Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly agree

My teachers treated the class with respect and were very open about when we could collaborate together and when we needed to do the work ourselves

I am a former student who graduated a few years ago. My experience at Issaquah High school was incredibly positive. The teachers I had, especially in my AP courses, were incredibly dedicated to students and adept at teaching. I felt very prepared for college, both academically and socially after 4 years at IHS. Sports and extracurricular activities at IHS were also a big highlight of my time there. On top of it all, they just renovated the whole school so the buildings and facilities are really nice. Overall, it was an excellent high school experience and I definitely recommend it!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Mr. Jones, Mr. Haff, Ms. McGinnis. I still remember parts of their classes years later. Truly world class educators

Amount of homework: Agree

Since you can choose between regular and honors courses, you can find exactly the right balance

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Teachers in this school are not the problem it is the administration and district leadership that is the issue they are arrogant.

I could not recommend Issaquah High School to anyone. There are really too many things that I saw there to report everything in this review but the basics are that the administration only seems to care about perception and worry only about the top of the class. I never once saw the principal and had many issues just trying to get help through the councilors at the school. The worst was when one of the councilors told my son he would never make it into college and should start thinking of alternatives. This was said without knowing his true capabilities and helping him find a path. I never really knew how bad it was until we moved and got into a school that really cares about all of their students and helps with kids that just need a little extra to get them motivated and on the right track. Example: My son was accepted at 4 universities and is headed to college this fall. I'm thankful every day that my kids no longer attend Issaquah High.

Racism and classism runs rampant here. My daughter came from a competitive preparatory school where she had never been bullied ever, for her skin color. When she started attending Issaquah, many of the other students were constantly bullying her using racial slurs. The quality of the education is good, but when a student is openly being discriminated against and no one does anything about it, the school loses all credibility period. It is easy to tell other students to ignore the bullying and focus on other things, but when you are constantly being degraded for skin color, it deteriorates you from the inside out. I didn't expect there to be a ton of diversity at this school, but I did expect people to act less primitive quite honestly.

I loved my experience at Issaquah. The AP courses are great and I would recommend them to anyone looking to save time/money at colleges that accept AP credit transfers. These classes prepared me very well for undergrad at UW. Pretty much all of the teachers I had genuinely care about their students and were happy to hang out after class to answer questions. Evergreen Philharmonic is also an amazing district wide orchestra that you can audition into if you go to Issaquah, Skyline, or Liberty, many of my best friends were from Evergreen...if you're up to making studying and a few extra-cc's (sports, music programs etc.) your social life, you're guaranteed to make friends with a lot of great people

Issaquah high school is a great school with an excellent learning environment. It all depends on the student and parents support as to what your child gets out of any school. My son recently graduated top in his class, he did not play sports and was a serious student who stayed focused. He is attending an awsome college and he thouroly enjoyed his time at IHS. I have another child who currently attends Issaquah high who plays sports, is in advance classes and social balanced. He is thriving. Parents need to be involved in their child's academic lives. You can't expect to send your child to school and let everyone else do the work for you. I was sad to read the negative reviews from students complaining about socioeconomics/class difference and lack of diversity. Welcome to the real world. Consentrate on what you can control and take advantage of the opportunity to receive a great education at IHS.

As a student who went here for 4 years, I can honestly say I was disappointed in my experience here. I knew many, many students who were so sick of the cruel and harsh environment created by the students so they transferred out or started doing the running start program. Most of the students at this school are competitive and judgmental and straight up bullies. If you or your family didn't fit the upper middle class, white, cookie cutter mold you were outcasted by your peers and even the teachers and the administration. Many students of color would get teased daily by white students and no one thought anything of it. It's really quite sad because students at this school are afraid to be who they are and I have seen unique individuals turn into mean and unoriginal people. The administration doesn't do much about the bullying problem either. The education one receives at this school is actually good at times yet the atmosphere makes it hard for a student to concentrate. I would recommend sending your kids elsewhere if you want them to turn into decent human beings.

Last modified Issaquah High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.