Kennewick, WA

Posted April 30, 2015
I have 2 students that have gone through the honors program at HMS. At the high school there have been several valedictorians from Highlands. I believe the honors program is as challenging as the other middle schools. the new principal is wonderful. The ONLY Science Olympiad team for the public KSD district is found at HMS. They began 3 years ago & have placed at regionals for 3 consecutive years and traveled to state competition for 3 years, Highlands also participates in the National History Day Competition. Again, Highlands is the ONLY middle school in the KSD school district to participate in this. 8th graders create a huge & challenging research paper. The band marches in Spokane's Lilac Festival each spring. The only negative I can say is lack of parent involvement. I feel 1/2 the students choose not to succeed. Every opportunity is given to the students. The principal is excellent as are the teachers. The honors program is very good.

Posted February 11, 2015
I'm a student at Highlands Middle School(HMS). I'm a 6th grader. Most of the teachers are very nice and kind. The security it good, because they have cameras in the halls and outside. If there is a problem with some students in school or on class the teachers \staff work well on handling the situation. The counselors help kids that have problems with the other students or staff. It is usually clean in the halls thanks to the custodians. Teachers at HMS have unique ways of teaching us about math, science, ancient history, and others.

Posted July 09, 2009
i am a student here and i think its a wonderful school. You make great friends and you can become friends with teachers. I enjoyed my years there i met many people to be with. Teachers are really wonderful. I love HMS. Can't wait to go there again for my next year there.

Highlands Middle School 2

Posted March 04, 2009
My son has gone for 6th, 7th and is now in 8th at Highlands. I'm not thrilled with the Kennewick School District as a whole. A handfull of teachers at Highlands are wonderful. The rest are in need of improvement. Much of the problem is that there are just too many students for the teachers, but manytimes my son is taught the intire year by aids or students still in school working on their masters etc. I hear the kids using horrible language outside when I pick up my son occasionally and the dress code definately isn't inforced. The public school system in general is in need of much help. School is a scary place these days. Highlands just had a girl emergency expelled for writing a threatening message on the bathroom wall. The police canvased the campus the whole next day. HMS wouldn't tell us what the threat was!

Posted December 04, 2008
This is a great school, my children are both in the enrichment program, and I have never had a problem with the school.

Posted March 04, 2008
This school does an excellent job at helping it's students succeed. The principals do an amazing job with the children. Keep up the great work HMS.

Posted March 28, 2007
My daughter is a 6th grader. She's a good student and gets good grades, however I worry that she is not being taught at a challenging level. With all the low test scores, I fear the truly needy students get all of the attention and the others are just passed along. Most of teachers seem caring and deeply invested in the school and the kids. Some don't. I'm very torn about leaving her here for another 2 years. I want her to be challenged and learning not just treading along while the slower kids or ESL kids get all the focus.

Highlands Middle School

Posted April 25, 2006
They don't really have good teachers except for some. The rules aren't really enforced as much. Their discipline program 'Make Your Day' isn't working out very good for most of the kids. Over half of the students don't like MYD. Several articles have been printed in the newspaper stating kids's opinions. Not very many parents get involved with the school. A fair amount of extracurricular activities are available but they aren't what I would call great. The coaches are volunteer teachers. There is a lot of racism, bullying, and safety issues. A couple of students have been suspended/expelled for drug related issues. The dress code is never followed and the teachers do very little to try to enforce it .

Highlands Middle School 1

Posted April 27, 2005
My son and myself have been very happy with Highlands Middle School. He will complete his second year there. He had previously attended Horse Heaven Hills and we decided to transfer to Highlands. We are impressed with the staff involvment in childrens education. Highlands is a good middle school and should be acknowledged for their hard work

Posted December 20, 2004
This is a great school focused on helping students excel. The staff cares deeply about their students and works hard to maintain communication and positive relationships with parents. The arts programs are fun and exciting, the fieldtrips are meaningful, and the educational experience is well-rounded.

Highlands Middle School
425 South Tweedt St, Kennewick, WA  99336
Last modified Highlands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highlands Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top