Kent, WA

Posted September 26, 2011
My son is new to Lake Youngs, but thus far, we couldn't be happier about our experience at the school. The school has a very warm and inviting feel. The school leaders are really on the ball, the parental involvement is fantastic, the teachers are superb, and the kids seem to be exceedingly well-mannered and kind. My son has already make loads of new friends, and he can't wait to get involved in some of the before school clubs, etc.. I highly recommend Lake Youngs!

Posted October 19, 2009
Short answer: wow this school is awesome! Long answer: My children were formerly in the Auburn school district and the difference from that school to this one is night and day. The principal is excellent, the office staff always friendly, the councilor... Everyone is always happy to help in any way. IEP meetings well planned with everyone in attendance. The treatment they have shown us at this school vs. previous school is a complete 180, this school has given my children back the confidence and acceptance they were lacking, they have make a once negative situation great for not only my children but for the parents as well. Nice before and after school activities, excellent volunteers....... I can't explain the previous stress from last year that is blatantly missing this year due to the excellent staff at this school.

Posted December 15, 2008

Posted May 24, 2006

Posted May 02, 2005

Posted March 31, 2005
Wonderful school. I have a kindergartener. The K teacher is fabulous. I consistently hear (from other parents, teachers, etc.) about how much people love this school. Academically, community-wise, strong PTSA. Lots of extracurricular options... As I get to know the school, I find more and more things I like about it.

Posted January 17, 2005
My daughter attended K-6 and my son is attending 4th grade. My overall rating is excellent. Parent involvement is high. I have volunteered myself several times and have witnessed firsthand the dedication the teachers have for academic achievements. This school offers music and art. Office staff is outstanding. This school is strong in all areas. The only place I would consider for improvement would be for outdoor supervision during recess to be better. Children complain of not being able to get supervisors help because 'they were talking'. Lake Youngs Elementary is a great school and both my children are happy and are getting the best education.

Lake Youngs Elementary School 4

Posted October 06, 2004
My daughter just started school in the contained classroom program. The teachers seem very dedicated to her education and she is happy with the interaction with children in the general education classes. So far so good. I agree about the principal though. He seems stand offish although the office staff are WONDERFUL!

Lake Youngs Elementary School 0

Posted September 12, 2004
I have had a difficult time communicating with the principal at this school. I have felt that my child's needs were not considered and that my concerns were dismissed and were, actually, quite unwelcome. I am hesitant to even talk with this principal. And I have had similar feedback from several other parents in the school. This principal is obviously dedicated - I see him working hard. But he needs some intensive training in communicating with parents and accepting and acting on feedback.

Lake Youngs Elementary School 3

Posted May 25, 2004
This school has the 'Gifted Program'. It seems to be the biggest focus of the administration. Children who are average learners don't get the support that I remember getting in this district when I was a child. Unless you are gifted, everyone is thrown in together and it's sink or swim. With the exception of one teacher, now retired, I have had a very hard time getting input on how to help my child do better, i.e. 'what are her specific needs as a student?'. I had another teacher try, but there was little follow through on the school side. This school also has a very large PTA with loads of parents at the school everyday, so the teachers have a lot of help. On the flip side there is a culture of PTA snobbery, if you are a working parent who cannot spend as much time there.

Lake Youngs Elementary School
19660 142nd SE, Kent, WA  98042
Last modified Lake Youngs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lake Youngs Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top