No rating

Lighthouse Christian School

Private | K-8 | 323 students

Living in Gig Harbor

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $317,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted October 24, 2012

Living the faith mission. Simple as that. We are a Catholic family, and this was the best choice for our daughter. We just wish we had made it sooner! Caring, enthusiastic and genuine from the principal, teachers, student and parents. Challenging coursework (finally). Best place ever. Sorry we have been relocated East coast...there is nothing like lighthouse!!!

Posted January 29, 2011

I have been a part of the Lighthouse community for 11 years and have two children who have grown up in this nurturing, academic environment. We have been so grateful for the diligence, care, and compassion of each of our kids' teachers. Each year helped to shape them into solid, responsible young adults. Now that our youngest is nearly finished with middle school, I recognize the huge value of the incredible teachers he has had over the last two years--Godly men and women who understand the hearts of middle schoolers and aren't afraid to hold them to a high standard as they show them the love of Christ. I am SO thankful we have this option for our children. The education far exceeds many aspects of the public school equivalent, even in our district, and the people are amazing. I see older comments about the middle school lacking quality. This is absolutely no longer the case!

Posted December 8, 2008

Lighthouse is an excellent school. It definitely prepared me academically for high school, especially in grammar, math, and science. The amazing teachers made Lighthouse stand apart from all the other schools. The teachers I had are encouraging, godly people who truly care about their students. The teachers (particularly Mr. Olive and Mr. Newton) taught me both in words and in their own lives what it looks like to do what Deuteronomy 30:20 says. 'Love the Lord you God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him, for the Lord is your life.' And even though I may forget about polynomials and quadratic equations, I will carry the things I learned about God and the Bible for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, ever since the high school closure, I feel that Lighthouse has lost that godly leadership it had last year.

Posted June 8, 2008

I have been at Lighthouse Christian School for 11 years, since Kindergarten. I grew up loving every part of Lighthouse from the teachers, to the sports, to the field trips, to specific bible lessons. When I got to that last year of middle school, there was said to be a new high school program. From then on it was my dream to go on all the way and graduate from Lighthouse Christian High School. Well, quite frankly, that dream was recently crushed into a thousand pieces. After only two years of the high school existing, the board deemed it 'necessary' to close it down. This last year as a Sophomore was the best year of my life. I will never forget all God has blessed me with through friends, teachers, worship team and growth in my blessed relationship with my savior, the eternally divine creator God. Evil will not prevail.

Posted May 21, 2008

Lighthouse Christian High School is a phenomenal program in every meaning of the word. Throughout my middle school years, I had the mindset that it was a nice school and the people were okay. That was before this year high school. The teacher-student relationship and the relationships experienced between students are at a level of respect as never before. No segregation between age levels exists and any cliques and drama have been rooted out. Our spiritual growth in Christ has excelled to new heights, and our yearning for our lives to reflect our faith is insurmountable evidence of our hunger for the Truth of Scripture. We are small in numbers but not in faith. Lighthouse Christian High School has blessed my life tremendously, and I weep for all those who are unable to experience the same family and growth that I have shared in thus far.

Posted May 21, 2008

My children have been at Lighthouse for 8 years. I must say the strongest area of the school is it's high school program. The teachers are highly qualified and challenge the students to grow both acedmically and spiritually. The class sizes are small and the students respect and admire the teachers.

Posted May 16, 2008

Academically aggressive high school with welcoming (friendly) student body. Be prepared to work. Teachers are compassionate and interesting, and the students love them, but the homework requirements are significant. Weekly chapel is led by students. Bible class is segregated by gender. Nice gym, sports field, and new weight room. Opportunity to participate in sports for everybody - not just the highly skilled who can get on the teams of larger schools.

Posted May 12, 2008

A Great school, especially the highschool, if you are looking for a Christ centered enviroment where kids know the word. It's small, and there are not many electives, but all the kids are caring of one another and respect the teachers.

Posted April 16, 2008

Great for elementary students. Middle school and high school programs need work. Would not recommend as a college prep school. Nice, beautiful facility but ill equipped to offer quality programs in performing arts and science/technology on the secondary levels. Caring teachers, especially on the elementary level but there seems to be high teacher turnover each year. Question financial commitment of administration to invest in improving educational program, overall.

Posted February 22, 2008

Lighthouse Christian School is a great school for elementary and middle school. You are surrounded with Christians and are academically versed. As a middle school student speaking, it does lack students and variety of students, but at the same time you get along fine. A lot of cliques and drama. The highschool is small but it is working its way up there. For any kid that isn't a Christian, good lcuk. It is really forced on you and you get caught up in a lot of stuff you have no clue what to think.

Posted January 16, 2008

I have two children going there currently, soon a third. High academic standards, high moral standards, great facilities, and most importantly, great teacher feed back. The[y] offer extra help for kids that are a little slower to pick it up too. They have cousins at public school that are reading/doing math a year behind in the same grade. Great school.

Posted August 16, 2007

I had been a public school teacher for many years. I chose to place my kids at Light House due to it's stellar academic reputation and it's paid off as far as my husband myself and my children are concerned. Very thankful to the Lighthouse Staff and warm family feeling within the community!

Posted August 16, 2007

Light House Christian School in Gig Harbor is the only reason we live in Gig Harbor. My Husband transferred to a firm in Tacoma and as we began to look for schools in this area we wanted the highest academic standards with a Christian foudation.We Found it! We are consitently impresssed with LCS's incredibly high SAT scores and their standing in the ACSI. Their graduates go onto great futures. You just can't beat it. It's the only place we'd have our kids in the Pierce or Kitsap county region. Our children feel loved ,safe and enjoy learning Spanish at such a young age. The staff is highly educated and the faciity is beautiful. The kids are challenged by a large number of other very intellectual children that cause them to compete and learn at a higher level.

Posted August 10, 2007

Lighthouse has some solid, good things going for it, however it really caters to children who have one specific learning style. Children who struggle or have ADHD issues, soon find themselves looking to the public school system. Past 6th grade the teaaching can not compete with public schools. Teachers are paid minimally and not all are certificated. There is a lot of teacher turnover. They have great programs and parental support from the upper middle class of Gig Harbor.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 31, 2007

Fine elementary program and dedicated elementary teachers however, secondary program lacks adequate facilities, equipment, curriculum and quality teaching staff to prepare students for college. Too much emphasis on sports; fine arts program (art, music, drama, etc) suffers from high teacher turn-over and lack of commitment from administration.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 5, 2006

This is a beautiful school with a quality program. If you are looking for a great education with a solid Christian influence, this is the one!

Posted May 9, 2005

The best school and learning atmosphere I have ever seen. Children read, memorize and socialize in a very safe environment. Teachers are highly qualified and caring in all aspects of education. Sports are also part of the extra curricular activities offered to those so inclined. Bright, open, new campus is inviting and secure. Parents are involved in many after school and in school activities.

Posted February 28, 2005

Beautiful new building. Discriminates against families with ADD/ADHD. High income families. Limited sports, foreign language programs, and extracurricular activities. More hype than substance.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 7%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Drama

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (253) 858-8911

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious