Kent-Meridian High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 14, 2014

Kent-Meridian is the greatest school out there, our diversity is out of this world. Represent the Royal Power and build our dynasty as one. Rumors are KM is the most ghetto and lousy school out there, but I'll tell you what, it really is not. It may be the best, it's your opinion, not otheres.

Posted January 28, 2014

When I told my friends that I was going to KM (went to Cedar heights) They thought that I was crazy and KM is the most Ghetto school there is. But in reality this is a rumor that was started by outsiders and/or possibly someone who has had a bad experience. Also having low test scores can be from people in the school who have more problems at home. Also there's more people who have had less time to get an education because they have immigrated. Also if you want good teachers who help you out go to the KMTA or kent meridian technology academy. The teachers there are phenomenal, there way of teaching isn't just out of the book. Also if you do KMTA and certain electives you don't even have to carry a textbook.

Posted January 15, 2014

The Kent-Meridian refused to follow the IEP that was put in place for my child by their own District and the district would not hold the teacher accountable. The school failed my child and I had to file Citizens Compliant with OSPI. But my child lost 2-years of education in the mean-time. OSPI did determine that Kent-Meridian was in the wrong and they had no idea on how to write an IEP. I would have to file a Citizen compliant with the office of professional conduct to address the ruddiness and bully like attitude that my sons encounter from the teachers. I did end up transferring him out the Kent School District all together.

Posted January 15, 2014

No they don't they are horrible to the kids; the teachers make them feel useless. They make sure they don't pass the WAHSL and they give out Certificates of Completion instead of Diploma which effects them getting into any high intuition. I don't recommend this school to anyone with special needs or without special need children. The facility are just there to collect a paycheck, they are lazy.

Posted August 13, 2013

Kent Meridian was the worst school i could have ever have gone to in my life! It was my junior year and i wasn't really feeling like i was getting much attention form my teachers who were are all rude and didn't grade or teach properly they all had an attitude and even worse the principal was so arrogant He lets the teachers bully there students and he ignores the parents when they ask for help and doesn't care about the students that were failing and they honestly weren't great teachers they were all lazy and sat on their computers everyday ....i honestly wouldn't be surprised if no one graduated there because the staff aren't even devoted to their jobs in helping us achieve.

Posted June 26, 2012

KMHS is a GREAT school. Everyone is very friendly; the teachers, students, and staff. The school is very diverse; so if you are of another race other than caucasian, you won't feel left out or anything. The rumors of the school having a bad reputation for fighting and such are not true at all. Yes, there's fighting ocasionally, but even the best of schools have those kind of diciplinary problems. At KM you'll feel at home and will be treated with respect and kindness. Proud to be a GRADUATE ROYAL! GOOOOOO ROYALS!!!

Posted July 9, 2011

The best school! Im proud to be a royal! Teachers are awesome! The helped me alot!

Posted October 20, 2010

I am a junior at KM and absolutely love this school. and highly encourage everyone to come here. we have a bad reputation in the kent society but 1) we are the ONLY kent school district that offers IB (international baccalaureate) 2) we are the ONLY kent high school with the technology academy 3) Beat Kentlake and Kentwood (local high schools) in mock trial. 4) our principal was voted the 2010 best principal in western washington 5) one of the very few schools in washington and ONLY school in kent with the Challenge Day program 6) very diverse and friendly student body and staff. 7) undefeated track and field team 8) dance team won state and many many other things that makes KM a fantastic school!

Posted June 15, 2010

Don't listen to the response below from a "teacher". The WASL & SAT scores are low not because of the teaching staff but because of the transient nature of the student population. The turn over rate is high, if students don't have a stable living situation and move often they will do worse and not form teacher relationships. My son is in the Technology/IB program and does very well. He has all 4's on WASL and excellent SAT scores. I believe the good teachers at this school are part of his success. They have some of the best teachers in the district. And also one of the few schools offering 4 years of Japanese. You aren't just a number here. A very diverse school with an environment that kids can thrive in. As far as sports the coaches are great, very good cross-country/track team.

Posted September 16, 2009

As a student who would have given anything to not come to KM in freshman year, I can sincerely say I now love this school, and am very sad to be leaving this year. It is the only school to offer the IB program, a series of rigorous college-prep courses that look amazing on transcripts in the KSD, along with the Tech Academy. Even if our sports and academics aren't amazing, the student body has plenty of spirit and we're ready to be out there in the rain to support our fellow classmates. We are a family above everything, and a diverse one at that. The teachers care for the students to the extent where they will personally walk into the counselor's office and negotiate schedule changes so the student is able to take a certain class, spoken from personal experience. We are the underdog of the KSD, yes, but we are certainly more than the rumors you probably have heard.

Posted June 21, 2009

Kent-Meridian is the worse school in the Kent School district. Check the stats for yourself before you place your child at this school. Kent-Meridian as a school has the worse WASL, SAT, ACT and Athletic records in the State. If you want your child to learn how to win and learn! Do not send them to Kent-Meridian
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2008

Technology academy is great, I spend 5 out of 6 classes behind a laptop provided by the school. I really love working with computers, and suits me best. No other high school around has a technology academy, where you take classes on a computer.

Posted February 12, 2008

This school is amazing! The environment is completely unique and there are tons of oppertunities for students to succeed. KM has the best computers and technology in the district and is the only one in the area to offer the IB program. The only drawbacks are that there is a large amount of staff turnover and that the guidance counselors do nothing to help us get into college. But those are the only negitive things! KM does not deserve it's bad reutation... at all.

Posted June 6, 2007

I love this school. As a (soon-to-be) alum of K-M, I have to say it really is a top-notch highschool. The IB program is rigorus and thoroughly prepares students for college and beyond. Teachers and administration are always looking out for what's in the best interst of the student. KM is one of the most diverse schools in the area, providing students a well-rounded educational experience. Due to some recent technology grants, Kent-Meridian is leading the way in the Kent School District; each classroom is outfitted with a 'smart board', projector, DVD player, and document camera. I strongly encourage parents to go and visit KM so they can see how wonderful this school really is!

Posted March 1, 2007

This is the most diverse school I have attended ad that's great but this is not a very hand s on school and they seem to lack in the technology department

Posted January 25, 2007

Kent Meridian has perhaps the best English Language Learning program in the country. They do a great job dealing with one of the most diverse populations of students anywhere.

Posted May 4, 2006

This school has a bad rap, but it has really improved its academic standards lately. If you walk into the school during the school day, you feel extremely safe, as the halls have no students lingering. If you peak your head into a classroom, you'll find that most students are learning, rather than sleeping or goofing off. My only complaint is that its difficult to get anything done over there if you have a request. Your best bet is to go straight to the teachers, as they seem to be able to pull more strings than the administration

Posted September 15, 2004

It's good to see that I am not the only parent that thinks this school and district are absolutly garbage. The comments about the school and district administration are spot on. Parents, spend the money and place your children in private schools or send them to another district.

Posted August 11, 2004

I think Kent Meridan's quality is getting better and I think teachers are trying to immprove the school.

Posted June 15, 2004

This school is the best school in Kent! I Love you Kent Meridian

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students16%

Not low income30%
Not special education29%
Limited English22%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

427 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

422 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

335 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Spanish

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Nurse(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10020 SE 256th St