Bad
Good

I initially loved this school. It was a great fit for my children. Unfortunately, so many requirements have been placed on the parents that homeschooling under MCP became very difficult. We were told by the staff that MCP was operating under state law. But, from reading the law myself, it looked like the school was adding plenty of their own. We left. It was tough to do because my kids had formed friendships and loved their teachers. We eventually tried a nearby ALE in a different school district. While they also operate under state law, it is a much friendlier atmosphere and we are much happier there. It became very clear that, indeed, many of the MCP requirements were not from the state, but from the school district. Some people like excessive regulations and obsessive control over their homeschooling. We don't, therefore MCP was not a good fit for us.

My children have attended here for three years. They have access to classes that I cannot replicate at home - without a lot of effort, that is - things like Destination Imagination, Lego Robotics, PE, Archery, certain science classes, etc. I find the teachers to be very involved, and since the classes are so much smaller (usually 16 max), they have more energy to teach. My kids loving having the school experience, and I love having a day to myself to relax and plan and, well, breathe. Regarding the one 1-star rating, I would comment that this is an Alternative Learning Experience school - it IS part of the public school system. While you may not be able to enroll your child in on-site classes that are far above his/her level, you can always have the child work off-site and use the on-site classes for enrichment (this is what we do). And the state has completely stepped on other ALE's that have not been operating with the same level of rigor - they will be much more uniform now. I am very happy that we live in a state where these programs exist.

Excellent program which allows a great deal of flexibility to make the choices that both meet your child's needs and meet state standards. I do think that the program could be improved by giving parents more information about the reporting requirements.

My daughter attended MCP for several. While they market themselves as homeschool friendly, their true purpose is to ensure that all the kids are following Kennewick Schoold District policies. Just one example: My daughter was not allowed to take the appropriate level of a subject at MCP because 1) The pre-requisite class was taken privately (by a state certified teacher, but not a KSD teacher) and 2) She was 2 years younger than usual for that class. Yes, you are allowed to educate your child at his/her own pace at home. But if their pace does not fit into the KSD standard, they are not allowed to enroll in the appropriate level of on-site classes. This takes away a fundamental reason of why many people homeschool. (My daughter even passed KSD's entry test for this particular class) There is also an excessive amount of red tape each month for the parent to navigate & report. I have compared it to other ALE's, and MCP has the most onerous regulations around. Under the current leadership, this school is not homeschool friendly.

MCP Wings School Is Awesome! I had fun learning there. They Offer Good Things, Even More Than My Last School I Attended To.... Good Job, MCP Rockets.

Last modified Mid-Columbia Parent Partnership is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.