Posted July 09, 2009
i am a student here and i think its a wonderful school. You make great friends and you can become friends with teachers. I enjoyed my years there i met many people to be with. Teachers are really wonderful. I love HMS. Can't wait to go there again for my next year there.

Highlands Middle School 2

Posted March 04, 2009
My son has gone for 6th, 7th and is now in 8th at Highlands. I'm not thrilled with the Kennewick School District as a whole. A handfull of teachers at Highlands are wonderful. The rest are in need of improvement. Much of the problem is that there are just too many students for the teachers, but manytimes my son is taught the intire year by aids or students still in school working on their masters etc. I hear the kids using horrible language outside when I pick up my son occasionally and the dress code definately isn't inforced. The public school system in general is in need of much help. School is a scary place these days. Highlands just had a girl emergency expelled for writing a threatening message on the bathroom wall. The police canvased the campus the whole next day. HMS wouldn't tell us what the threat was!

Posted December 04, 2008
This is a great school, my children are both in the enrichment program, and I have never had a problem with the school.

Posted March 04, 2008
This school does an excellent job at helping it's students succeed. The principals do an amazing job with the children. Keep up the great work HMS.

Highlands Middle School 1

Posted August 13, 2007

Highlands Middle School 4

Posted March 28, 2007
My daughter is a 6th grader. She's a good student and gets good grades, however I worry that she is not being taught at a challenging level. With all the low test scores, I fear the truly needy students get all of the attention and the others are just passed along. Most of teachers seem caring and deeply invested in the school and the kids. Some don't. I'm very torn about leaving her here for another 2 years. I want her to be challenged and learning not just treading along while the slower kids or ESL kids get all the focus.

Posted August 27, 2006

Highlands Middle School 3

Posted August 21, 2006
- a former student

Highlands Middle School 0

Posted April 25, 2006
They don't really have good teachers except for some. The rules aren't really enforced as much. Their discipline program 'Make Your Day' isn't working out very good for most of the kids. Over half of the students don't like MYD. Several articles have been printed in the newspaper stating kids's opinions. Not very many parents get involved with the school. A fair amount of extracurricular activities are available but they aren't what I would call great. The coaches are volunteer teachers. There is a lot of racism, bullying, and safety issues. A couple of students have been suspended/expelled for drug related issues. The dress code is never followed and the teachers do very little to try to enforce it .

Highlands Middle School 3

Posted January 11, 2006

Highlands Middle School
425 South Tweedt St, Kennewick, WA  99336
Last modified Highlands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlands Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top