Federal Way, WA

Federal Way Public Academy 4

Posted December 03, 2014
Best public school in Federal Way. Two to three hours of homework every night, sometimes more, especially for older students during finals week. High school instruction is great, and a good school for above average math students. The Spanish program isn't too good. The quality of middle school instruction varies; their science program is good, but their eighth grade reading program is pretty mediocre, and sad being some of the student's ability levels, and the seventh grade writing class is horrible. Teachers can be biased and pick favorites, but mostly just can't put up with students that aren't willing to learn, study, and do homework every night. Some very talented teachers, along with a few that could be better. Your student will thrive if they're willing to work hard and take advantage of the leg-up that FWPA provides.

Posted September 30, 2014
FWPA is not for everyone! You should know what the school is about before making a commitment. It is true that they emphasize on academic...they are true to their words. After all, it is a college prep school. For those who don't appreciate an academic environment, don't enroll your child there. You will only end up complaining about the school, staff, and claim victim because it did not work for your child. My son finished through 10th, and have two daughters currently attending. They love the school. My oldest daughter told me the materials she learned in the first few months in sixth grade was more than what she learned in the years combined in elementary school. FWPA kids are exposed to a plethora of topics that one can only wish for their child. They are exposed to worldly topics from knowledgeable teachers. They are allowed to be creative and apply what they've learned in class into their projects. Kids are allowed to show their leadership skills at an earlier age than most schools; the dances, spirit week are all student organized and run. As someone once said ' FWPA is the gem in the Federal Way school district'. I would have to agree.

Posted September 17, 2014
Having done some research, I see that there is a misconceptions about the teachers at FWPA. I just have to say that it's not that they pick favorites and purposely try to make the lives of those who struggle miserable, they try to help and want to see their students succeed. I had problems with the material in 6th and 7th grade. Yes, the teachers constantly nudged me to work harder and it was tiresome, but I'm so glad they did. Thanks to Mrs.Whisenhunt, and Mr. and Mrs.Tarling, I've developed great work ethics.

Federal Way Public Academy 1

Posted May 22, 2014
Safe school in terms of gangs and drugs, but teachers tend to play favorites and makes kids feel bad. Do not send your kids to this school if your child is not willing to sacrifice their own social and athletic life for some college prep school with teachers who went to a community college.

Posted January 09, 2014
I go to FWPA currently, and the ASB President, Boomer Lusink, is very good at his job and truly an extraordinary person.

Posted August 06, 2013
The atmosphere is wonderful. Small schools like this help develop some really amazing traits in a human being. Not only does it develop great academic skills, but you can really learn how to socialize on a more personal level.

Posted August 06, 2013
FWPA is by far the best school in the Federal Way School District and one of the best in the State of Washington. My children worked hard there, learning to set high academic standards for themselves in a small, safe school community where every teacher knows and promotes the growth of every student. The values of hard work, respect for others and community service they learned at FWPA have been rewarded by admission to top-ranked college programs and a personal sense of accomplishment for each of them. Most importantly, FWPA instilled a strong motivation in each to improve the world, and I'm confident that they will. We need more schools like FWPA!

Posted August 05, 2013
I attended FWPA from grades 6 to 10 and absolutely loved it. The school has a wonderful sense of community as well as great academics. The teachers truly care about students and want them to succeed, which unfortunately isn't the case at many schools. Of course, it's important to note that, because FWPA's designed for college prep, academic expectations are high. The transition to FWPA's workload is almost always difficult, but I can assure you, totally worth the struggle. I graduated from FWPA in June and have taken and succeeded in two writing-based courses at Harvard this summer. I've even been praised by professors for the lucidity of my prose (which I accredit to FWPA.) I'm also more advanced in math and more knowledgeable about science than many peers. One other common concern about FWPA is that it doesn't provide P.E. classes (credit must be earned outside of school) or many physical activities (which is true.) I've never been very engaged in sports, so the fact never presented a personal issue. However, several friends were involved in soccer, golf, and volleyball, and succeeded in those activities (winning and placing highly at tournaments) as well as at school.

Posted August 05, 2013
FWPA is a great school if you want to be there. There are great teachers, kids, and a fantabulous environment. It's really small, which I like because everybody is able to know each other and the teachers are able to get to know you better, therefore being able to better teach you. Obviously the education quality is excellent. Just take a look at our test scores. If you are considering going to FWPA, take a tour of the school. That's what I did. Before I went I had no interest in going to middle school at FWPA, but after an orientation thingy I decided that no other school would do.

Posted August 05, 2013
I went to this school for 5 years and had a wonderful experience. I was able to challenge myself intellectually while forming lasting bonds with friends and teachers. However, this school is not for everyone and is not easy. If you want to pursue sports this can be a difficult path to take, but it is not impossible. I would definitely recommend FWPA to anyone, as it is one of the most accepting, kind, challenging, fun, and interesting schools and I was very fortunate to attend it. If one is willing to work hard and make the most out of their time, they would surely benefit and have a wonderful experience at FWPA!

Federal Way Public Academy
34620 9th Av South, Federal Way, WA  98003
Last modified Federal Way Public Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-10. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Federal Way Public Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top