit of a ding dong. I've sent emails which have never been replied to. I believe in going over peoples heads when I can't get a response, so I go to the Director who is always wiling to listen and take input. If the school would lower the tuition they'd probably be able to increase enrollment. Also, they may want to hire someone to help promote the school. The current process isn't working. Seems to me - there are many Montessori schools for kids 3rd grade and below. Good promoting and lower tuitions could bring those 4th - 8th graders to Spring Valley!! With that said, I'll keep my child here even with the tuition costs because the teacher/student ratio can't be beat and my child can march to her/his own drum!!

We love Spring Valley Montessori School! My son has been in preschool for nearly a year and is looking forward to attending Kindegarten at SVM. He has learned so much since starting, both academically and socially. The preschool teachers are phenomenal and really get to know the needs of every child. My son is beaming with excitement every day when I drop him off and so happy to tell me what he learned when I pick him up. We couldn't be happier.

I am one of the Directors at the school, and I'm also a parent. My daughter is in 7th grade and my son is in 5th grade. They both started with the school in Preschool. I want parents to know that the Administration takes parent concerns very seriously. If you are a parent, and have concerns, I urge you to make an appointment and discuss your concerns with us. We will talk to all of the concerned parties to see the complete picture; we are usually able to come to a good resolution for all parties involved. When resolving issues, we like to work quietly behind the scenes, so that no student, parent, teacher, or staff member feels singled out or gossiped about. Part of our education is Peace Education we teach the children how to resolve disputes through compromise, and that is how we like to address parent concerns. As a parent, I am happy. We ve been with the school for 11 years. I love that we have a low teacher/student ratio, so that our children can advance as far as possible in every subject. I love that my children love school! And, I love talking to them about what they are learning and seeing how complete their understanding is. --Susan Hancock, Finance Director

Spring Valley is a wonderful school. My two boys attended Spring Valley for four years and feel at home there. SVM teachers and office staff are considered family to my children. When they see my child it isn't just a student they know by name, but they genuinely greet them and are invested in their lives. The campus is full of nature, something my children will never forget. Releasing salmon in the stream, watching the blue heron by the pond, seeing the baby birds nest each spring, listening to the woodpeckers on our walk to class, and the beautiful hummingbirds that feed by the office are all part of my children's memories at SVM. I highly recommend SVM. It is an investment we chose to make for our children will never regret it.

Last modified Montessori Academy at Spring Valley is a Private school that serves grades PK-8