Nelson Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 672 students

WA State School of Distinction

Posted October 28, 2013

Two of my grand children attend Nelson. Great school above all others. Love the Teachers/Principal :-)

Posted October 18, 2013

Nelson Elementary is by far the best elementary school my children have attended. From the office staff that great you upon arrival to the playground staff that keep our children safe the students are always first on their minds. As a parent volunteer it is nice to see the Principal traveling the hallways and visiting the classroom interacting with students rather than behind closed doors in his office. The teachers are by far the best we have seen through our military travels. We would recommend Nelson to any family looking to move to the area.

Posted October 18, 2013

For the most part, this school is excellent. My son's behavior since switching to this school from his last one has improved exponentially. I am usually able to communicate very easily with his teachers if a problem arises. I definitely do NOT like, however, that my some only gets 18 minutes of recess total a day. How is any kid supposed to get energy out and be able to focus in only 18 minutes? I realize they want to get as much learning in as possible, but it's not going to happen with an overworked, underplayed brain and body. I'm sure they could spare some time somewhere for a 2nd recess of at least 10-15 minutes. The only other complaint I have is that the principal can oftentimes come across as quite rude. The rest of the people I have met are awesome, including the PTA and parent volunteers.

Posted October 17, 2013

Nelson Elementary is a WORLD CLASS School. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! The staff at Nelson are remarkable from the principal to the support staff. They are all very approachable and have our children's best interest in mind at all times. From day 1 at orientation to the last day of school each year, they live up to their words (and then some)! I am a PROUD NELSON PARENT to two amazing students! I couldn't wish for a better school for my kids to attend. I'm thankful for Mr. Boynton, Nelson Staff and Nelson PTA. YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Posted October 17, 2013

I am so proud to be a part of the PTA board here. I've never seen not only the PTA activity but the parent involvement with us! Our PTA steps up to raise money and the parents step up along side us to help volunteer to get that mission accomplished! As for the principle, he is so active with his students, staff and school. I love to see him walking around, conversing with students and staff with a huge smile on his face. He is so very passionate about his school and you can feel that. It is a very warm feeling knowing that he cares about our kids so much. He is very good at keeping parents informed on everything going on at school, a huge plus in my book. I am proud to have my son be a part of this school and look forward to when my second gets to join the Nelson family next year for Kindergarten. I was raised in a private school and was determined to have my kids follow suit. When I had no choice but to put them in public, I was nervous. I loved the family atmosphere that my private school offered. I am thrilled to see that Nelson offers that too! I feel very blessed to be a part of this wonderful family!

Posted August 7, 2013

I have been very pleased with this school. This past year was my son's first year attending Nelson. At our prior residence out of state, he attended two different schools. Every school he's attended has had the children eat with their classes to keep accountability of the students. This has also been our best experience with any of the schools. I love the fact that the students have the same teacher for two years. We've had a few problems with my son adjusting to a new school and home, the teacher informed quickly that he wasn't following the rules. I was able to work with the teacher and my son to resolve the problems. We also had problems with a couple of kids bullying my son on the bus and Mr. Boynton, the principal, was swift in taking care of the problem along with the bus driver. The PTA is absolutely amazing and does so much for the school and students. I have enjoyed volunteering with the PTA and in the classroom this past year. The PTA will not hound you for help but they do put the opportunities out there for volunteering.

Posted March 4, 2013

Though the school claims they want parent involvement, this is simply not the case. I have not been welcome not volunteer this year at all, even after being told otherwise. My son also has adhd and anxiety and is regressing with his handwriting to the point that it is illegible even to him. I have been met with resistance in getting him any of the help he needs. No simple accommodations (such as moving his desk next to the teacher) are made in the classroom and he has been punished with no recess when I didn't sign and return a paper immediately the next day. My son is also given homework assignments which take 2-3 hours to complete each night with constant help - which is ridicules for a first grader! The classroom environment is actually making his medical conditions worse & he now hates school. I have also been ignored by both his teacher and other staff, and my questions and notes are never answered. The secretaries have even ignored me for up to 30min before they even acknowledge that I'm standing at the front desk. The kindergarten teachers were absolutely amazing, however I have begun to see what I've been hearing from other parents about the rest of the teachers and staff.

Posted December 22, 2012

This is a wonderful school and I will be sad to pull my kids out next year when we move out of state. We are on our 4th year here and every teacher my kids have had has been terrific. Every one here from the principal to the teachers is very involved in everything that goes on. The PTA is also great and provides lot of extra things to keep the kids and families involved.

Posted September 13, 2012

As a parent of one child with special needs and one without, I am very pleased with the individualized attention each one is receiving. I have been impressed with each teacher we have come in contact with and how they have made the curriculum reach all students without resorting to a scattered method. Any (rare) problems with the front office or administration of the school have been easily addressed. Every member of the staff has worked hard to keep this school the best available in the area. This year the PTA is working hard to involve more dads and I believe this will lead to a smoother lunch and recess time.

Posted November 29, 2011

I was very hopeful that this was a great school when I first learned of it. The teacher my son has is absolutely awesome. She cares and works with him and us. The principle is great. He is understanding and I think is doing a great job. Not being from this state I definitely can tell that Washington has a low priority on education but this school is wonderful and I am very proud that my child is able to go here. I know he is learning here and is excited about learning. The only problem I have had is with the receptionists but it seemingly has been worked out. I don't know that you could get a better public school in the area... I can tell that the principle and teachers are very involved and care. My son comes home and tells me of the different fun things the principle puts on for the kids like puppet shows in spare time. The whole lunch thing the one parent commented about, not knocking it but there has to be order somewhere so things can keep under control so I completely understand the school on that because where there isn't structure there is chaos and if there was chaos parents would be having a fit and complaining about zero structure. Way to Go NELSON and its leaders.

Posted September 27, 2011

Nelson Elementary is a great school. Teachers work together to see that all children are taught in their learning style. PTA and parent involvement rocks at Nelson. Kids having to eat lunch with their class and not their best buddies is a downside.

Posted August 1, 2011

This school's leaders do not care about the children, only the staff. they treat all the children as if they have behaior problems. Dr Love in the most rediculous exuse for a leader.

Posted February 25, 2011

The receptionist is not doing heir job complete , is almost like she is just sitting there. she can't even check with the district that the phone numbers are updated!! great teachers and everyone who works with the kids .

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students78%

Average years educational experience 7N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 62%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Korean
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WA State School of Distinction (2013)
  • WA State School of Distinction (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 9:30 am
School end time
  • 3:35 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Kelley Boynton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Kiwanis Kids

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Preschool
Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Frontier Middle School