Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I attended this school as a child. Back then the school system used the Step Program. Where students would be put against a wall for punishment. Today my own children attend this school and I feel the same as I did 20 years ago. This school is more about punishment than helping children achieve.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

See my testimonial. Institutionalized bullying is the mainstay of this school.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My son was in the advanced placement at his previous school and this school refused to put him in advanced classes. He will qualify next year, but they refused to test him at the beginning of the year.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Every interaction I have had with leadership has been a disappointment.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There are good teachers here, but there are spiteful childish teachers as well.

Amount of homework: Agree

They provide many resources like ipad for their students to learn.

My son has been attending this school for six months and has been bullied regularly. He is a tough, smart kid and he has talked with me about the bullying and I have always responded that he needs to tell a teacher when it happens. He says they won't do anything and I agree, but I always say, it is the first step and it needs to happen before I can get involved. I also want him to learn to defend himself through the proper channels. He has never told a teacher and yesterday I learned why. I received an email from the assistant principal saying that my son was caught using "profanity" after chasing a kid in the hallway and would be serving detention for two days. I asked my son about it, and he said the kid had patted his head and ran off. He chased after him and a teacher stopped him and he used the word "friggin". Later that day, I called the assistant principal and told her I would not be cooperating with this punishment and asked for her side of the story. She said that the bully was never caught, that he had, in fact, hit my son over the head, and that the bully would not be serving detention because he was not caught. She also confirmed that my son used the word "friggin" repeatedly and that was why he was serving detention. I told her about the boy who calls my son "gay" every day in the hall way and asked why something was not being done about it. Her response was the classic "If your son doesn't report it, he might not be upset and so it doesn't constitute bullying." There is institutionalized bullying taking place at this school. From the bullies to the teachers to the administrators, they defend the bully and shame the victim. There are good teachers at this school, and my son has straight A's. There are bad teachers as well, the kind that swear in front of kids and then expell them for saying "Star Trek Sucks" My son is a very smart kid, and he is tough, but if we are being treated this way, then others are as well, and I fear for the kid that internalizes bullying rather than deflecting it. This is not a safe school. There are a lot of good schools in Bethel School District. This is not one of them. I understand now why my son was afraid to report bullying. There is not support system here. Even worse, they shame the victim.

Terrible school! Student problems were just swept under the rug by administration. Countless times my daughter came home with stories of drugs, police, suicide threats, cutting, rumors... My daughter hated it so much she started to cut as well. The teachers never had time for her and she struggled and was pushed through to 9th grade where she failed again. Thank God last minutewe were able to get my younger daughter in to a charter school. She had just about lost all her passion for school after Nelson Elementary. She is an amazing student and I truly felt Frontier would have ruined her. Now we are struggling with my oldest to get her caught up on credits in HS so she can graduate on time. Thanks Frontier!

I have to say the teachers at this school are amazing. This is the first time that my son has been in a school where the teachers have really invested themselves in his education and made an effort to work with me as a team to ensure that he is doing well. I appreciate the classes offered for highly capable kids as well. Communication has been great from teachers to other staff members such as the counselor and front office staff. My one and only complaint is the lack of club options for the kids to attend after school.

Best middle school I have 2 of my 5 at frontier and have found the staff to be exceptional! Teachers are helpful, kind, and genuinely have the kinds best interest at heart! The office staff is prompt in returning calls or helping get answers! The school is clean, and organized. My kids have and still enjoy attending!

Last modified Frontier Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.